Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Monitoring dogs

I want to be able to monitor what my dogs are doing in my RV with my iPhone. A real bonus would be to be able to speak to them through a speaker ( as in, "Odie! Off the couch!). Any recommendations?

Thanks, DogDude
DogDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:21 PM   #2

Anything is possible but the first thing to consider is the bandwidth it would take. If you are not someplace that has free wifi this could use up some bandwidth on your data plan. How many hours a day would you need this? Rather than real time video you want to find a system that sends a snapshot every minute or so. A lot less bandwidth that way. Is there a computer that stays in your camper while you are gone?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:14 AM   #3

Between businesses and my home we have about 100 cameras..all kinds...ip, wiress, ptz, infrared, you name it...

As prev alluded bandwidth will be your main issue. You have to have a way to get the vid signal from the camper (either cellular or wif) to your iphone....if you do have a WiFi source, and want to keep it simple there are several baby monitor setups designed just for this that offer 2 way, as well as tilt and zoom.

What type of service do you have acess to and we can help more! ...
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #4

Bandwidth, etc

Thanks for the quick responses. I don't think bandwidth would be a problem. This would only be used for several hours at a time and a couple-three times a month. Less after we can depend upon the training. And we would use it to make sure the dogs are both OK and not creating a ruckus while we visit dog-unfriendly places like museums. So wifi won't do it. We would need an uplink or cloud access. Continuos monitoring wouldn't be essential if a system could be found that could be activated and turned of by iPhone. And yes, a computer will be available. Finally, a use for a clunky old desktop!
DogDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #5

Perhaps this would work for you.

Amazon.com : Dropcam Pro Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Camera : Complete Surveillance Systems : Camera & Photo
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote