Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

From prior experience, the 1st thing I did when I got the new MH home was to install a piece of plexiglass over the bottom screen area of the screen door. Real easy to do and it will save your screen!!!
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover View Post
Nothing special here. But then again it is hard to find crates or anything that fits Anchor. He is 160lbs and sleeps on the couch.
How about a calf hutch?
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHS79 View Post

How about a calf hutch?
He really is an indoor dog. But when I am working in the yard, he stays right next to me. Doesn't wander, listens to commands, all in all a great dog. His size is a great deterrent, but he would probably lick someone to death before attacking.
cstover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstover View Post
but he would probably lick someone to death before attacking.
That is our dog also! Granted she is only 50 lbs, but when someone pulls in the driveway or comes to the door she has a growl that would scare almost anyone away, which is nice to have especially if its just my wife and daughter at home! But while she sounds mean, her tail is wagging the whole time. All bark and no bite!

Sorry about the off topic!
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:07 PM   #25

We bring our four akitas (ranging from 70 to 140 lbs) when we camp. Although it takes from the relaxation of camping, we love to have them along.

Some things we do to accommodate the dogs:

1.) I installed a piece of plexiglass on the lower screen portion of the door. It only took one paw swipe to put a hole in the screen.
2.) Waterproof mattress pads. Our dogs don't have "accidents," but they will drool on occasion. I figure better safe than sorry.
3.) We NEVER leave them alone in the camper. Although they are capable of being left unsupervised on a bunk (while we are still in the camper or campsite), I don't trust them enough to not chew or destroy anything.
4.) We use collapsible pet fences and create a "yard" at our campsite. I'll attach a pic or two of the "dog yard."
5.) Our camper has designated pet bowls (both water and food), so we don't worry about forgetting them.
6.) We bring a designated 7 gal jug for the dog's drinking water.
7.) Our dogs are not normally prone to push over our camp fences, but we keep leashes close by in the event an animal or other stimulus creates an unusual response in them.
8.) Our youngest pup (the "Engineer") will try to crawl under the camper to explore. Because of this, we have shorter collapsible fences that block him from getting under the camper. I've built a "Bruin blocker" (his name is Bruin) to keep him from getting under the steps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1503130330.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	26846

Name:	image-3300795714.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	26847

Name:	image-1184373905.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	26848
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #26

As there is just my wife and I, we took out two of the chairs from the dinette and put up a good-sized dog crate in that spot. So whenever we go out, and at night, the dog has her own place.
But I would guess you have the built-in dinette, so that probably doesn't help much.
Other than that, we don't worry too much. We give her lots of bones and chew toys so she does eye up the furniture, and everything else is washable.
Besides, our GSP is part of the family, and she is no harder on things than we are!
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #27

We don't really do anything different with our 80lb. Chocolate lab than we do at home and haven't done any mods just for him. We also spent a little bit of time getting him introduced to the camper before we took him out on our first trip and now he loves it. Never had a problem with chewing, barking, or anything else.

I always keep a couple of collars and leashes in the camper as I have on occasion forgot to bring one as we have left the house. Also keep separate bowls, ground stakes, a rope with clip and loop to go around picnic tables for a quick leash, an shock collar (to give him a little more freedom but still obey me from a distance), and a separate scooper just for the camper.

The biggest problem we seem to have is getting him in and out of the camper on his own anymore. While he can do it, he resists sometimes and I have had to lift him into the camper. The main reason for this is he's approaching 12 years and has had both of his "knees" replaced. He's my boy though and I have no problems doing this.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #28

We take all five of our dogs along with us, and the only mod I did specifically for them was to install a piece of plexiglass on the lower portion of the screen door to protect it from them scratching through if they see a chipmunk or 'coon stroll by outside. We have 3 dachshunds, a dachshund/beagle mix, and a scruffy lookin' mutt we rescued. At night they sleep on the floor of our 21SS (it has LOTS of floor!) in/on an old sleeping bag. Dachshunds love to burrow so the sleeping bag is perfect for them. We also have 2 large collapsible metal crates that we use if we have to leave them unattended. They fold up flat and can be stored outside under the bunk ends when not needed. For outside during the day we have 4 three foot high exercise pens that we connect together to create a large enclosed area for them to hang out in when we are just lounging around the campsite. They have their own easy up canopy to provide shade and keep their area dry.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #29

We have a chocolate lab as well (and a 23SS). One of the first things we bought was a 9 x 18 patio mat to keep the area dry. The dog is generally in that area when outside.

