Old 09-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #21
Question for all you with cats....I took my old girl into the trailer for the first time this morning figuring I'd do that each day a few times and let her
stay in while I'm on the computer or something. She did pretty good, I held her, we went into each room, then I put her on the bed (made up with things from the house) and she wandered around a bit...THEN she went to the window and her claws became affixed to the screen! She didn't panic, I was able to peel the claws out of the screen so all was ok. What I'm wondering is if any of you have replaced/changed/covered the screens to
prevent the claw/screen interaction. Thanks for any ideas.

2014 RAM 3500 4x4 diesel
2017 Work & Play Toy Hauler 30WRS
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #22
My cats have all been declawed (I know, inhumane) so clawing screens has not been an issue. I have to watch my cat to be sure he does not push the screens out using his head or body.

"Integrity simply means not violating one's own identity." Erich Fromm
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #23
Sometimes Bella goes on a bit of a tear in the trailer (a good sign that some outside time is due) or we can hear her scratching at something she shouldn't (usually at night and her name, harshly whispered, is usually enough to get her to stop). No screen scratching though.

We can usually tell when she's ready for some outside time.

Restcure (formerly JD and Beastlet)
2012 Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2701SS > ProPride 3P 1400 > 2013 F150 FX4 SC EB LB max tow 3.73s
John, Dawn, daughter Emily and Bella the camping kitty

illegitimi non carborundum
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #24
Time for soft paws ... rubber nail caps that you replace monthly & work great for the kitties....
Camping since May 2013 .... FL & GA only so far .... loving it!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
Ha! Love the picture of Bella - I'm servant to Ella!
Ella spent about an hour in the TH with me this morning and did
pretty well. Investigated every corner and did lay on my desk for
a bit while I was at the computer. That's a familiar spot for her.

So, I think I'll just wait and see. She's 18 and has been in the
country both in the house and out her whole life. I live in a log home and she's never clawed inside the house (I think she read my mind) but does
have scratching posts, plus acres of forest outside. She'll get used
to the smaller house....hopefully!

Thanks for all the replies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ella.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	119666  
2014 RAM 3500 4x4 diesel
2017 Work & Play Toy Hauler 30WRS
OldGal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #26
Travelling with 7 cats and a parrot

They all travel in the truck in individual carriers. Except the bird. He travels in his cage. They all cry from time to time but settle down for the most part. One does have car sickness issues. We usually give him a very small sedative. It takes a couple of them a day once at the campground to settle. Once they do, they all enjoy looking out the windows.
Attached Images
karpcbk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #27
Site Team
Cat on the road follow up-- We took Lucy to Gulf shores last week. After the first couple of days in the truck she settled down pretty good and by the end of the trip she knew her place was laying on a towel in the middle of the center console between us. No problem there!

At night it's a different story. She is definitely a night player. At home we have a 2 story house with full basement and she has the run of the house.
She rarely comes in the bedroom and we occasionally hear her "stampeding" around down stairs at night we sleep fine. In our trailer which is basically one room with no doors to block off the bed she didn't let us have much un-interrupted sleep. Every night she would play, jump, climb and occasionally scratch everywhere! We are re-considering the decision to not have her de-clawed but that's not the big problem. She just won't let us sleep more than a couple hours at a time.... We're looking for someone to keep her while we travel on long trips or we'll have to pony up $500 to board her this winter when we hope to head to AZ for a month.
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:12 PM   #28
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Greetings! I've just spent nearly an hour reading most of the "cat tales" in the Pets forum. Thanks for sharing your stories!

We have a 2 year old rescue kitty. Lucy is a Tortoiseshell short hair.
She is OK in the trailer once we arrive but not so happy in the truck. She just
wants to move all the time like she is trying to find a safe place. We just took
her on a 1 hour trial run to a state park for 2 nights. She was very nervous
in the truck with wild eyes and she mewed quietly every couple minutes. She is not normally a lap cat but my wife tried to hold her some and once managed to get her to lay down on the center console for 10-15 minutes but the rest of the time she was on the move.

Some of the previous discussions mentioned letting their cat ride in the
trailer. Not sure if we want to try that. She might burrow under the bed
blankets as she did at first arrival in the CG but I'm worried she might hurt
herself jumping around in the bouncy trailer.
Others mentioned keeping them in a cage in the truck. I guess we'll give that a try. We started with her in a cat carrier and she seemed to do a little better in that but she did cry some.

Still others mentioned kiddy benadryl. I'm going to ask our vet about that.
I think she might be more comfortable if she was sedated slightly. We need
to make this work as we're heading to Gulf State park for a week next month and hoping to spend a month somewhere in the south next winter.

Now the fact that she is a night player is another thing but we can live with
that I guess. She loves to chase her fuzzy ball at all hours of the night!
In a big 2 story house, that's fine. In a basic one room trailer not so much....
I'll attach a pic. We really love cats but didn't go looking for one as we were just ready to retire and hit the road! We were walking in the boonies and she jumped out of a soy bean field and started doing figure 8s around our ankles. What are ya gonna do?? We couldn't find anyone to take her so she adopted us!
Here are some pictures of her first camping trip. She was pretty wild eyed in the truck but adapted to the trailer right away. She was watching the deer out the door in the first 2.
Cat cages with open doors, offer a secure place. Works with our two cats!
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #29
I was going to suggest the same thing. Have you thought about putting Lucy in a crate/carrier at night? I got a new carrier for my cat that is larger than a standard sized carrier but not huge. I introduced my cat to the new carrier by putting it on the floor with the door open (at home), putting a cat nip toy inside and letting him come/go as he pleased. He was a little suspicious at first but he now views the carrier as his house and spends time in the carrier regularly so I leave the carrier on the floor for him when we are not traveling. I got the carrier at a thrift store for $5, rather than paying $35+ at a retailer. Another thought that occurred to me: do you have cat toys out for Lucy 24/7? If so, try putting them up at night as I do with my cat. He then settles down because he can't be batting and slamming his cat nip around the TT when I'm trying to sleep. I'd hate to see you have to board Lucy while you go to AZ; think of the adventures she will miss! But I also understand you need your sleep.

"Integrity simply means not violating one's own identity." Erich Fromm
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote