Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 PM   #1

new to camping with a dog/puppy

Suggestions and advice on first time camping with a pet...never took my other dogs camping with us but want to start with our new girl...she's only 14 weeks and we just got her. What should we do to get her used to the TT? Where does a dog sleep who is used to a crate. How do you keep them somewhat clean? Are you "stuck" at the site since you can't leave them in the TT without supervision? Any ideas would be appreciated...
mlrxaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 11:43 PM   #2

Well, every dog is different.
We have a 11 year old "Chorkie", she's not a barker or a whiner. We keep her in a 20 x 32 ish crate with her favorite toy and fresh water and put the crate on the couch high enough so she can watch what's going on outside. We sometimes watch her on a phone set up as surveillance camera, never a problem and never an accident. When it's not too hot or too cold we take her with us in the crate on the backseat of the truck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180829_153210.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	185055  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #3

When our Weimerainer was a pup we always crated her when we left the camper, but we never left for a long period of time. When we made out nightly garbage run we would always come back right away instead of walking the campground to shorten her alone time. Then it was her time for a walk and treat. This alone time increased a little every trip.

We would sit outside sometimes with the door open so she could see/hear us. Most of the time she was outside with us tethered to the picnic table with a long line. We brought her bed from home since it had her scent on it. It didn't take her long to feel comfortable and secure in the camper and knew if we left we'd always be back.

Just like at home a pup will require alot of trips outside to take care of business even at night. We ended and started the day with a trip outside even before our morning coffee.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

I would absolutely bring her crate with you. If she’s well crate-trained, she will be happier to have her safe zone and will be calmer if you leave her for short periods.
I recall several incidences here of people looking to replace shades because the dog had wrecked them...
2 of my dogs are loose when I step out, but 2 are still crated because I don’t 100% trust them [emoji51]
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffywhitedogs View Post
I would absolutely bring her crate with you. If she’s well crate-trained, she will be happier to have her safe zone and will be calmer if you leave her for short periods.
I recall several incidences here of people looking to replace shades because the dog had wrecked them...
2 of my dogs are loose when I step out, but 2 are still crated because I don’t 100% trust them [emoji51]

This^^^^^^^^

It’ll also help with the potty training.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:21 AM   #6

If the pup is under 2yo, definitely crate them when unsupervised. My daughter's Louisiana Catahuchi (or Catalula, stupid name!) Leopard dog is about one and tore their bed sheet down the middle and ripped into their mattress pad while left in their camper while everyone was right outside at the fire. Also caused minor damage to some blinds.
Our 11YO Lab has no prob in the camper waiting for us. Most he does is get on our bed to sleep and look out the windows. He has never tried to go through the screen door either like many others I've seen. Some replace their bottom door screen with plexiglass or put some kind of lower protector on it. Of course Camco sells a scrolled one like on a home screen door for $60!
Some CGs are not pet friendly, but most at least have a pet section. Some require the pet to be physically restrained at all times (leashed or tied up), others state under control at all times (a well trained dog that responds correctly to commands when not leashed). Our state parks rules do not allow you to leave your dog unattended, inside or outside your RV.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

My 14 year old Shih-Tsu has been camping since he was only a couple months old. Never used a crate for him at home or camping. He was well potty trained but for "just in case" we left him in the trailer with a "Wee-Wee Pad". Even with the pad, he still preferred to use the great outdoors.

Remember that pets can get just as uncomfortable as we do. If you give them a place to make themselves more comfortable it's better than the alternative. People call them "accidents" but in reality they are "necessities".

While gone we'd put his favorite blanket on the dinette table and he'd lie there watching the world around him. Also brought a few of his favorite toys in case he got the urge to chew on something.

Only time we leave him in the trailer is when his staying in the truck would be unsafe due to heat and only then if the AC is running.

I set schedule around the pup. If shopping for provisions is needed I just wait until the cooler part of the day to do so so he's safe in the truck.

If you do have to leave your pet alone for a while make sure you take time when you return to let them release any pent up energy. Treat them well and they'll have no reason to act out, usually by chewing up the furniture.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #8

Many campgrounds require proof of vaccination certs before they let you in. Msake sure all are up to date and you have documents. I bought a To camera on Amazon so I can watch our two dogs if left in class C and leave TV on to limit Barking and to know electrical is on (A/C).
Clonemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlrxaide View Post
Suggestions and advice on first time camping with a pet...never took my other dogs camping with us but want to start with our new girl...she's only 14 weeks and we just got her. What should we do to get her used to the TT? Where does a dog sleep who is used to a crate. How do you keep them somewhat clean? Are you "stuck" at the site since you can't leave them in the TT without supervision? Any ideas would be appreciated...
You leave out some important information about your pup. What type of dog and where you live or tend to camp. Crating the dog will help them feel safe and more comfortable, especially since they are used to it. Depending on the breed, some will have more of a tendency to bark or protect their territory. Anxious dogs are more likely to bark or whine. Some dogs are chewers their entire lives and others are not. I would never leave a dog unattended in my TT when the outside temp is over 70 because it will get too hot inside. Here in the south it would be unthinkable to leave them without air conditioning. Think of it the same as you do your vehicle. You can purchase temperature monitoring systems that will alert you should the temperature start to rise. Dogs probably do better in cold weather should the heat go out.

My BIL and his wife paid a dog sitter to keep an eye on their setter and walk her several times a day when they camped and took a day trip in to D.C. That might be another thing to consider. Also, carry all shot records with you and locate vet services near where you camp, just in case you have a pet emergency. Personally, I always keep my dog on a leash when out and about. I have had other dogs approach or start to growl or bark and it is easier to control my dog on a leash, providing a modicum of safety, but better than nothing.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonemaster View Post
Many campgrounds require proof of vaccination certs before they let you in.

Not to challenge but in over 40 years I personally have yet to have a campground even ask. Most just hand you a copy of their "Pet Rules" which are mostly just common sense and courtesy rules. Leash, pick up whatever they "deposit", keep quiet, etc.

One thing worth noting is that I have encounter campgrounds that prohibit pets being left alone in RV's when owners are absent (out of campground).

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #11

We don't use a crate but our shepherd did socialize with my wife's shoe. So, we leave plenty of his toys with him including the shoe now. No other problems. We leave the TV on and he can look out the windows. Must have shots up to date if you chose to use a doggie day care as we have a couple times. Now CA requires an influenza shot as well.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

What should we do to get her used to the TT? Let her roam around it while you are loading for the trip.

Where does a dog sleep who is used to a crate? Consider a soft-side crate for use in the RV. When older, she can sleep wherever she is comfortable. Ours sleeps various places throughout the night.

How do you keep them somewhat clean? Have a good-sized mat at the door to the RV and carry a comb/brush with you. Pets get dirty, particularly when the campsite is dirty.

Are you "stuck" at the site since you can't leave them in the TT without supervision? We occasionally leave our pet in the RV unattended. She is however a mature dog and well house trained and has never damaged anything in the house. She also is not a barker. We make sure to leave the shade up where she likes to look out the window. She isn't delecate about raising it herself.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:24 PM   #13

Dogs Camping

I don't have any suggestions or answers but I do have a funny story.

A few years ago we had a site at the Stone Mountain State Park Campground. I kept hearing this horn beep. Not a blast, just a short beep, but it continued for a few minutes. I thought maybe someone had a shorted out horn or something to that nature.

After a while I walked down the street and found what was causing the noise. A family had left their dog inside their motorhome while they visited the park. The dog was very active and wanted to see what was going on outside. He was running from the back of the motorhome to the front, jumping up on the rear bed to look out a window and then running to the driver's seat to look out the front. Each time he put his front paws on the horn, it would beep and he would take off for the back.

Everyone around thought it was comical except for the Ranger who pointed out that animals were not to be left inside an unattended RV....whoops.
Big Shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 PM   #14

Coming off a 3 month trip with our dog this is what we do. If we are leaving and have shore power the pets stay in the AC where they are more comfortable. I never received any complaints except for one who suddenly appeared from the back of our camper yelling at my husband. It was she who was vicious. No shore power pets come with us (we also had a parrot and 2 cats). My dog is almost 4 and she had her own bed. Wherever we placed it was her spot. Here are other important things.

ALWAYS leash your dog no matter how big or small and PICK up after them.

Carry their vaccination paper with you. If you are planning on going into Canada know the laws of both countries. I could take my parrot up with just health records, but in order to get her back in the U.S. there was a lot of documentation I would need and it costs about $300.

Know the trail rules. We have seen people with dogs on NP trails where they are not allowed. When we mention this to them we always get the dumb I didn't know answer even though it is posted. Some state parks allow LEASHED dogs.

I put a big emphasis on leashed because it will save you a lot of headaches. Not everyone likes dogs or dogs running loose. Some kids are afraid of dogs and having one come running after them can scar them for life. If a dog comes running after me it will become a football or be sprayed and I love dogs. When we are sitting outside so is the dog on a lead, no matter how well trained.

Other than that they are good to go. Our dog would be very unhappy if we left her at a kennel or home with a house sitter. We are her pack and that is where she wants to be.

I don't know how big your pup is, but crating always helps when young so things do not get destroyed. Make sure you take your favorite toy with them as well.

Most important enjoy your time with your baby. Starting them young like you are is the best thing.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:08 PM   #15

we take our Irish Setter Molly camping with us.. as to where she sleeps, um, usually half the bed :-) we also have two x-pens that we set up as a perimeter around one side of the camper.... that way we can sit out under the awning and she can be out with us without having to put her on a leash and tangle up around our chairs!!
sdavidhazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #16

Soft sided crete !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:49 PM   #17

We camped with two Wheaten Terriers. They got to know the word "camping". Make sure you have all the shots and verification handy.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerjjm View Post
We camped with two Wheaten Terriers. They got to know the word "camping". Make sure you have all the shots and verification handy.
And a 6ft leash !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:33 PM   #19

We use one of the collapsible kennels, that end up flat like a frisbee. A determined dog would make short work of one, but once they get used to a hardsided kennel, the transition should be fine.
As far as baths on the road, we have an outside shower on the TT. I set them in a camp chair and give them a quick bath.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 03:45 PM   #20

We have always camped with dogs. We had a foldable crate when they were young but soon moved to a dog bed and their favorite blanket. We have left dogs yes we have 3, alone in the rv, as if you are full time you need to. I then lock them in the bedroom with their blankets and closed curtains so they don't bark. Radio on. I never leave them more than a few hours. When outside keep them on a leash, we've had several dogs try to attack ours at campgrounds when we were on our evening walks, the owners say that they had theirs under "voice" control. Not good enough.
snuelken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping