Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM   #31
We had a 17' Roo and now a 233s our two dogs a 65# boxer and a 7# yorkiepoo always come with. They are free to roam while we are there. At night or if we leave they stay in soft side kennels that fold up so nice for storage. If you opt for soft sided kennels make sure your dogs are old enough and kennel trained as I've heard many of stories of young dogs tearing right through them.

buschmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #32
Originally Posted by biken201 View Post
We bring our four akitas (ranging from 70 to 140 lbs) when we camp. Although it takes from the relaxation of camping, we love to have them along.

Some things we do to accommodate the dogs:

1.) I installed a piece of plexiglass on the lower screen portion of the door. It only took one paw swipe to put a hole in the screen.
2.) Waterproof mattress pads. Our dogs don't have "accidents," but they will drool on occasion. I figure better safe than sorry.
3.) We NEVER leave them alone in the camper. Although they are capable of being left unsupervised on a bunk (while we are still in the camper or campsite), I don't trust them enough to not chew or destroy anything.
4.) We use collapsible pet fences and create a "yard" at our campsite. I'll attach a pic or two of the "dog yard."
5.) Our camper has designated pet bowls (both water and food), so we don't worry about forgetting them.
6.) We bring a designated 7 gal jug for the dog's drinking water.
7.) Our dogs are not normally prone to push over our camp fences, but we keep leashes close by in the event an animal or other stimulus creates an unusual response in them.
8.) Our youngest pup (the "Engineer") will try to crawl under the camper to explore. Because of this, we have shorter collapsible fences that block him from getting under the camper. I've built a "Bruin blocker" (his name is Bruin) to keep him from getting under the steps.
That seems like alot of fencing for the pups, where do you store it all?

2011 Forest River Georgetown 350ts
Where We Have Been
RV Guide for rv mods and rv tips
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #33
Those fences come in handy even when we're at home with the wolf-pack.

When traveling, they fold to a reasonable dimension and don't take up TOO much room in the bed of our pickup.
11' Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
12' Rockwood Roo 233S
Current: AZ
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #34
We have Cody, a 26lb puggle. He has camped with us in the pop-up and never had an issue. He's 6 or 7 years old (rescued) so he's very calm. He did bark any time someone approached the pop-up, so I know to expect that with our 23SS. We slept in the Roo a few nights ago and he always leaves his bed and squeezes between us. Even when we go bike riding we have a little trailer so he does pretty good. Not even slightly destructive and he doesn't drool, but he sure does shed. Thankfully we have a rainbow and it makes light work of all messes.
Greg, Barbara and Cody the wonder-pup.
2014 FR3 30DS
(and 2 200cc Scooters)
PhotoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:21 PM   #35
Everywhere I go, my Malamute goes along. She has adapted to the popup as fast as she adapted to the tent. She does not bark, but she can howl like a wolf at times. She is 15 months old, 90 lbs, and since she was six months, she has never chewed on anything other than her chew toys.
At night, she sleeps on the couch or on the back bed....

Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #36
We take our cock-a-poo and miniature dachshund on all of our trips. They have always been kenneled when we leave the house and its the same when we are in the 5er. They also have their own beds for night time at home that go in the back seat of the truck and then in the 5er once we are set up.

They are on long leashes when out side at the campground.

We do all we can to keep the camping experience as close to what we do with them at home. Keeping it simple for them helps keep our camping experience positive.

coderider is offline   Reply With Quote