I bought a cheap wool blanket and put it on the couch - she is allowed on the couch (sometimes sleeps on it or the floor), but not the bunks or dinette.

It has worksed out so far - no damage.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #30

We have had 4 Bouviers, 1 Black Lab, and 1 whatever over a 34 year period.. Two bouviers at the same time. Never caged them. It was real tight in the queen sized bed sometimes but not one of them did any damage to the trailers over the years. They slept with the kids when they were young and then with us when the kids left. We just cleaned their feet off before coming inside and made sure they weren't wet. Now when our youngest son and his family and our granddaughter dog come camping, they stay inside out 5er, including the Bouvador(Lab, Bouvier mix). No damage and they do make vacuums to clean up. Your choice on what to do, this was ours and another bean for the pot. Have fun and enjoy.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #31

We had a 17' Roo and now a 233s our two dogs a 65# boxer and a 7# yorkiepoo always come with. They are free to roam while we are there. At night or if we leave they stay in soft side kennels that fold up so nice for storage. If you opt for soft sided kennels make sure your dogs are old enough and kennel trained as I've heard many of stories of young dogs tearing right through them.
buschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
We bring our four akitas (ranging from 70 to 140 lbs) when we camp. Although it takes from the relaxation of camping, we love to have them along.

Some things we do to accommodate the dogs:

1.) I installed a piece of plexiglass on the lower screen portion of the door. It only took one paw swipe to put a hole in the screen.
2.) Waterproof mattress pads. Our dogs don't have "accidents," but they will drool on occasion. I figure better safe than sorry.
3.) We NEVER leave them alone in the camper. Although they are capable of being left unsupervised on a bunk (while we are still in the camper or campsite), I don't trust them enough to not chew or destroy anything.
4.) We use collapsible pet fences and create a "yard" at our campsite. I'll attach a pic or two of the "dog yard."
5.) Our camper has designated pet bowls (both water and food), so we don't worry about forgetting them.
6.) We bring a designated 7 gal jug for the dog's drinking water.
7.) Our dogs are not normally prone to push over our camp fences, but we keep leashes close by in the event an animal or other stimulus creates an unusual response in them.
8.) Our youngest pup (the "Engineer") will try to crawl under the camper to explore. Because of this, we have shorter collapsible fences that block him from getting under the camper. I've built a "Bruin blocker" (his name is Bruin) to keep him from getting under the steps.
That seems like alot of fencing for the pups, where do you store it all?
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #33

Those fences come in handy even when we're at home with the wolf-pack.

When traveling, they fold to a reasonable dimension and don't take up TOO much room in the bed of our pickup.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #34

We have Cody, a 26lb puggle. He has camped with us in the pop-up and never had an issue. He's 6 or 7 years old (rescued) so he's very calm. He did bark any time someone approached the pop-up, so I know to expect that with our 23SS. We slept in the Roo a few nights ago and he always leaves his bed and squeezes between us. Even when we go bike riding we have a little trailer so he does pretty good. Not even slightly destructive and he doesn't drool, but he sure does shed. Thankfully we have a rainbow and it makes light work of all messes.
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #35

Everywhere I go, my Malamute goes along. She has adapted to the popup as fast as she adapted to the tent. She does not bark, but she can howl like a wolf at times. She is 15 months old, 90 lbs, and since she was six months, she has never chewed on anything other than her chew toys.
At night, she sleeps on the couch or on the back bed....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #36

We take our cock-a-poo and miniature dachshund on all of our trips. They have always been kenneled when we leave the house and its the same when we are in the 5er. They also have their own beds for night time at home that go in the back seat of the truck and then in the 5er once we are set up.

They are on long leashes when out side at the campground.

We do all we can to keep the camping experience as close to what we do with them at home. Keeping it simple for them helps keep our camping experience positive.
coderider is offline   Reply With Quote