Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
They weren't alone, there are three of them. They had a bottom bunk with their favorite blanket and pillows to boot. I appreciate everyone's opinions, but I don't think its wrong to allow them to travel in the trailer, even the law allows it. Yes, I am very thankful this had a successful ending. The baby monitors are a great idea, thank you. As for the judgements.. I guess they're like opinions and everyone has them.

Baby monitors won't tell you anything about dogs sleeping vs. lethargic vs. comatose. It will only tell you if they start barking which is unlikely. If you are relying on this to relay to you the CO alarm, that seems like a very weak system. What about CO2? What about primary lack of oxygen? Better to keep dogs out of the exhaust stream.

And by the way make darn sure the battery isn't turned off as it powers the alarms. How many will do this, never hear an alarm, and assume everything is fine? A human should ride back there with them and see what it's like. (I know that is not allowed but I'm just saying you should try it and see if you enjoy the smell.)
Old 11-14-2015, 06:38 PM   #42
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
In many state people can not ride in a trailer being towed. I would NEVER put my furbabies in a trailer being towed. No matter what!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:17 PM   #43
(Dry Huunday)

"Monday morning Quarterbacking" is easy. We all make mistakes. Bottom line, Glad they are ok and thanks for sharing so we all can learn!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 PM   #44

Has to be another reason, modern engines do not emit carbon dioxide
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursell View Post
Has to be another reason, modern engines do not emit carbon dioxide
Actually, they produce quite a bit of CO2. We try to limit CO, HC, NOx, but CO2 is the natural result of combustion. Engines exhale CO2 just like you do.

And while the greenhouse gasses are regulated, they are still produced and can build up in a moving trailer. Plus there's a bunch of cars around you producing the same gasses in varying amounts.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #46

Interesting that's mentioned. We went to get the camper from storage and everything was off and the co detector was going off. Could a battery go bad so quickly in a 2016?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:41 PM   #47

Thanks for posting glad your babies are well. I will be putting a battery in my co detector. My 4 year old got the battery. I have't replaced it yet. It will be replaced before the next trip!! Thank so much !!
Hensley Cub hitch ,
jlgail4309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
Interesting that's mentioned. We went to get the camper from storage and everything was off and the co detector was going off. Could a battery go bad so quickly in a 2016?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the CO detector was going off then everything wasn't turned off. In other words, the main battery switch was still on - which means other small power drainers (like the light on the dash stereo on our unit) were also on.
MNtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #49

Sorry. What I meant was the gas was off at the tanks. No appliances were on. It had been sitting for a week but who knows how long it was going off.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #50
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if the CO detector was going off then everything wasn't turned off. In other words, the main battery switch was still on - which means other small power drainers (like the light on the dash stereo on our unit) were also on.
My co/propane detector is wired directly to the main battery and bypasses the battery cut-off switch. It's on all the time unless I physically unhook the battery feed wires. (soon to have an inline switch installed)

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #51

shared this story on another blog site & got slammed (such a learning curve for too many people some days) .... thank you for sharing this story simply because so many of us could have easily made the same decision for our pets with a far worse outcome. My dog & cat thank you.

When we retire I wonder what we will be camping in (& where I will put the parrot that currently stays home for the neighborhood kids to take care of that I was planning on putting in the trailer) ?

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #52

Thanks for sharing! You may have just saved a few lives. I cant imagine how you must have felt. Thank God you stopped in time.
TailWagon222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #53

I would think having the front window open left exhaust fumes into the camper. I have a conv. van and when driving and having the back door windows open, you get exhaust fumes in the van, under certain conditions.
Ken Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 10:02 PM   #54

I can only imagine your fear when you found them. So happy they are OK and thank you for posting. We all learn and sometimes the hard way. Regarding an explanation as to why it happened. Try looking up a representation on airflow around a vehicle. I've seen wind tunnel tests where the air flows freely over a vehicle but when it reaches the back it will swirl around the back. This could possibly be the reason the CO was entering the trailer. The same holds true in the bed of a pick up truck with a cap. All's well that ends well and you may have saved someone else from a tragedy with your post.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #55
Professional Curmudgeon

Well the detector was going off, so the presence of CO isn't open for debate. I would imagine that having windows at the rear of the TT actually sucked fumes in.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #56

I just think an animal would be very scared riding in the trailer, it jumps around alot and its noisy...when you're on a rough road all the chugging. Also if there was ever an accident.. ...not good...but glad you posted it.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 08:45 AM   #57

Thanks for making us aware of this problem ! Something for everyone to think about .
Butch Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 PM   #58

How scary. Once you do something like that, it stays etched in your mind forever. We once forgot one of our dogs in our backseat one day after we got back home from vacation. It took us about 20 minutes to realize that we'd forgotten her in the car. When we went out to get her, the car was warm but not deadly yet. Luckily, it was late November her at the time because had it been April-October we would have lost our precious girl that day.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #59

This was an excellent thread. Should be a sticky note. I would have never guessed you could get enough toxic exhaust in the TT to cause that.

Someone mentioned, the dogs might be scared in the TT. I once had my wife drive and I rode in the TT for ways, just to see how much things moved around, now that was scary. (for a different reason)
Old 02-22-2016, 06:46 PM   #60

Just read this thread and my only comment is horses get transported all over the country in trailers with no ill effects. So I don't see the problem of putting a dog in a cushy trailer with water.
ps I have hauled horses , mine and others so I know what I'm talking about.
LI Guy is offline   Reply With Quote