Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #21

You have my deepest sympathy in the loss of your dog. You see, despite your statement to the contrary, if you will shed a tear for your pet, then you ARE an animal person

2013 Keystone Raptor TH
2013 Ford F350 Dually TV
Rokslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:32 PM   #22
DW's 401(k) Plan

We are on our 7th, 8th and 9th rescues in about 15 years. Most that we rescue are middle aged, so we only have them for 6 or so years. Sasha, a rescue we had the longest, passed away in our rv last October. I had told DW prior to Sasha getting sick I couldn't handle anymore furkids once Sasha was gone - it hurt too much. Well, it took one day after Sasha died that both of us were looking on the internet. It took us 4 months, but we're back to full strength - 3 Shelties. They have all taken to camping like it is second nature to them. And the really funny thing? These three have some of the traits of 3 we had 10 years ago.
It's going to be a grand reunion some day...... I'll have many old friends waiting to play across the Rainbow Bridge.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougk53 View Post
Let me preface this by first saying that I am far from an animal person. My DW on the other hand requires the comfort of a dog's company to fill the void when I am working ridiculous hours. That being said I have learned that they did not ask to be brought into this world and are here mainly due to irresponsible humans. They give much in return for a little security and love.
Cassie was an American Eskimo that we rescued at 1 year old when we first built our house in Pa. 20 years ago. She was one of the smartest and most loving dogs ever. She was also very self assured and not needy.
This American Eskimo acted more like a Retriever when it came to the water. She would sit on shore and quiver with anticipation waiting to go into the water. We have photos of DW floating on a raft with her sitting on DW stomach. She used to go out on our boat and I would dive in the water and she would wait to be released to jump in after me.
When at campgrounds she would lay at my feet and other people with dogs would stop and talk to us they would inquire if she didn't like other dogs and my response would be that she won't move until I gave the command. If they were OK with a meet and greet I would walk her over.
When she passed we had her cremated and kept some of the ashes. The rest we took to the lake where she spent a lot of time in the water. All my children and grandchildren and some friends were there as I placed her ashes in the water she so loved to be in.
I turned around to see everyone crying and I then lost it. Good thing it was early November and no one was there as they would have thought we were crazy.
We now have 2 rescues, a Cocker about 11 years old and a 2 1/2 year old who knows what adopted from a kill shelter when 12 weeks old.
I sure hope she is at the rainbow bridge swimming and running with the other dogs and I get to be reunited with her.
Sounds pretty silly coming from someone who is not an animal person. She has been gone 8 years and I hope she is happy.

Doug
You may not have been an animal person at one time.....but I'd say you definitely are now
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
They need a "like" button on this forum like they do on facebook. I'm 68 year old man and if they say an old man don't cry anymore, their wrong. Great tribute!
Real men cry
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:32 AM   #25
Trailer Park Supervisor

My dog was a foul pee machine that would try to bite me if I tried to catch him following the numerous times he would bolt from the house given the chance. But that was my childhood. Now, I see people with good dogs and try not to let that bias my opinion of dog ownership, but still remember the constant responsibility of caring for an animal. And even though my childhood dog was a PITA, I was still quite sad when he died. Think I don't want to experience that again. And yet people keep signing up for that heartache every 12-15 years. Can't figure that out.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #26

Reading The Rainbow Bridge, thinking of Cass E. Dawg

Sorry you’ve not had the kind of dog who’d protect and be devoted to you as my first pup was. He lived 17 1/2 years. I have owned/ lived with a dog or dogs nearly all my life. We currently have three. They sure are work but bring us joy and the looks they can give melt my heart. Our girls are growing up. The dogs will always be puppies. Here they are trying to help carve/eat the pumpkin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3930.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	190784  
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote