Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #1

New to the forum, with a rescued pup

We're new here...just bought a nice rockwood hybrid. We rescued a pretty black lab a year ago and training her has been a dream, she is so cooperative. Till.....we went to a dog park in late summer and a dog decided he would not leave her alone and tried over and over to mount her. That didn't end well, as she really snapped at the other dog. Since then, she is very tense around other dogs in public places. She has gone camping with us a few times, walking without incident, no barking, very compliant and obediant. I'm afraid to take her this year...I just don't know what she will do around other dogs. I am looking for a trainer now to see if we can change this behavior before it becomes permanent. I'm not sure if she was protecting herself or me at the park, because I really let the owner (who thought it was comical) have it. We haven't been back to a dog park since. Any advise?

sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:36 AM   #2

Sorry to hear your rescue pup went through that experience. Getting a trainer is a great idea!
I used to take my dog to a dog park as well but find too often others (people) are there to socialize and do not pay attention to their dogs.

You might want to see if there are any books that might be helpful too. Seems like there's an abundance of information available but it's finding what fits your pup's specific needs.

Wish I had more information for you and do wish you the best moving forward. She looks like a sweetheart and you are wonderful for rescuing her!

interesting article about dog parks:
Should I Take My Dog To The Dog Park?
Blubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Welcome and that is a beautiful pup!! I would continue to take her camping! The enjoyment she and your family gets with her along is beyond belief! Training is always a good thing as it keeps her out of trouble!! LOL! When ever we are around other dogs with our fuzzheads we try to pay close attention to the owners as well as their dogs....if they aren't attentive and are letting the dog do what it wants then we try to get away from them if possible. Not all dogs are going to "Love" each other but I think with attentive, responsible owners incidents like you had are avoided or at least very minor! One thing for sure, the situation you went through definitely was NOT comical! Good luck!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:35 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We had a yellow lab rescue "us" last year after my 12 year companion "toby" got sick.
We "trained" max with a shock collar and life is great while camping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1423571656821.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	69438   Click image for larger version

Name:	1423571712827.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	69439  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 PM   #5

I never trust other owners of dogs. To many of them feel that there dog should be free to do as is. My neighbor has a aketa and I have seen that dog kill two cats and injure one dog and they wright it off as the dog is just playing. I have two dogs and keep them on short leash when around others. what damage is a shitzu or chaweenie going to do anyway.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

You may want to try a book titled "No Bad Dogs". I believe the authors name is Woodward.
It helped me a great deal with some of my dogs.
jturnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #7
cjearle

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
I never trust other owners of dogs. To many of them feel that there dog should be free to do as is. My neighbor has a aketa and I have seen that dog kill two cats and injure one dog and they wright it off as the dog is just playing. I have two dogs and keep them on short leash when around others. what damage is a shitzu or chaweenie going to do anyway.
Watch that neighbors Aketa. My mom's neighbor had one. It jumped my mom's fence. Killer her rat terrier and tore up her Min Pin. It then turned on my 70 year old Mom. I had warned the neighbor this dog was going to hurt some one. They ignored the warning. The police had to shoot it because it went crazy. And would not et us get to my mom or the injured min pin. Just FYI Those dogs are dangerous!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
cjearle

As for your Lab! Keep trying to socialize it to other dogs and talk to it in a calm voice to reassure everything is Okay! Keep you lab taking camping. It was probably protecting you. That is how my border collie was. I also take her to a Doggie day care to help her learn doggie social skills and to play with other dogs. That has helped her tremendously! She is now not as aggressive. She also loves going to the doggie day care, she drags me in. I only do it now about once a month or every other month. It does help. Good luck!
cjearle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:54 PM   #9

Love your Lab, don’t give up on taking her camping or out in public your dog was not in the wrong the owner of the other dog was. It is rude behaviour for a dog to continuously mount another dog when it is not being encouraged. Your dog likely tried to let the initial attempts go and avoid conflict, unfortunately the other dog didn’t get it and your Lab simply told it get lost you’re an obnoxious idiot. I’ve experienced this situation with another dog owner they also thought it was funny until my dog had enough and told off the other dog.
I agree with DreiHunde dogs don’t have to all love each other, heck humans haven’t mastered that but they can exist around each other without fist fights. Find yourself a good clicker instructor it’s a little more work than some training methods but it is a kind, gentle form of training very appropriate for a rescue dog as often you never know what they endured before you found each other. Perhaps they can also set you up with a group of responsible people who have a socialization class or group. If she is proving to be a little more difficult now to walk on leash try a Gentle Leader Halter.
As for dog parks I avoid them they are as safe as the people on the end of the leash meaning they might be great people with a great dog or they might be total clueless jerks with an untrained, unsocial zed out of control animal.
From the pictures you look like very responsible caring owners your dog is tethered in your campsite behaving with water, toys and a bed. Just try to stay relaxed when out in public with her and continue enjoying her company.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #10

Keep taking your dog camping but avoid all dog parks. Not only are some owners jerks and some dogs have no manners (like their owners) but you never know what vaccinations the other dogs have or what diseases or parasites they have. Keep camping with your dog. She is part of your family and wants to be with you all the time.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #11

Welcome to the Forum from a former Lab and now two Boxer that own us.

Keep taking her camping. No dog parks near us (not within 60 miles). But try to keep her socialized with another dog(s) if possible (friends?) Our Lab was great but protective of the Kids the day she passed was rough she waited til I got home from work & was gone within minutes..........

We keep our Boxers close when camping. Every time we walk them on the beach someone has to come up & say we miss ours & before we can speak have their face at the dogs mouth & has her "kissing" on them...... wow why would any one put their face at a strangers dogs mouth is beyond me but it happens all the time. Just expect the unexpected & keep them on a short leash.......

Labs are great dogs, and very smart....... but very playful

No cut & dry answer but keep taking her & keep an eye on her esp when other dogs are walked by. Depends on the dog one of ours I trust the other not so much keep her farther from others.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #12

We have two Havanese who RV with us all the time. The younger (6yo) female was a rescue from a puppy mill. We got her at 6 months and she had never been socialized. Didn't have a name until the rescue group gave her one when she got her shots. It takes both a while to warm up to other dogs. We don't use dog parks. I'm concerned they will pick up something from a sick dog. We walk them with a retractable leash so we can set the length. Please keep camping with your dog. It's great for both of you. My wife has been after me to make a dog run here at home. I actually like and need the exercise.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:27 PM   #13

My vet, and my own experience, tell me to stay out of dog parks. Unfortunately, some owners just aren't responsible and fail to properly control their dogs. We have a rescued pit bull who was used as a bait dog (for other dogs to practice attacking) so he is very wary of other dogs. Our trainer taught us to introduce him to other dogs by carrying high-value treats and giving them to him as he walks closer and closer (but never face to face) to the other dog. It works very well and he's made friends with a number of other dogs. Keep camping with your beautiful dog and just use treats to teach him that other (approved) dogs are a good thing!
Old 02-11-2015, 12:09 AM   #14

Thanks everyone! She is a very sweet dog, we will definitely keep cmping with her. She's family and loves the outdoors!
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:01 PM   #15

inside track

Let's just say I have an inside track on this (OK, I'm a vet that loves working on dog behavior issues and an acquaintance is a vet behaviorist only). I don't always succeed (only one of ours qualifies to continue camping with us at the moment & I only get the bad leftovers to work with) but simple tip to make your dog more comfy around others:
Get together with a few friends with dogs, have that 'special' treat...you know, the one she never gets but would do anything to have (& if you haven't got one like that for her you may just be offering too many treats for no good reason) and set up a walking event. Have that treat in hand & have friends walk by (keep some distance first) with their dogs while you feed her small quantities of that favorite treat. Once you notice she no longer trembles during the walk-by start bringing those dogs in closer, feeding yours the whole time. Eventually pick the dog she seems to have the least response to & reintroduce play behavior with showers of treats.
Cut back on her regular food during this time (no fat pups!) ...this trick also works for the dogs that always bark to chase off other dogs....they can't bark & eat @ the same time
Good luck & don't hesitate to message me if needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00801_edited-1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	461.5 KB
ID:	69485  

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjearle2 View Post
Watch that neighbors Aketa. My mom's neighbor had one. It jumped my mom's fence. Killer her rat terrier and tore up her Min Pin. It then turned on my 70 year old Mom. I had warned the neighbor this dog was going to hurt some one. They ignored the warning. The police had to shoot it because it went crazy. And would not et us get to my mom or the injured min pin. Just FYI Those dogs are dangerous!

Thanks my big problem is my neighbor is a police officer in a near by town. I have told him if it comes on my property I will have no choice but to shoot it for safety.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:41 PM   #17

Keep camping with your pup! Sounds like the other dog by mounting yours was trying to assert dominance over your dog. Your dog was defending itself. That is a natural defense mechanism your dog was using. I also don't frequent dog parks due to no knowing what other dogs will do and if they carry any illnesses. Canine flu and kennel cough to name a couple. I attend dog shows so they are protected from as much as I can since who knows what other dogs have. Introduce your dog slowly to different situations, enjoy your time camping and keep showing your pup how fun things are. It will take time but as said by others bring treats, praise and have fun. Also they can pick up on our emotions so if you're nervous about what other dogs will do your pup might pick up on it. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:16 PM   #18
Anacortesians

I agree with Cindy B - dog parks are to be avoided if your dog is a gentle, friendly beast. We have two middle-aged yellow Labs at present. They're # 5 and #6 in our family history with the breed. We got our first Lab when DW was pregnant with our first child, who will be 50 next year!

There are two dog parks in Anacortes and we've had very bad experiences in both of them. People bring their very aggressive dogs, who "can do nothing wrong" and they terrorise all the other dogs who are there. IMO, dog parks should be banned!

The only dog parks that have been reasonably safe, for our two guys, from menacing dogs have been at RV parks. Most RVers seem to favor either small breeds or Labs and Golden Retrievers.

We're glad that, now we're retired from the RV life, we don't have to worry about other campers' dogs.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #19

Avoid the dog park

A friend of ours took her new dog to a local dog park. Two other dogs were chasing each other, and without warning one slammed into her leg knocking her to the ground. She was badly injured and was on crutches for some time. We take our two small babies camping, and let them enjoy the campsite and walks throughout the campground, but not the dog park.

Diana
neikolaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:43 PM   #20

Look for Zak George on YouTube. Really phenomenal dog trainer and his videos are free (OK, there are commercials, but the guy has to make a living...he's not Batman). Total force-free training and he's really legit. I also agree with bplantcjf...too many wannabees and nitwits at the dog parks. I gave up on them years ago. Good luck with your beautiful rescue and peace!
widogmom is offline   Reply With Quote