Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM   #21

I agree, you will know when it is time. And may I suggest you have the vet come to your house - it is so worth it to be in your own place during this sad time.
JustPutzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony5oh View Post
What does your vet say about the dog's specific issues and overall health?
That info and quality of life are what we've used with our previous pets.
X2
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 PM   #23

We had to say goodbye to our 15-year-old Pomeranian last fall. She was blind, deaf and barely eating but enjoying traveling and staying in the camper. Last summer we drove from NJ to FL with her for a 2 week vacation, her last trip. Toward the end, she would only eat baby food spoon-fed from a jar. Our vet said that the only reason she was eating was to please us. At that point, we knew it was time. It was just before our fall trip with the camper.
kawac14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunseekerFunseekers View Post
One other suggestion - get another dog ASAP,
First I want to thank all who offered advice and shared their personal losses. Very much appreciated.

As for getting another dog, my Daughter brought this question up a few days ago. At this point I doubt I will. Every pet my wife and I had lived at least 14 years with four cats living over 20 years (one 22). Since I'm no spring chicken I'm not sure I want to start with another pet only to leave it. Sure, my Son and Daughter would step in to see it didn't end in a shelter but like I said, I'm not sure I want to make a promise to a pet that I'm not sure I can keep.

Once again, thank you all for your contributions.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #25

This should always be tough ... then we know your pet was well loved in life.

As a veterinarian I counsel others all the time about this decision (& am considering a mobile practice for when we start more full time after some of the stories I have heard when you are trying to find the right vet to help when on the road).

As others have said ...you will know. Let me also share what helps me make that decision. I put a 'G' or 'B' on my calendar each night for good day or bad day & when the 'B's start adding up it makes it a bit easier to return my pet's unconditional love thru euthanasia instead of making them suffer another day for me.

Our last pup left in August this past year & DH could not recognize that it was time. I had him read a series of Quality Of Life items out loud (because he had been setting it aside for 2 weeks or so) that I use to help my clients in this decision:
These should be evaluated in light of how many times in the past week for quality of life evaluation. There were numbers & weighted analysis given to each of these items but I really just found them honest to evaluate in light of your own pet :

lack of energy
decreased appetite
vomit
diarrhea
reluctant to get up
confused or disoriented
short of breath
discomfort or pain

enjoyed being with me
playful
showed normal affection
enjoyed being pet
did favorite activities
slept well overnight
wagged tail
acted like normal self

trouble getting up or lying down
trouble going for a walk
accident in the house
fell or lost balance
did not eat normal food
trouble getting comfortable
need to treat pet interferes with owners schedule

Finally our dog did not follow him out to the camper when we were getting ready to travel again... had to euthanize her the next day :-( .... but remember this is done out of love. Please feel free to PM me if you have further concerns (anyone reading this at anytime I will always be available to fellow FROG members).
Attached Images

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
First I want to thank all who offered advice and shared their personal losses. Very much appreciated.

As for getting another dog, my Daughter brought this question up a few days ago. At this point I doubt I will. Every pet my wife and I had lived at least 14 years with four cats living over 20 years (one 22). Since I'm no spring chicken I'm not sure I want to start with another pet only to leave it. Sure, my Son and Daughter would step in to see it didn't end in a shelter but like I said, I'm not sure I want to make a promise to a pet that I'm not sure I can keep.

Once again, thank you all for your contributions.
I was a practicing veterinarian for 50 years and there is no one size fits all advice, but as many have said...you will know if you are tuned into the quality of life your pet is experiencing...tempered with the advice of a compassionate veterinarian. Regarding getting another dog, we put down our last dog 2+ years ago, and agonized over getting another dog at our age.
Soon to be 80, we realized the dog would probably outlive us, but we selfishly got two puppies after almost 2 years, and I must say it has not been easy, but it has been a positive thing...I smile each day at their antics and would do it all again. They have been to Newfoundland and back and ready to go to Florida next week. Only you know what is best for your situation....All the best...
Old 02-19-2019, 09:22 PM   #27

This happens so often here. Campers are such a special breed, We have lost two pets since I joined the forum. I don't have any advice for you that others have not given you. I just say that our doodle Bailey is just waiting for us on the other side. God bless
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #28

Our hearts go out to you. We have had to put two cats down in the past. Last one had lung cancer and she would sleep in her bed next to the couch while I was reading and I could just hear her laboring to breathe. Vet confirmed only going to get worse so gave the go ahead. Someone said it - never gets easier to do. Broke our hearts both times. They say it's the last act of love, but it sure doesn't feel that way at the time. Our current cat does not come camping (FR Flagstaff popup) with us by her choice - hates driving in the car unlike a lot of dogs we see.
LukeGvRw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:58 AM   #29

Quality of Life

I have worked in veterinary medicine for almost 35 years and I have to tell you that there is no cut and dried set of rules for when "it is time. " I tell people that it boils down to the pet's quality of life and that assessment includes the pet's family's ability to care for it's special needs. Your pup is eating and has good body functions and follows you around but that one walk where he couldn't would be a potential signal. How does he do when he can't go with you or find you? Does he become anxious? As long as he is content and body functions are normal and you are comfortable dealing with things then it is not yet time. Don't let anyone try to talk you into doing anything just because they callously think that is what you should do. When the time comes though, try to avoid the pitfall afterwards of second guessing yourself. Hard as it is to make the decision, you make it out of the love you and your late wife had for him. It is a gift.
jnbghldn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #30

First thing you have to come to grips with is that you are the dogs keeper. It is up to you and that sometimes requires some tough love on yourself and your dog.

Quality of life which means no pain and when your dog can no longer function, this is where the tough love on yourself come in.

Keep in mind some vets will drag it out just to make a buck.

With 6 dogs now down to 4 and dogs, all my life and no kids my exp with vets has run the gamut of know and love and don't know and don't care.

Our dogs ARE our children!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Like everyone, I've lost friends and family, and even had my best friend die in my arms. But those of us who surround ourselves with lives more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle that is easily shattered. Nothing compares to loss of having to say goodbye to our furry family.
Instant tear to my eyes. I miss my Coon Hound every single day and he has been gone 3 years.

Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:38 PM   #31

This is a very touchy and sad subject...but one that we all must deal with at times.

My take on it is do it for them, on your terms but on a good day.

We had to to make the decision regarding our 14 year old lab/border collie mix about a year and a half ago. It was hard.

Her body was shutting down as the nerves in her back end were making it more and more difficult to navigate around the house and yard and she was losing control of her bladder. Mentally, she was there, physically, she was declining.

We spoke to the vet and the best advice that we got was that our pets live for us and in the moment. They don't look forward to birthdays, graduations, weekends, etc. The only thing they really know is that if we are happy, they are too. And, if we are stressed, they are too.

It was a hard reality to acknowledge that we had control of her pain. Sure we could keep her around longer (for us) but the stress and pain of her unintentional accidents around the house, inability to walk, my sleepless nights up with her were beginning to wear on my wife and me.

We had a vet appointment on a Thursday and scheduled her to be euthanized the following Wednesday. That week was bitter sweet to say the least. We spoiled her rotten, she did her favorite activity (herding the chickens into the coop) and we CRIED....A LOT!!!.

It was a terrible week, but on her final day, she went out on a high note. My kids' memory of her is that she passed away as a capable, happy being that wasn't in pain or suffering. And, while extremely sad leaving the vet, it was a weight lifted off my shoulders that I wasn't worrying and stressing about her well being...I knew she was well again.

My final point, do look at their quality of life but also examine your own. Recognize underlying stress and pain you're having that is caused by their pain and stress. It's a damn tough decision but can be better for both.

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:27 PM   #32
waybeck2018

We have five urns on our mantle, and expect soon to have another. Our girl is 14 with congestive heart failure. But, still eats good, frisky at times and senile at others. But, like many here have said, they will let you know when they are too tired to continue. I can not explain how we know, we just do. We have had this same bloodline (dachshund) since 1972. We are blessed to have a five year old now also.

Looking Forward to Completing This Map Soon !
waybeck2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #33
waybeck2018

This is a very fitting and true picture for this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook951550711198636.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	197253  

Old 02-20-2019, 09:03 PM   #34

Sympathy to you at this hard time. We've been there before and will be again. I've loved every dog we ever had over the last 40 years but the one we lost 5 years ago was "my" special dog. A piece of me went with him. I still think of him each and every day. He had a degenerative disease and we fought it long and hard. We debated the "right" time over and over again. With our vet's help we determined when that would be - and that was when he wasn't having fun any more. We too had sworn to not own another dog - and we lasted 2 years lol. We rescued a pup and haven't regretted it. If you fear leaving a pet behind, don't forget that it doesn't have to be young. There are wonderful dogs of all ages waiting for love.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:08 PM   #35

We rescued a 13 year old Golden girl that was abandoned at the county pound. Had her 1 month shy of 3 years. She loved the RV, thought it was for her! There are plenty out there that need and can give love!
Old 02-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
Sympathy to you at this hard time. We've been there before and will be again. I've loved every dog we ever had over the last 40 years but the one we lost 5 years ago was "my" special dog. A piece of me went with him. I still think of him each and every day. He had a degenerative disease and we fought it long and hard. We debated the "right" time over and over again. With our vet's help we determined when that would be - and that was when he wasn't having fun any more. We too had sworn to not own another dog - and we lasted 2 years lol. We rescued a pup and haven't regretted it. If you fear leaving a pet behind, don't forget that it doesn't have to be young. There are wonderful dogs of all ages waiting for love.

This could be my story too - except we only lasted 33 days without a Lab in the house

My Buddy a yellow lab was MY dog thru and thru ....he was dumped at a friends and we brought him H❣️ME to be loved with all my heart - he too contracted a debilitating condition that was not caught until too late

When it was time, he was in my arms - he joined some awesome companions [emoji252] at the [emoji304] Bridge - bless you !
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:40 PM   #37

I will tell you what my ex wife said when she had to decide when!
She said, "all her life Freckles depended on me to take care of her! And I have to decide when its time, not for me, but for her!"
And I beg you, be there with him, holding him!!
I'm apraying unceasingly for yours and his comfort!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:45 PM   #38
waybeck2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
Like everyone, I've lost friends and family, and even had my best friend die in my arms. But those of us who surround ourselves with lives more temporary than our own live within a fragile circle that is easily shattered. Nothing compares to loss of having to say goodbye to our furry family.
This is a fitting reminder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All of his life.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	197444  

Old 02-23-2019, 09:55 PM   #39

Opening question has been answered

I want to thank everyone who's contributed their stories and how one knows "when it's time".

For my pup that time was yesterday. He went to join my departed wife from my arms.

His name was Sami and he loved to camp.

This was from a trip he and I took last fall and he loved his chair.

Thanks again.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:34 AM   #40

I’m so sorry [emoji22]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote