Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 08:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Is Alfred an app? How do you keep your phone from timing out and just thinking off? Connection between the two phones is done how?

We have two well behaved retrievers but I worry about the electric. I leave a lighted decorative tree plugged outside the camper. If the lights are off, the ac is off as we have tripped a circuit. The owner of the campground is a dog lover and watches for the tree lights. She will call us if there is a problem.

As I am typing this another campers little dog is yapping...
Yes an app. We keep the one left at the camper stays plugged in so the battery does not die. Simply have Alfred call.....
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #22

Your correct. . Most dog issues are people issues. Both large and small bark the same. . We also travel with mini schnauzers. 7 of them. . No issues. . . We do the same, we don't tolerate barking from our bunch. We want and enjoyable trip as do our neighbors.
schnauzer mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #23

Four dogs.

We have been camping since 2013 with a Golden and three Cavalier King Charles.
Camper is a Rockwood 3025 Wind jammer, 30' of living space. Lots of room.
When dogs are left alone the RV is appropriately climate controlled.
Bark control, TV on (no pet channels) blocks outside sounds.
Food and water.

The most helpful control. I have made window covers 1/2 the size of the windows length. The covers are installed on the bottom half of the windows and are removable. This prevents the pets from seeing out side the RV, but still allows plenty of sunlight to come in.

The window covers are made from attic lover vents purchased from Lowes Home inprovement center. Narrow ones for horizontal windows. Wide for vertical windows. They are almost a perfect fit.

Time left alone a minimum. Nice long walk for dogs before and after being left alone.

The dogs love camping and sitting by the camp fire.:aim_snoopy:
Dylan1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 11:23 AM   #24
Retired Panpsychist

Wow! You dog-parents are really awesome!

The reason we want to travel with Cooper is that we want to SHARE our adventures with him and let him create some adventures for us! However, we do know that there are a situations where it would not be very safe to bring him with us for short trips and leave him in the car (grocery shopping, etc). Your comments have helped us to approach this issue with guidelines that make terrific sense for humans and dogs alike.

To recap some of the great ideas you have suggested:

BASICS:
1. Proper pup identification on collar in case of rescue need.
2. Plenty of exercise prior to spending any time alone in the MH.
3. Plenty of water/food/toys available.
4. TV/Radio on for masking outside sounds.
5. Shades/blinds drawn to restrict outside viewing. (See #12 below)
6. Proper climate control for the pup.
7. Sign on the door for rescue/contact needs.
8. Checking-in with neighbors prior to leaving and furnishing cell phone numbers.
9. Checking-in with neighbors after returning to make sure they were not inconvenienced.
10. Much rewarding of good pup!

VERY CREATIVE IDEAS:
11. App like "Alfred" to monitor thermostat and sound. (I see where Alfred can allow two-way communication for parents to soothe the pup, if needed!)
12. Bottom-up half-shades to allow light but restrict views out the windows.
13. Sonic bark-stopper, if needed. (May work for more that just our pup!)

I am going to have a bunch of "business" cards printed up with our names, Cooper's name, our Vet's contact info, our cell phones and our email address. I figure these would be good to give to our neighbors when we have to leave Cooper. They would also be a good way to exchange contact info with the great folks we meet during our journeys.

Thanks again for all your suggestions. If you think of more, post them to this thread and I'll keep the above list updated for the next person who needs this info.

Cheers,

Theo
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
I would be just a little concerned about leaving even a well-behaved "senior citizen" hooked up outside while I was gone. I've seen too many inconsiderate people who have their dogs off-leash - against all of the campground rules - would hate to see your dog aggravated or even attacked by one of those. You also need to check the campground rules - all of the ones that we've stayed at don't allow you to leave a dog unattended (outside).
I don't stay in private campground, but in all FS/BLM campgrounds that is a rule.

Not only troubled by other dogs, where I camp, someone leaves a dog tied up outside by itself, they might come back and find Fido gone. Then they get really upset wen Fido is gone but the mess in the dirt was understandable.

When I lived in Moab, there were many cases where people did just that when dispersed camping and sometimes in BLM campgrounds.
Coyotes love a quick meal, so do the lions who do, on occasion, come down from the Lasals to wonder around and find a new taste for dinner.

As for being inconvenienced? I just go to the camp host and report the barking dog(s) and let him/her decide what to do.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:32 PM   #26

We always take our Boxers with us camping and have never had a problem leaving them inside the camper short term. Use common sense and be sure to pick up after them.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags