Old 04-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #31
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
IMHO, people who are "seeing the country" maybe shouldn't be hauling dogs along. There are so many places you can't take them and leaving them in the toad or the RV for more than about 30 minutes is not a good idea.
I feel that way about some peoples' kids.

Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by angela rigney
My husaband and I are new to RV-ing. We have two toy poodles, and are in search for a safety fence that is placed out the front door of our camper and runs under the steps. Our poodles are very spirited and whenever someone opens the front door they try to run out. We have not had any luck finding one, and all the web sites we have visited only show small fences that can be set up like a small dog lot. If anyone has any insite as to where we can purchase one quickly we would greatly appreciate it, as we are due to leave for the beach in one week. Thank you for you help.

A. Rigney
Angela,
If you're talking about wire fences that you saw on the internet, they can be modified to fit under the steps. My husband used wire cutters and cut off a section of one of the small fences so it fits nicely. We then attach the taller fences using hooks and it makes a nice yard. We use 4 fences total, 1 small, to keep them from going under the trailer, and 3 tall. It makes a nice yard for our dogs. I wish I had a better picture that showed the small fence under the steps. I'll try to remember to take one the next time we set up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3283117690.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	12533

Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #33

We have two Bassets and took them to FL. with us in March. They loved being outside, we tethered them, then the manager of the park told us the only way to have them on tethers was to be there with them and not inside. I later found out FL. has a no tie out law. So next year we will have some sort of fence. We'll probably get panels and make a yard for them.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #34

I live in FL and have NEVER heard of a statewide leash law. Some of the cities may have this law... I know Tampa talked about a similar law, not sure if it passed.

Said another way, we've not any problems when tethering our Lab... IMHO sounds more like the mgr had his own law :-)
FreedomTracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #35

It was in Lakeland and actually the guy did us a favor because it was a hassle tying the out because they were always getting tangled. So now we're going to figure out a yard for them. But thanks for the info.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleasantsurroundings View Post
It was in Lakeland and actually the guy did us a favor because it was a hassle tying the out because they were always getting tangled. So now we're going to figure out a yard for them. But thanks for the info.
Our dogs love their fence! Since our TT has 2 doors, we put one door inside the fenced area and the other one, we leave out so we don't always have to go through the fence gate. We use a smaller fence to go under the steps. (DH used wire cutters to make it fit under the steps)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockahock4.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	14838  
Old 06-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #37

Thanks for your input, looks like a great set up. We only have one door so we will have to use a gate. But I think the fencing is way better than tying them.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #38

Fencing is WAY better than tying them. Having ours tied was a nightmare!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #39
Anacortesians

I'm sorry I ticked off several people. When we had two Labs, we took them with us every time, but our trips were usually short-ish (10 days or less) and we were sightseeing the major outdoor attractions.

My point, which I didn't explain very well, is that if your trips entail a lot of visiting places the dogs can't go (museums, wineries, etc.) maybe the dogs should stay in local day-care kennels while you're doing that.

Our present dog is a rescue and had been through the Humane Socitey twice in four years before we took him on at age 5. We've had him for four years now and wouldn't want to leave him in kennels because of his memory of being in the pound.

About the best we've been able to do is to park the MH a long way from anyone else at the various attractions, leave the generator running and powering the a/c if necessary and hope for the best. We've only done it twice, once at the Evergreen Air Museum in McMinnville, OR and once at Maryhill Winery. No problems either time as we were only gone about 90 minutes.

A 20' tether works for us with just one dog, but when we had two it was a royal PITA.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #40

have you considered a wireless fence? easier to set than a fence.
Wireless Containment System

2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote