Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #1

Pets (dog) and International Border

We will be taking our dog with us on our trip to Alaska this summer and will have four border crossings to do.
What documentation is needed for shots and such and which one US or Canada requires the most documentation?

My wife and I have heard every story there is so I want to hear from someone who has actually done it.
Blackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #2

Go to any vet and you should be able to get the appropriate paperwork. A few customs locations have the ability to "read" the implanted chip (if any) to verify the dog matches the paperwork. It's really a minor issue overall.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:53 AM   #3

Try calling CBSA (Canadian Border Protection) and get the real story about what you need.
Then talk to your Homeland Security people.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10
Zooming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #4

This is for traveling into Canada with a pet from USA. Hopefully this link works and provides you with what you need to know. You may also contact the Customs Business information Service line from out side Canada at 1-204-983-3500. May not be a bad idea to contact the border points you are crossing at either. Importing or Travelling with Domestic Dogs - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
2011 Flagstaff classic 31.5'BHDS
Gripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Bring your dogs!

Vet records are needed.
Only bring enough dog food to get across the border. Might get taken away.

But, leave your guns at home! Lol
I've been watching too many border patrol episodes.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 01-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #6

We took a trip around Lake Superior in September and asked Canadian authorities and Dept of Homeland Security what was needed. To go to Canada, we needed proof of rabies vaccination, for the return to the U.S. they wanted a form filled out by the vet.
As it turned out, at both border crossings, we were not asked to provide anything at all.
YMMV
Eric
Goldtop77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

We had all the paperwork but in 4 crossings we were never asked to show it. It is no big deal, a least with one small dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
Bring your dogs!

Vet records are needed.
Only bring enough dog food to get across the border. Might get taken away.

But, leave your guns at home! Lol
I've been watching too many border patrol episodes.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
I guess with the exchange rate.. The black market on puppy chow is the new crack?

We were planning a trip to Can-Adia as well this spring.. But we have a trained attach cat (or so SHE thinks) so I wonder if that makes a difference.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:03 PM   #9

20 crossings no problems
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooming View Post
Try calling CBSA (Canadian Border Protection) and get the real story about what you need.
Then talk to your Homeland Security people.

Sun seeker 2009 2600 Ford V10
was about to say the same......Most crossings have a 1-800 tel
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #11

All you need is proof of rabies shots, Incroos a lot and have only been asked once. I have never been asked about food. Seriously, there is no need to be calling CBS or HOmeland Security. Makes a mountain out of a molehill.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:21 PM   #12
DDC

Just make sure you have rabies cert and that it is signed and dated, if you have proof of ownership like pedigree paper take them to, lost the dog food once going into US you just never know what they are going to ask for so be prepared and have a great trip.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 PM   #13

We had our dog's shot records and we got a statement from the vet certifing our dog was in good health and had no issues. We crossed several times and were never asked for any paperwork at all.

We were told not to take any meat or fresh vegatables over the border with us so we stopped at Shelby, MT and disposed of potatoes, lettuce etc. They never inquired at any crossing about food except coming back into the states. US Border officials asked about what food we had and where we got it. I told them it was all bought in Alaska and we had some fish we had caught in Alaska in the freezer. Well, they pulled us off to take a look. My wife was very ill with flu symptoms. When the inspector stepped on board to ask us to leave she took one look at my wife and decided she didn't have to inspect anything. She sent us on our way. I think lots of this stuff is just to make work for someone who isn't busy at the minute.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #14

Carried rabies certificates and full current immunization records for our two dogs while crossing to Canada and back twice over a one month plus period. Canada was only interested in our passports. The US was concerned mostly with food items and removed some frozen chicken from the US plus vegetables and eggs we had purchased in Canada. Uncooked meat in canned dog food might get attention but was never mentioned to us. My wife's Republic of China passport along with permanent resident card drew the most attention on two of the three times we reentered the US. Our motor home was searched during both times we entered the US with it while the dogs were allow to remain inside. The final time, a most polite agent only showed concern that they would not accidently get outside as he came and went.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
7 Year Class A RV'er

You can take firearms for personal security but you need to understand the rules and submit the paperwork ahead of time. You can find all that info by googling. I would think the same is true for the dog. From what I've read from the Canadian government sites (not done it myself), all their rules appear tone very reasonable, you just have to remember you're a guest in their country and respect their wishes.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to pontiacdan45
Last July we crossed at Port Huron and came back the same way. I had the form completed that I downloaded from the Canadian Customes site. It was compleated and signed by my vet. I carried all the dog food I needed for the trip. I handed the form and our passports to the officer and after looking at it he waived us through. Same thing on our crossing back into Michigan. Also there are guidelines on what you can and can't bring into Canada and back to the USA. Go to the site. Non-Canadians

2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite 8289 ws
2015 GMC Crew Cab 2500HD Gas:
pontiacdan45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #17

Your veterinarian can issue an international health certificate that contains all the info needed to go across country boundaries (includes all vaccines & parasite control or you can travel with up to date rabies vaccination info (includes lot number of vaccine used). Let your vet know where you are heading so proper parasite protection can be used & proper vaccines given (it is not just about the laws ...it is about your pets' health & safety).

Looks like no more than 2 dogs per owner....
Here is the actual link & contacts : https://www.aphis.usda.gov/wps/porta...s/animalhealth

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #18

We go to Banfield and they printed all my dogs records. We showed them at the border with no problem. If you travel much Banfield is good to belong to, they have his records all over the country. They find my dogs records faster than the VA does.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #19

We take a copy of our dog's vet records including kennel cough shots even on trips within the US. We do this in case we have to put her in a kennel in an emergency. Vets and kennels around here won't board a dog without current shots.

We took the dog into Canada last year with no problems. We had the vet's health statement as others already mentioned.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #20

We did the Alaska trip with or German Shepherd. All you need is proof of vaccinations - Rabies is required, but bring also for Distemper and Bordetella. Same for cats. You can also bring the Animal Health Form prepared by your vet right before your leave, but we were never asked for papers, only once asked if dog was current. One day we crossed the border 4 times---never a problem. Make sure you have ID on your dog, a microchip also. We have our dog wear an ID tag with her name, our name and numbers and it says "I am traveling". That way if found people would look in the area and not try to return her home.
frogsandhogs is offline   Reply With Quote