Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Pets first before plans

Another trip placed on the back burner. With two geriatric dogs, one Yorkie and one Boxer they sure keep us running to the vet. Spent most of three months this past summer caring for the boxer that had two cancerous tumors removed from her eyes, one in each. Then an ulcer in her left eye, the ulcer took more treatment then the tumors. Arthritis in her spine and a bit of hip displacement. She gets along pretty good with the spine and rear hips, can't climb steps but we have a ramp for her to use to get in and out of the truck and RV. Was planing on leaving for Branson tomorrow but last night she started bleeding from her right ear. Didn't notice it till she shook her head and blood spattered everywhere. Was up all night keeping her ear packed and changing dressings. This morning she seems ok, no fresh blood. The yorkie is on three medications, two for his heart as he has congestive heart failure and one to make him pee to try to pull fluid away from his heart. He coughs allot because of this condition. A trip to Salt Lake City for granddaughters graduation and extending to Washington state Canceled, a trip to S. Dakota, canceled,a trip to Memphis and Branson also canceled. We did manage a few short trips but no more than a couple hundred miles.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

I feel your pain...back in 2010, we had a 14 y/o lab mix, a 12 y/o boxer, and a 16 y/o cat. We kept referring to our house as the "geriatric animal hospital." We lost the lab in 12/10, the kitty in 2/12, and the boxer in 5/12. We picked up a 7 month old pit mix in 1/11 (right after the lab left us) and now we have an energetic, healthy 4 y/o, 3-legged pittie that keeps us laughing. Hang in there.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranwanderer View Post
I feel your pain...back in 2010, we had a 14 y/o lab mix, a 12 y/o boxer, and a 16 y/o cat. We kept referring to our house as the "geriatric animal hospital." We lost the lab in 12/10, the kitty in 2/12, and the boxer in 5/12. We picked up a 7 month old pit mix in 1/11 (right after the lab left us) and now we have an energetic, healthy 4 y/o, 3-legged pittie that keeps us laughing. Hang in there.
DW and I both retired, we refer to our household as the geriatric house. Yorkie is 11, Boxer 11 or 12. Lost our 19 yr old cat two years ago. Lost several pets in our lifetime, it's never easy as they are all family.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Pets are family. Your post reminded me of my cancellations while being my dad's main care provider. You are kind and loving to put your pets needs first and I know you are rewarded back with lots of love from them.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #5

Pets are family, couldn't have said it better myself. A couple years back, when we knew our last dog's time was coming, we planned an entire summer vacation based on his love of romping on the Oregon Coast. We figured it would be his last chance to do so, and we take solace in knowing we provided him with that one last great summer adventure.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
NELA

God Bless You phonedude. DH and I had to "do the right thing" (Lord knows I hate that phrase) for our 16 year old Cocker two weeks ago today; renal failure. By FAR the hardest thing we've ever had to do and we pray we'll never have to do that again, EVER, with ANY pet we own. With each day that passes, I wonder if we'll ever "get over it".

We still have Fred, our 10 year old Doxy/Pomeranian mix and as silly as it sounds, we've been known to detour to a neighboring state while traveling just so Fred can "pee on it" LOL

That's Fred's greatest joy while we're traveling...he's gotta mark EVERY thing *his*! We're planning to have one of those wooden US maps made up, and for every state he's marked as his, we'll stamp a paw print and paint it in. He's up to TEN STATES!

We call our pets our FIDS: Kids with fur, Kids with feathers YES, they are family

We have a lavender crested amazon parrot that we're going to start taking with us on some trips. We have an acrylic "travel" cage called a "Wingabago" that we'll use. Cletus is about 20 years old now, but that breed lives to be 60-70 years old. We inherited him from DH's Mom, and he'll probably outlive us, so DH's son will inherit him then.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #7

We hear you. Bless you.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote