Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

Ramp For Dog Into Motorhome

We have a new to us 2008 Lexington, just bought. Our dog a Yellow Labrador, almost 4yrs old, came down with an acute attack of what turns out to be "Wobblers Syndrome (disease)" (look it up on the internet, those with Great Danes may have heard of it) the Vet here at the Ontario Vet College says it is the first time they have every seen it in a Yellow Lab. An MRI confirmed the problem.

Pinching of the spinal cord causes his legs to not work properly. He can not jump and as a result can not get into the motorhome via the stairs. He can walk to a degree.

I was thinking that a ramp into the motorhome door for him to walk up and down at least with our help might be the answer. He weighs 80lbs so lifting/carrying him is problematic.

Anyone built a ramp? Looking for some ideas on how to do it please.

Thanks
chideock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
NELA

I'll be watching this thread. We're going to have to come up with something similar, not for our dog's issues, but MINE. With a neck/spine injury I can't assist him up the steps any more. He can do it, he's just nervous about it so sometimes someone has to help him.

For now it'll be my DH doing the assisting, but he's not always at the campsite when Fred wants to go inside.

We're thinking about a simple board with carpet on it.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:01 PM   #3

I can't help you with the ramp, but I'm familiar with a handicapped dog--I had a GSD that had degenerate myelopathy (basically Lou Gehrig's disease). I'm sure a ramp would help with him going up and down steps but, in addition, at 80 lbs. he may need help walking (sometimes or all the time). There are slings you can use to help him balance. Please check out this site. I sent you a link for different kinds of slings, but you may want to check the site for other items that may make it easier for you and your dog. Good luck---and I'm so sorry your dog came down with this disease. HandicappedPets.com - Dog Harnesses & Slings. Help Dogs Walk with Dog Lift Harness & Slings
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:30 PM   #4

Weezer
I was thinking of a simple board as well but wondered if there are any other interesting solutions. Designing is not my thing but fixing is!

brewjaz
Thanks for the site. He walks on his own, with a wobble (hence the name?), can't jump or go/down stairs as dogs usually do at the moment. Vet and us are hoping that inflammation around the specific spot on the spine will subsidy and his acute symptoms will lessen or stop. I will liken it too a severe bruise that eventually heals. He will still have the syndrome which affects the spine bone but the pressure on the spinal cord due to inflammation may stop in the near term.
Old 08-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #5

You're welcome--I guess I should have checked up on the disease before I sent you the link. I thought it was a permanent wobble---glad to hear it can be managed!
brewjaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
NELA

tjerrard,

Is surgery an option? At one point our Fred was paralyzed in his back legs. We carried him to LSU's veterinarian school where they do lots of spine surgeries on dogs. He's half doxy so we figured it was the usual spinal problems that breed has.

Went there prepared to do the surgery and found out (keep in mind we rescued him) that he had "end stage heart worms" and had lost almost all circulation to his hind quarters. They sent us home, giving him two days to live. That was 4.5 years ago. Our vet here cured the heart worms using a very low profile treatment and first building up his organs with supplements. Here it is 4.5 years later and he's chasing squirrels like nobody's business.

Is there perhaps a university near you that could do surgery, if that's an option?

Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #7
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjerrard View Post
Weezer
I was thinking of a simple board as well but wondered if there are any other interesting solutions. Designing is not my thing but fixing is!

brewjaz
Thanks for the site. He walks on his own, with a wobble (hence the name?), can't jump or go/down stairs as dogs usually do at the moment. Vet and us are hoping that inflammation around the specific spot on the spine will subsidy and his acute symptoms will lessen or stop. I will liken it too a severe bruise that eventually heals. He will still have the syndrome which affects the spine bone but the pressure on the spinal cord due to inflammation may stop in the near term.
Got a PetSmart near you?

Dog Ramps, Steps, Stairs, & Ramps | PetSmart

Old 08-13-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

This might be what you need...folds so it is easy to stow.
Good luck with your pup!

PetSTEP® Folding Pet Ramp for dogs, cats and pets | WeatherTech.com
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #9
NELA

I wish I could find something a little more narrow. I'd like to just leave it in place, and it'd be narrow enough for *us* to go up the steps beside it.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #10
NELA

This one is a little more narrow:

16" wide

Pet Gear Travel Lite Pet Ramp | Ramps & Stairs | PetSmart

Old 08-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

I am not sure how well one would travel.

Pet Friendly Home Page
Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewjaz View Post
You're welcome--I guess I should have checked up on the disease before I sent you the link. I thought it was a permanent wobble---glad to hear it can be managed!
Brody, our pup, is just started 4 weeks of bed rest! It is hoped that the inflammation will subside and he will regain his normal walk. However there may be damage, we will have to wait and see. This assumes the inflammation is from trauma and not other causes such as cancer.

As long as 'other causes' are not a factor yes the disability can be managed.

Your link is good because we do have a sling now and are considering a rear sling if need be.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I am not sure how well one would travel.

Pet Friendly Home Page
Great design idea wonder what the weight is! The ramps look steep but some adjustment may be able to be done.

Thank you gives me something to think about I had not considered.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #14

My buddy uses this motorcycle ramp...12 inches wide if you can handle the length.
Ramp Champ (TM) Telescopic Truck Loading Ramp (Qty 1) Highland Trailer Cargo Control 11201
Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
tjerrard,
Is there perhaps a university near you that could do surgery, if that's an option?
Weezer
Thanks for the great links. We will look in the stores.

Surgery has been discussed but is premature until we see how he progresses in the next couple of weeks. He is bed rest, no activities. His issue is in the spine just ahead of the shoulders the very hardest part to operate on.

The chances of any recovery from a surgical procedure with his form of this syndrome is not good. The unit we have looking at him is the best small animal college in the country (Canada) - Ontario Veterinary College. The Vet there was not keen on surgery. The Vet quoted odds of 70good 30bad adding maybe in the phrase other odds we have seen are 50/50.

If Brody's bed rest reduces the inflammation he may recover to some degree and it would be manageable after that and with the help of a ramp or some such device could help reduce overload stress on the spine?

For sure his days of jumping, tugging, retrieving, swimming and dock diving are over!

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions we appreciate any help we can get.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
My buddy uses this motorcycle ramp...12 inches wide if you can handle the length.
Ramp Champ (TM) Telescopic Truck Loading Ramp (Qty 1) Highland Trailer Cargo Control 11201
Thank you for the help. These look real interesting! Wonder how much they weigh? (Found the weight, shipping 34lbs). Might be too narrow at 8.5ins inner.

It would take a little training to get him to use it especially as he would most probably be a little unsteady. We would have to reinforce his confidence that he could walk up/down it!

I still have about 500lbs left on the front axle before max weight and I have a receiver on the front.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #17

I've moved it around and I am thinking about 25 lbs total weight. The nice thing is that it extends so far so you can make a very gradual incline. And the price is right.
Can't help on whether 8.5 inches is wide enough given his condition...
Anyway...it is pretty unique and I thought you might like the option if it seems like it would work for you & the pup. All best of luck with the rest period... a shame he has to go through this.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #18

Quote:
I've moved it around and I am thinking about 25 lbs total weight. The nice thing is that it extends so far so you can make a very gradual incline. And the price is right.
Can't help on whether 8.5 inches is wide enough given his condition...
Anyway...it is pretty unique and I thought you might like the option if it seems like it would work for you & the pup. All best of luck with the rest period... a shame he has to go through this.
Thank you. We like the idea of gentle incline. We are not sure of the width either.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #19

Quote:
This might be what you need...folds so it is easy to stow.
Good luck with your pup!

PetSTEP® Folding Pet Ramp for dogs, cats and pets | WeatherTech.com
We decided to buy a ramp similar to the above from PetSmart. It measures 17inches by 72inches when fully extended. Fits well on the Lexington door and is about 14lbs. When collapsed it is about 36inches by 17ins.

Brody walks up it with difficulty with guidance and down it much better. It appears for the time being it will work.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
Just remember not to make it too steep for your pup to get intot he rv. If he has rear end issues.... steep may not be good for him. Also remember to stimulate his mind playing nose games to keep him sharp. Nose work is wonderful for dogs that have limitations.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome