Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 PM   #31
Usually Confused Member

A bigger issue than firearms is any record of a DUI. A big no-no up there and there is a major chance of being turned around at the border if you have a record.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted PoliceAgain, realizing this post is originally concerning taking dogs into Canada, I want to point out those who tell you that firearms cannot be taken into Canada are in error. Please visit this site for detailed requirements, forms, etc.
I do not wish to derail this post, but I do not wish that anyone be mislead by this link. Response took a bit as I wanted to research this link first.
I would like to stress regarding this link it is only related to; "This information applies only to firearms that are neither restricted nor prohibited, as set out in Part III of the Criminal Code of Canada." I do not wish for anyone be surprised or miss-interpret this. You will not be permitted entry with any kind of handgun. They are restricted weapons in Canada. If you declare they MAY let you leave it for destruction but most often will send you back to the U.S. They will not let you travel in transit through Canada either with a hand gun. If you do not declare and a weapon is found you will be criminally charged at that moment. I would like to include that this link permits with certain requirements as shown long guns only (rifles/shotguns).

2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:21 PM   #33

We have found that (a) they could care less about our siberian husky and aussie going either way,and (b) haveing never been arrested,never been fingerprinted,not even haveing a s much as a traffic ticket EVER (and I am 71,wife 70), but haveing all proper paperwork,passports will get you hung up for three hours explaining why when going into Canada.They have never even looked at our passports comming back.And they never even ask anything about the new toy hauler or what might be inside it.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:38 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
We have found that (a) they could care less about our siberian husky and aussie going either way,and (b) haveing never been arrested,never been fingerprinted,not even haveing a s much as a traffic ticket EVER (and I am 71,wife 70), but haveing all proper paperwork,passports will get you hung up for three hours explaining why when going into Canada.They have never even looked at our passports comming back.And they never even ask anything about the new toy hauler or what might be inside it.
Yeah, I think they determine the process based on the answers when they talk to you at the drive up window.

They didn't say anything about our dogs (in either direction) and they knew they were there because one of my dogs barked at him.

They did check our passports in both directions. I've crossed about 6 times in a vehicle (never with an rv) and have not been searched. It's usually just why are you going/coming, do you have fruit or weapons, look at my passport and go. One time passing into Canada, they had us get out of the car and go inside so they could scan our passports. It took like 5 minutes and then we were on our way. We were the first people to cross that day and the only ones there so I think they were bored

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
Yeah, I think they determine the process based on the answers when they talk to you at the drive up window.

They didn't say anything about our dogs (in either direction) and they knew they were there because one of my dogs barked at him.

They did check our passports in both directions. I've crossed about 6 times in a vehicle (never with an rv) and have not been searched. It's usually just why are you going/coming, do you have fruit or weapons, look at my passport and go. One time passing into Canada, they had us get out of the car and go inside so they could scan our passports. It took like 5 minutes and then we were on our way. We were the first people to cross that day and the only ones there so I think they were bored
Depending on the answers... One of two ways... You carry on or you are led to the room where they wear rubber gloves..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:11 PM   #36
7 Year Class A RV'er

Thanks, Gripper - I do stand corrected and appreciate you pointing this out so I could do some more research. Finally found the one clause that gets you - the transport permit for a firearm will NOT be issued for personal protection. Seems pretty stupid to do on a road trip that puts you in such relative isolation, but they make the rules. Again, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. Have a great evening.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 04:16 PM   #37
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Thanks, Gripper - I do stand corrected and appreciate you pointing this out so I could do some more research. Finally found the one clause that gets you - the transport permit for a firearm will NOT be issued for personal protection. Seems pretty stupid to do on a road trip that puts you in such relative isolation, but they make the rules. Again, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow. Have a great evening.
Diffrent countries diffrent rules.. Cross the Mexico border with a .22lr round in your glove box and it will land you in a prison down there.. We ae their guests so their rules.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #38

Talk about answering questions
I was asked once by a very pissed off US border guard after we gave him our passports:
"have you ever been in court?"
Me - "yes"
Guard - "when you were in court..."
Me - "about a month ago"
Guard - "what was the charge?"
Me - "theft over $5000"
Guard "what was the verdict?"
Me - "Guilty as charged"

Guard - "then why am I not seeing a criminal record flagging you if you were found guilty?"

Me - (showing him my police badge) "I was the arresting and investigating officer..."

Guard - "pull your vehicle over there and report inside"
Me - "Yes Sir'
Wife- "whats his issue?"

Sometimes they get onto a power trip that only a reality check will straighten out.

When I was taken into the office to explain why I answered the way i did - I responded with "its simple - I was not permitted to offer any reasonable response to slow his line of questioning and that it seemed he was on a mission."

Supervisor thanked me for my police service (military at the time) and walked back out to our truck with me past the guard.

as i was pulling away the guard's bay had an orange cone in the lane and the guard was walking inside with the supervisor.

Oh to be a fly on the wall after that.
The new toy hauler - 2016 Ford F150 Supercrew XTR ECOBOOST.
MilCop4523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:15 AM   #39
Usually Confused Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilCop4523 View Post
Talk about answering questions
I was asked once by a very pissed off US border guard after we gave him our passports:
"have you ever been in court?"
Me - "yes"
Guard - "when you were in court..."
Me - "about a month ago"
Guard - "what was the charge?"
Me - "theft over $5000"
Guard "what was the verdict?"
Me - "Guilty as charged"

Guard - "then why am I not seeing a criminal record flagging you if you were found guilty?"

Me - (showing him my police badge) "I was the arresting and investigating officer..."

Guard - "pull your vehicle over there and report inside"
Me - "Yes Sir'
Wife- "whats his issue?"

Sometimes they get onto a power trip that only a reality check will straighten out.

When I was taken into the office to explain why I answered the way i did - I responded with "its simple - I was not permitted to offer any reasonable response to slow his line of questioning and that it seemed he was on a mission."

Supervisor thanked me for my police service (military at the time) and walked back out to our truck with me past the guard.

as i was pulling away the guard's bay had an orange cone in the lane and the guard was walking inside with the supervisor.

Oh to be a fly on the wall after that.
That is a great comeback. I'll have to remember that one.

I've cleared customs hundreds of times all over the world. Without a doubt the US Customs process and attitude is the absolute worst. If I didn't live here in the USA I would be very hesitant about traveling to this country and having to deal with the gross incompetence of our border crossing system.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:54 PM   #40

I live close to the us border. I make several trips a year across.
I must say, the guards really are not very nice. Rude, arrogant, impatient.

Canadian side is much nicer..

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS