Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 10:07 PM   #61

As far as barking: fortunately akitas are not vocal dogs. That's not to say they never do, but similarly, if one decides they need to bark at something, they are immediately brought in an/or stopped.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #62

To give an idea of how well the fences deter our crew, look at pic #3... They are watching a cat walk across the neighboring site. The neighbors asked us how they'd do (dogs) befor the cats were let out to roam.
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #63

I use picket or drop lines as the dog sledders call them. The dogs are kept short and can't get into too much trouble tangling or fighting with each other. Black Ice Dog Sledding Equipment
I carry 2 drop lines with me and set them up at right angles to each other in order to accommodate all 7 dogs. They have learned to pee while out on the drop line. But, I give each one several walks a day. I wouldn't want to do this routine for a long trip though! This has worked well for me at dog shows.
4 Trips 70 nights
SibeTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by biken201
Fortunately none of our crew are jumpers. They are good about respecting the fence, but obviously at 100+/- lbs each they are definitely capable of breaching it with a determined try. We only use it to corral them in lieu of leashes; they are never left unattended in the "yard."
I agree with never leaving them unattended! We have a 3 yr old Border Collie who is extremely well behaved (sometimes it's spooky how well she listens, but that's her breed) The other dog is a Cairn Terrier / Maltese mix. He's only a year old and he is still in training. (Do terriers ever really finish training? Just curious, 'cause he's a piece of work!) Any way, a water pistol works great on him. He might let out one yip, but he immediately turns to see if I reach for it. Which, of course I do, and he stops.

Obviously, the fences aren't for everyone, but if you know your dogs can be controlled in them, it's a great way to have them with you!
sherri330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #65

This is how we set up our pen at each campsite. It's nice because we don't need to worry about her running out of the door and getting loose but we find that she always waits for us to go in and out before she will follow. We are fortunate that she is not a jumper so she has never tried to jump over, or push over the gate to get out. She seems to have one quirk and that is a dislike of golf-carts! If they are going slow she is fine, however if they are moving at a faster speed then she barks as if she is protecting us! We are currently working on this issue...any suggestions?

[/IMG]
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #66

Terriers are little terrors! We have had two terrier mixes and both had a screw or two loose, however, they are/were wonderful. (it might be me with the screw loose!). We have three dogs now, all three rescue dogs. We have just purchased our first RV, and took it for our first overnight this week. We fell in love wiith "camping" and our new Solera! Next adventure will include the furry children. I have purchased the exercise pens talked about on this thread, and actually cut a cardboard box to mold around the step. Put magnet tape around the top of the cardboard to attach to the metal step. We will see if that works. Next week I will set the Solera up in the driveway with the fences and take the dogs out there with me and just hang out. Should be a semi-decent attempt to see how the three react without leaving home! May even spend the night in the driveway once with them. Two will go with the flow and be fine, im sure, but the terrier mix might be a challenge. Thanks for all the postings on this forum. Y'all have helped this newbie greatly!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote