Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 07:36 AM   #1
Retired Panpsychist

Newbie CG Pet Question

As we think about starting our new life of RVing, we will always be traveling with our 65-lb GoldenDoodle. I have spent a good deal of time researching many CGs that are pet friendly. As I have read their policies, I've noticed that almost all prohibit leaving your pet unattended.

I certainly understand this in regard to tying-out the pup, but does this also apply to keeping him inside the RV? I realize all the issues with warm weather, incessant barking, emergency rescue, etc. However, I am wondering how strictly this common policy is enforced. If you have taken sensible measures to protect your pup from heat/cold, have a pet rescue sign affixed to your RV (with contact numbers) and have a pup that rarely barks, is the CG forgiving of your breaking this policy? Is it proper etiquette to notify the hosts about your pup when you leave for your shopping trip?

Our concerns are for the health/safety of our pup, but also for the wonderful community of which we will soon be a part.

Thanks in advance,

Theo (and Cooper)
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

At the campground we have a seasonal site it's OK to leave your dog in the camper while you're gone as long as it doesn't bark constantly and disturb other campers. I believe this is the concern of most campgrounds. I know some that will leave the radio on for some calming background noise. Keeping the shades down too will help in not letting your dog bark at people and other dogs they see walking past your site. We always make sure our dog has a good walk and exersize period before we leave. AC/heat are left on as the weather dictates. We never leave her alone for more than a couple hours.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 AM   #3

While we rarely leave our pups inside the camper while we're gone we have done it on a number of occasions. When we do, we place a pet rescue sticker on our window, pull out our ultra sonic bark controller to keep any potential barking to a woof or two since they don't like the correction tone. If I've had a chance to meet the neighbors I give them a card with our cell phone number on it and tell them if my dogs are disturbing them in any way to call and we'll come right back. So far this has worked for us and no one has said the dogs have been a problem while away when asked.
2013 Cardinal 3030RLS - sold
jtaylor1920 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

We worry that our dogs will be annoying to others in the CG so most of the time we take them along. They stay in the truck while we're shopping or what ever we're doing. When we do this the truck is running with heat or A/C and plenty of water. Sometimes it's myself and the dogs sitting in the truck while DW is on a shopping marathon. Either way they are in a safe environment.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
While we rarely leave our pups inside the camper while we're gone we have done it on a number of occasions. When we do, we place a pet rescue sticker on our window, pull out our ultra sonic bark controller to keep any potential barking to a woof or two since they don't like the correction tone. If I've had a chance to meet the neighbors I give them a card with our cell phone number on it and tell them if my dogs are disturbing them in any way to call and we'll come right back. So far this has worked for us and no one has said the dogs have been a problem while away when asked.
Some very good advise. Our biggest fear is shutting ours up and the AC goes out without no one knowing there's a pet inside.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:01 PM   #6

We had a very well-behaved German Shepherd that mostly went with us when we would leave the CG. On occasion, we would leave her in the trailer if we were going to a non-pet-friendly area. However, we would have the shades down, the air conditioner on, a small floor fan turned on (in case there was an issue with the a/c), and we would make it a point to be back within 2 hours max. Based on her behavior, we knew that there wouldn't be any barking issues. My observation has been that some of the worst barkers in the campground are the smaller breeds, so your 'doodle may not have that issue.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
At the campground we have a seasonal site it's OK to leave your dog in the camper while you're gone as long as it doesn't bark constantly and disturb other campers. I believe this is the concern of most campgrounds. I know some that will leave the radio on for some calming background noise. Keeping the shades down too will help in not letting your dog bark at people and other dogs they see walking past your site. We always make sure our dog has a good walk and exersize period before we leave. AC/heat are left on as the weather dictates. We never leave her alone for more than a couple hours.
X2. Keep some noise on and cover the windows. Generally speaking, I'd assume your Goldendoodle is probably less of a barker than many of the smaller breeds. (I'm a dog care professional.)There is a product out there, I can't remember what it's called that will back up and keep your generator running the a/c for your pets in case your generator ever shuts off. I believe its around $300. I've been meaning to get it for my own dogs safety and peace of mind. I walk and potty my dogs first, leave a water bowl, favorite toy and bone and don't leave them unattended for more than an hour or so without checking on them. My two big dogs do great traveling and they enjoy having more space than being in a car.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
Scotsman

We also have a golden doodle at 65 lbs. If she is anything like Gracie we never have an issue leaving her in the trailer for awhile. Air on, music on and couch available. It seems to be the smaller dogs that can be rather barky. Unless we are one of the lucky ones she does not bark and you would have to have a very barky dog to get most CG upset with you. Give it a try and just stand out of sight for awhile and see if you hear anything. You might want to try short periods of time until the dog gets used to the trailer and the CG. Good luck and give your doodle a pat for us. Cheers!
Click image for larger version

Name:	10290633_1598205740440853_4830890913614340401_n.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	117580
Scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:18 PM   #9

I've seen some campgrounds list a maximum weight for dogs - at times as low as 50 or 75 pounds - also a lot that have a 2 dog limit. Maybe I'm a little prejudiced, but I've seen a lot fewer issues with the larger breeds, so maybe the maximum should be raised to 100 pounds?
Old 08-17-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Agreed! Why hotels or campgrounds discriminate against larger breeds I don't understand why, they are usually much better behaved! In my home dog boarding/ day care/hiking business I usually decline the smaller breeds- many bark non-stop, are destructive; jump all over furniture and are notorious for poor housetraining.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:46 PM   #11

Newbie CG Pet Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post
Some very good advise. Our biggest fear is shutting ours up and the AC goes out without no one knowing there's a pet inside.

We have that concern too and if it's that hot we try and find something we can do with them. On one trip we were with a number of friends and in that case they kept an eye on the power and were ready to get the dogs if anything happened.

We have mini schnauzers, which I think means barking idiot in German, but you'll never hear more than one or two barks before my wife or I have them corrected. Most dog issues are really people issues in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfarmcafe View Post

Alfred takes care of that! We have the app on our phones. When we leave we plug my wifes phone in and point it at a thermometer. That way we can see the temp and hear if they are barking. we leave the tv on and pull the shades and have never had a problem.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:11 PM   #13
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
I've seen some campgrounds list a maximum weight for dogs - at times as low as 50 or 75 pounds - also a lot that have a 2 dog limit. Maybe I'm a little prejudiced, but I've seen a lot fewer issues with the larger breeds, so maybe the maximum should be raised to 100 pounds?
No argument here! My 3 kids are all in the 65 lb area....well ok....the big red baby is probably closer to 75 but the DW said we dont discuss "a girls wieght"!

I'm in the camp of it's your camper and your animals and as long as you dont neglect/abuse them its not my business!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:52 PM   #14
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Alfred takes care of that! We have the app on our phones. When we leave we plug my wifes phone in and point it at a thermometer. That way we can see the temp and hear if they are barking. we leave the tv on and pull the shades and have never had a problem.
Is Alfred an app? How do you keep your phone from timing out and just thinking off? Connection between the two phones is done how?

We have two well behaved retrievers but I worry about the electric. I leave a lighted decorative tree plugged outside the camper. If the lights are off, the ac is off as we have tripped a circuit. The owner of the campground is a dog lover and watches for the tree lights. She will call us if there is a problem.

As I am typing this another campers little dog is yapping...
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

I've been camping in Los Angeles area(Malibu state parks) this past week. I had a couple doctors apptmts in the metro area and know that parking is scarce and small businesses wouldn't want to listen to my generator for the dogs a/c. My solution was doggie daycare in Malibu and I didn't have to worry about my dogs.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Lucky for me, I have never seen any size discrimination of dogs at any forest service or BLM campgrounds. My female is about 100, the male is around 125. And neither barks, but the male can talk like crazy, but only to me.

But I never leave them in the trailer alone, they go everywhere with me; one reason why I avoid National Parks.

But when traveling and using hotels, I have run into some that limit the size, so they lost my business.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor1920 View Post
pull out our ultra sonic bark controller to keep any potential barking to a woof or two since they don't like the correction tone.
Second the ultra sonic bark controller.... The ultrasonic unit stops the wind up & our newest rescue rests peacefully in his crate next to our other pup both in the trailer when camping & the house.

Our new pup is high energy & our old one doesn't walk far before coming up lame .... we will leave her hooked up outside the camper (can't reach off our site) because she loves to sit & watch everyone go by while we are out exercising Boont for up to an hour or so. Have never had an issue

Have considered taking our ultra sonic unit by some of the yappy pups trailers ... it does have a 45' range

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #18

The main reason I got an RV was to be able to travel with my large dogs and avoid the hassle of finding hotels that wouldn't discriminated against them. Even the ones that allow them and don't gouge too heavily with fees, there's still the hassle of lugging their stuff inside along with all of my own luggage.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
The main reason I got an RV was to be able to travel with my large dogs and avoid the hassle of finding hotels that wouldn't discriminated against them. Even the ones that allow them and don't gouge too heavily with fees, there's still the hassle of lugging their stuff inside along with all of my own luggage.

X2 - we call ours the rolling doggy condo. We enjoy our vacations so much more having our own stuff with us and after my last hotel stay, which was a $350.00 a night place, much, much, much cleaner 😳

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 08-17-2016, 08:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Without Whine View Post
Second the ultra sonic bark controller.... The ultrasonic unit stops the wind up & our newest rescue rests peacefully in his crate next to our other pup both in the trailer when camping & the house.

Our new pup is high energy & our old one doesn't walk far before coming up lame .... we will leave her hooked up outside the camper (can't reach off our site) because she loves to sit & watch everyone go by while we are out exercising Boont for up to an hour or so. Have never had an issue

Have considered taking our ultra sonic unit by some of the yappy pups trailers ... it does have a 45' range
I would be just a little concerned about leaving even a well-behaved "senior citizen" hooked up outside while I was gone. I've seen too many inconsiderate people who have their dogs off-leash - against all of the campground rules - would hate to see your dog aggravated or even attacked by one of those. You also need to check the campground rules - all of the ones that we've stayed at don't allow you to leave a dog unattended (outside).

Tags