Old 01-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #21

Never thought about dog food. Especially canned. Had wondered about the Purina dry food our vet has our puppy on as to whether it would pass the border crossing. Not many stores carry the food we use. Would have to carry a supply with us. We are looking at the Bama Bob trip to go.

Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 77, 2017 = 81
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
Try calling CBSA (Canadian Border Protection) and get the real story about what you need.
Then talk to your Homeland Security people.
and go to the sites and print off any supportive documentation

Importing or Travelling with Pets - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Food, Plant and Animal Inspections - Schedule of Inspection Fees (may or may not apply)

last thing you want or need is to be looking at the border staff that have a different opinion of the law because wearing a gun and doing your job is not always...

The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:48 AM   #23

We cross the other way - into the USA. I always review the current rules of what can and cannot taken across the border. These change frequently in response to pests that threaten agriculture. This includes dog food ingredients at times. Always leave dog food in the original container that lists ingredients. We carry proof of all vaccinations including rabies. Sometimes the US border guards review them but frequently don't. On our last trip a very stern officer barked "What is this?" When we explained that it was the dog's paperwork he all but tossed it back and said "I don't do animals!!" And we crossed the border. Check and follow the current regulations. Have a wonderful trip and enjoy our Country!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
We cross the other way - into the USA. On our last trip a very stern officer barked "What is this?" When we explained that it was the dog's paperwork he all but tossed it back and said "I don't do animals!!"
Both sides have some very special guards with guns. we had just purchased our new truck and were returning back to Canada with it when we got randomly picked for a vehicle strip search...

Being Law enforcement at the time I knew my rights... which with these guys and gals are not many...
anyway the Canadian Guard commented on the new (very clean white) PU saying "nice truck, how new?" - as he bounced the rear door off the inspection table taking a big chip of paint off the door edge as he bent the lip.

99% do not have an attitude. I pretty much seem to get that 1% all the time.

Enjoy the exchange rate and scenery - it's incredible
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #25

Pets and Border

We take our cat everywhere, and did the ALCAN in the spring of 2014. All we had to have was a letter from a vet saying the animal was healthy, and a record of her current up to date vaccinations. Never had a problem at the border with the animal, just a tomato that we hadn't eaten before we arrived in the US.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:54 PM   #26

We travel into Canada with our dogs for shows. Always have their shots up to date (although we usually aren't asked to show the papers). We bring their food in unopened bags or cans and have never had a problem (keep the food in the commerical bag once its opened for return to the US). we bring as much dog food as they'll need for the trip. Having a folder with the dog(s) health records is handy. Each of our dogs has a folder and we put the current shot record right on top for quick reference. Our dogs are crated when we cross and we've never had a problem going across either border. cincia
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #27

We have been across to US though many different points and only asked to see rabies shots paperwork once. We get asked at more than half of the camp grounds for the rabies paperwork though
Old 01-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripper View Post
This is for traveling into Canada with a pet from USA. Hopefully this link works and provides you with what you need to know. You may also contact the Customs Business information Service line from out side Canada at 1-204-983-3500. May not be a bad idea to contact the border points you are crossing at either. Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
Just imuniztion records for the return to the USA. Oh and leave any guns at home unless you want to see a Canadian prison. And they enforce it!
Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #29

We took our girls to Canada last year. We were told that we needed to bring their Rabies vaccination certificate that has the serial numbers on it.

We were not asked for it in either direction. However, I would make sure to have it just in case.

It really was a non-issue.

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #30
7 Year Class A RV'er

Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted PoliceAgain, realizing this post is originally concerning taking dogs into Canada, I want to point out those who tell you that firearms cannot be taken into Canada are in error. Please visit this site for detailed requirements, forms, etc.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote