Old 08-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #21
Pet fence

We have four large breed dogs (Akitas) that we bring camping, and when we tried to tether them it was a nightmare. They continually became entangled in each other's leash, and we were constantly untangling them from being wrapped around a table, awning or chair leg. A friend who camps regularly with dogs larger than ours (Mastiffs), suggested we try using portable fences. We purchased several fences (Precision Pet - 36" H x (8) 24" W segments (total of 16' per fence)) and they work great! Fortunately our dogs are not barkers or jumpers, but we still do not leave them unattended in the enclosure. We have also found the added use of being able to cordon off areas of our house when we need to. The fence segments fold flat upon each other, and with a pickup truck it they do not take up TOO much added packing room. The fences all come in 16' lengths and of various heights. I've attached a link:

Precision Pet - Detail

11' Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
12' Rockwood Roo 233S
Current: AZ
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #22
We have three (3) very small dogs and use two (2) X-Pens. We also have a 12' x 12' collapsible awning that we use to cover the pen for shade and to keep a dry area for when it rains. People often stop by to show their affection and the pen helps to keep them at a distance if we'd really rather not have them bother the dogs. It works well and most campgrounds are appreciative of you keeping your dogs in a contained area. Do be attentive to your pets and make sure that they're watched and cared for just like small children. Then there will be no complaints about noise or whatever. We also like the quality of the pens from JB Pets (

Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #23
Since invisible electronic "zapper" fences need time to let the dogs identify where tha boundaries are, I would not recommend them when travelling, unless you stay several days at each CG and also carry the training flags.

We've used Invisible Fence with our dogs at our last S&B and it worked a treat. We even put a second loop under the house to keep the dogs out of the formal living room and dining room!. Don't need it at this one since we have a securely fenced yard.

A strong fenced enclosure will work while travelling, but it needs to be strong enough that your dogs can't knock it down and tall enugh so they can't jump over it. I still wouldn't leave the dogs unattended for more than 20 minutes, even in a good pen. If you want to go sightseeing, either you take the animals with you or you shouldn't bring them camping with you in the first place.

IMHO, people who are "seeing the country" maybe shouldn't be hauling dogs along. There are so many places you can't take them and leaving them in the toad or the RV for more than about 30 minutes is not a good idea.
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #24
F & E Damp wrote; "IMHO, people who are "seeing the country" maybe shouldn't be hauling dogs along."

Well Frank and Eileen, some of us consider them family and they'll go with us wherever we go...across Country or in our backyard. What may work for you is not what works for everyone.
Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #25
Originally Posted by Adirondack Man View Post
Well Frank and Eileen, some of us consider them family and they'll go with us wherever we go...across Country or in our backyard. What may work for you is not what works for everyone.
X2 brother!

Our dogs are our kids and just as much a part of our family as your kids or grandkids. Part of the reason we bought a TT is because camping is one if the few "dog friendly" vacation options that are available. As for leaving them in the camper--we leave our dogs at home every day when we go to work, they just curl up on their beds and go to sleep. As long as the temp inside is appropriate and they have fresh water, they can be in there for a long time without a problem (as long as you know the time constrains of your doggie bladder!) As for not taking them with you on your travels: anyone who makes a statement like maybe just doesn't consider their dogs as part of their family.
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
Avo Farmer
Dogs in Camp

Try They make seveal types of trainning collars and aera retension systems.

I use the trainning collars for my Coon Hounds.
MikeDett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #27
We have 2 dogs who love to camp with us. We use 4 portable fences hooked together and one smaller one to keep them from going under the trailer. Our trailer has 2 doors. One door is always inside the fenced area to make it easier to let them in and out. Each campsite is different. Sometimes we have more area on the patio rug fenced in so they can be with us in the shade. Other times, we have given them no access to the rug and more grass. We only use them on the longer trips. For short weekend trips, we use long leads and take them on more walks. I have attached a picture of one of our set ups.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3363030478.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	10879
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #28
I am of the school where it's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask permission ;-) Most likely not a problem whatever the official rules.

We have an 80lb Lab that we mostly keep on 20' lease in the day, but at night we like to keep in the TT b/c at some point he's likely to bark. So we just purchased a nylon collapsable crate from Walmart for around $29. Works great, folds flat and weighs practically nothing...
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #29
I guess F and E Damp have not read the blog/site Pet Friendly - Cat & Dog Friendly Pet Travel There are people that live, work and travel all out of a motor home with 2 (what I consider) large dogs. I see absolutely no problem with taking them. I may be a bit bias since I got into camping because of taking my dogs to performance competitions but I see nothing wrong with taking them as long as they know how to behave. Also I would never consider leaving them at home. My dogs are 3 and 4 now and the only time we have left them behind is when we flew to visit my mother in Florida. We are lucky that my in laws love our dogs and they are welcome with open arms every time we visit. That being said one of my dogs has a LOT of energy and is always crated when we are at work.. if for some reason we were going to leave them in the trailer I would crate them. I honestly dont think my dogs would hurt anything if they werent crated its just not a chance I want to take. They are though much less likely to have an accident if they are crated.
sniffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #30
Safety pet fencing for RVs

My husaband and I are new to RV-ing. We have two toy poodles, and are in search for a safety fence that is placed out the front door of our camper and runs under the steps. Our poodles are very spirited and whenever someone opens the front door they try to run out. We have not had any luck finding one, and all the web sites we have visited only show small fences that can be set up like a small dog lot. If anyone has any insite as to where we can purchase one quickly we would greatly appreciate it, as we are due to leave for the beach in one week. Thank you for you help.

A. Rigney

angela rigney is offline   Reply With Quote