Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2015, 07:30 PM   #1

Pets in camper

How are people handling this?

As a teen, we lost a cat when the air froze up and the cat passed away because of the heat.

As a result, I am terrified to leave my girls alone in the RV.

My girls are used to traveling. They have stayed in hotels, cabins, and tents....but never an RV.
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

We take both our animals. One cat and one dog. Our trailer never gets too hot. However if we think that it might, we have the fans running just to keep it comfortable. As much as it must be a very scary feeling to lose a member of your family, I couldn't imagine not taking them with us. Trailers don't get hot like cars do. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-25-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

We always take our cat. We leave windows open and maybe a fan on. Haven't been in a situation yet where it got way too hot.
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:31 PM   #4

Our roof vent fans are on thermostat, if the AC would die the fans take over to prevent a meltdown. Having said that, we decide on a day to day basis what to do with our little rascal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20140811_083926.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	78058  
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
(Dry Huunday)

We take our kids with us wherever we go. Sometimes it causes us to go into places separately but we don't want to leave them and they enjoy "going". They don't care where just as long as they go! Actually a lot of places will allow you to bring your behaved fuzz kids in with you, especially in tourist towns!

But that's just our choice! If we brought the cat I'm sure she would prefer to be left in the camper in the A/C! She is lazy like that!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #6

I always thought most campgrounds have rules against leaving your pets unattended. Am I wrong? Ours go with us whereever we go. We find a cool spot to park, or take them with us into town. They always get lots of attention that way.
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
I always thought most campgrounds have rules against leaving your pets unattended. Am I wrong? Ours go with us whereever we go. We find a cool spot to park, or take them with us into town. They always get lots of attention that way.
Some do. Most that we've stayed at have been okay to leave unattended as long as they are inside and not a nuisance.

We take them with us whenever we can but it's not always a possibilty.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Often Campgrounds rule is pets not left unattended outside, to cause a nuisance barking etc. Most campgrounds allow you to leave them inside unattended. We have not ran into a campground as yet that will not allow pets to be left unattended inside. I know there are bound to be a few.

We do leave ours in the camper with the air on at times, but make sure its not for long periods. Is there a risk yea but its better than leaving them for a week or more in a small kennel back home. They enjoy being with us.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Often Campgrounds rule is pets not left unattended outside, to cause a nuisance barking etc. Most campgrounds allow you to leave them inside unattended. We have not ran into a campground as yet that will not allow pets to be left unattended inside. I know there are bound to be a few.

We do leave ours in the camper with the air on at times, but make sure its not for long periods. Is there a risk yea but its better than leaving them for a week or more in a small kennel back home. They enjoy being with us.

x's 2 on that, I also have a red triangle sign I hang on my door if something happens that says pet inside. Had it made in Goshen last year.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Pets inside Sign? Yep, got to get me one of those...
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Pets inside Sign? Yep, got to get me one of those...
We have one on the window in our home. Will have to pick up another for the RV.
Old 06-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #12

My pups are like an American Express card - we dont go camping without them! Main reason we got the 19rr so the two labs can come and my black stallion.
We did the OBX with them and since then we only go on vac with them along for the ride.
Enjoy the pics and we also plan on leaving them in the camper while take short rides.

Name:	IMG_3137.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	451.2 KB
ID:	79051

Name:	G0020191.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	79052

Name:	20131117_165826.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	79053

Name:	2012-11-21 19.03.35.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	79054
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150429_191629.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	79055  

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #13

Yup, our pup comes camping everywhere with us. We always consider the heat when choosing camping spots, and that is one of the main reasons whey we like to spend our two week summer vacation on the Oregon coast. It gets pretty hot where I live (it was 100*F yesterday here in the Okanagan.....in June for crying out loud) so we have no real need to venture towards the hot spots anyways. We don't have A/C but have left our pooch in our friends RV, along with their pooch, in air conditioned comfort while we went out wine tasting. Aside from that, we always make sure to camp near water, so hoomans and dogs alike can take a dip to chill off.

I also always travel with two sets of vehicle keys in the summer. If for some reason we have to leave Molly in the vehicle I leave it running with the A/C on, and lock her in.
trikebubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewoo View Post
My pups are like an American Express card - we dont go camping without them! Main reason we got the 19rr so the two labs can come and my black stallion.
We did the OBX with them and since then we only go on vac with them along for the ride.
Enjoy the pics and we also plan on leaving them in the camper while take short rides.
Attachment 79051

Attachment 79052

Attachment 79053

Attachment 79054
Looks like one of the "kids" may have parked the bike wrong.........
Old 06-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikebubble View Post
I also always travel with two sets of vehicle keys in the summer. If for some reason we have to leave Molly in the vehicle I leave it running with the A/C on, and lock her in.
Be careful about that ...in the state of Florida it won't matter what time of year even if the car is running .... you may return to broken window, dog at nearest vet hospital, an emergency veterinary bill & a large fine ($600 and up) ....

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:32 PM   #16

We take ours, usually we have a shady spot and we leave some windows open and a couple of fans on. When we have to leave them they stay in a large kennel crate because our one little foundling, when left alone, gets destructive. She was a drop off and we nearly hit her with my truck when she was running on a highway. We also have to watch her because she still after a year hasn't totally got the "come " part down but has been getting better. For the most they go and as others have said one of us goes in and the other stays outside. Bailee (on the left) we had, Gracie (on the right) is our rescue.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC03755.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	79530  
Old 06-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #17

The only problem with leaving the pets in the trailer with the AC on is if there is a power failure the trailer becomes an oven. It would be better to leave them at a kennel near the CG for a few hours or ask a camping neighbour to keep an eye on the "kids". With so many people traveling and camping (with pets) I do not understand why larger shopping centers do not offer pet sitting while you shop at the stores. I would be happy to pay a fee for this service if it was offered.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
With so many people traveling and camping (with pets) I do not understand why larger shopping centers do not offer pet sitting while you shop at the stores. I would be happy to pay a fee for this service if it was offered.
x2

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:18 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

While we have a few cats, which we didn't want but they would've gone to the pound...we only bring our two chihuahuas (the girls) camping. (Our daughter lives about a mile away and comes and checks on the cats if we're gone longer than a few days.)

We rarely leave the girls alone in the trailer because it's so easy to bring them with us. If we need to shop, one of us will stay in the truck while the other runs into the store. If we want to eat out, we'll just get something to go and bring it back to the trailer. (But that's rare...we'd much rather bbq steaks than buy take-out food.)

I do see more and more people at Walmart with their small dogs in a towel in the shopping carts and they don't seem to be asked to leave. (I know it's supposed to be illegal.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #20

Pets may not be illegal in a store. No pets in grocery or food stores, but okay in other places. Lowes allows pets. Home Depot normally does not care. CW welcomes pets, as do many RV stores. And of course Pet Smart, Petco, etc encourage you to bring your pet.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper