Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #1

Reading The Rainbow Bridge, thinking of Cass E. Dawg

Let me preface this by first saying that I am far from an animal person. My DW on the other hand requires the comfort of a dog's company to fill the void when I am working ridiculous hours. That being said I have learned that they did not ask to be brought into this world and are here mainly due to irresponsible humans. They give much in return for a little security and love.
Cassie was an American Eskimo that we rescued at 1 year old when we first built our house in Pa. 20 years ago. She was one of the smartest and most loving dogs ever. She was also very self assured and not needy.
This American Eskimo acted more like a Retriever when it came to the water. She would sit on shore and quiver with anticipation waiting to go into the water. We have photos of DW floating on a raft with her sitting on DW stomach. She used to go out on our boat and I would dive in the water and she would wait to be released to jump in after me.
When at campgrounds she would lay at my feet and other people with dogs would stop and talk to us they would inquire if she didn't like other dogs and my response would be that she won't move until I gave the command. If they were OK with a meet and greet I would walk her over.
When she passed we had her cremated and kept some of the ashes. The rest we took to the lake where she spent a lot of time in the water. All my children and grandchildren and some friends were there as I placed her ashes in the water she so loved to be in.
I turned around to see everyone crying and I then lost it. Good thing it was early November and no one was there as they would have thought we were crazy.
We now have 2 rescues, a Cocker about 11 years old and a 2 1/2 year old who knows what adopted from a kill shelter when 12 weeks old.
I sure hope she is at the rainbow bridge swimming and running with the other dogs and I get to be reunited with her.
Sounds pretty silly coming from someone who is not an animal person. She has been gone 8 years and I hope she is happy.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori&Jocelyn
dougk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougk53 View Post
Let me preface this by first saying that I am far from an animal person. My DW on the other hand requires the comfort of a dog's company to fill the void when I am working ridiculous hours. That being said I have learned that they did not ask to be brought into this world and are here mainly due to irresponsible humans. They give much in return for a little security and love.
Cassie was an American Eskimo that we rescued at 1 year old when we first built our house in Pa. 20 years ago. She was one of the smartest and most loving dogs ever. She was also very self assured and not needy.
This American Eskimo acted more like a Retriever when it came to the water. She would sit on shore and quiver with anticipation waiting to go into the water. We have photos of DW floating on a raft with her sitting on DW stomach. She used to go out on our boat and I would dive in the water and she would wait to be released to jump in after me.
When at campgrounds she would lay at my feet and other people with dogs would stop and talk to us they would inquire if she didn't like other dogs and my response would be that she won't move until I gave the command. If they were OK with a meet and greet I would walk her over.
When she passed we had her cremated and kept some of the ashes. The rest we took to the lake where she spent a lot of time in the water. All my children and grandchildren and some friends were there as I placed her ashes in the water she so loved to be in.
I turned around to see everyone crying and I then lost it. Good thing it was early November and no one was there as they would have thought we were crazy.
We now have 2 rescues, a Cocker about 11 years old and a 2 1/2 year old who knows what adopted from a kill shelter when 12 weeks old.
I sure hope she is at the rainbow bridge swimming and running with the other dogs and I get to be reunited with her.
Sounds pretty silly coming from someone who is not an animal person. She has been gone 8 years and I hope she is happy.

Doug
I am sure she is waiting, as are ours who have passed these many years. Our companions, friends and family members of the four legged variety enrich our lives and deserve our love and thanks.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

It sounds like she had a wonderful life with you! Eskies are the best! I am involved in eskie rescue and have foster-failed 9 times since my heart was first stolen ❤️
Fluffywhitedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 AM   #4

That's a beautiful and fitting tribute to a loving and faithful companion. Thank you for sharing.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #5

Great post. We lost our 8 year old to stomach cancer last month. The grief was almost unbearable and we found the best way to honor our Lacey's memory was to rescue another dog two weeks later. While we still miss Lacey, our tears are more infrequent as the new dog and her mischievous ways are keeping us quite busy!

I can't wait to take Trinity camping out the first time next week.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:11 PM   #6

They need a "like" button on this forum like they do on facebook. I'm 68 year old man and if they say an old man don't cry anymore, their wrong. Great tribute!
sam2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 12:27 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Wonderful post.
We had to put down our last dog 6 years ago and while I've been ready, the DW hasn't.
Thanks for the tribute to your dog and helping me bring up great memories today of our own Mandi Lynn.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #8

Dang it now my eyes are watering.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam2424 View Post
They need a "like" button on this forum like they do on facebook. I'm 68 year old man and if they say an old man don't cry anymore, their wrong. Great tribute!
Count me in. I'm a sappy old man when it comes to pets.
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #10

I know your grief. Buster was part corgi and his father a drunken sailor dog. We rescued him as a pup and had him 17 years 7 months until he passed last Sept. We were looking for another pup and found an abused 2 year old about to be put down. He is great most of the time but still learning social skills ~ the abuse is still remembered and it will take some time but could not let him be put down. We have a canvas painting of Buster that goes from the house to the 5er every trip as he really loved camping.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:16 PM   #11
cdog7201

Send a message via AIM to cdog7201
Great story now you did it to me again . I had to put my boxer down back in 2002 and never got over her she was my buddy . She had cancer also. I am now 73 and can't see to type now. after retiring and after I stopped working part time we went to look at a boxer puppy know what! we now own another boxer. She is not my Roxie but she is sure keeping me company at 69 I didn't remember how hard it was to get a dog trained . But she has reminded me she will be four years old in a month and has filled that void pretty well . I will never forget Roxie after 13 years with her I can't forget her. she is in dog heaven keeping some thing or some one company .For those that don't know peoples animals are family too 'and people do mourn their dead so don't think I am silly I once saw a big ol brute of a man cry over his dead animal. Rescue them if you can they did not ask to be brought into this world.
cdog7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:52 PM   #12

Nothing wrong with a grown man crying. I have lost 2 most beloved Dobermans and 2 beloved cats. I cremated them all. When my Fergus had to be put down, my husband and I was with him to the end. My husband stood there crying. I am sure the vet and techs were surprised that a bearded biker could have such a heart. When my Dobermans Tank and Tripper left me suddenly I was inconsolable. I miss them to this day and will never forget them. They are on the other side of the bridge waiting for me. For you to write about your Cass after all these years is a testament of your love for her. When I lost my Tank a wise friend to me the best place to bury a dog is in your heart.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:47 PM   #13

Thank you for your kind words. Recent events brought all this back to mind again.
A few weeks ago after working 20 straight 12 hour days we got a chance to go away for a few days. After walking our Cocker he was waiting to be let in the trailer and jumped the gun before the screen door was opened and fell backwards off them. In the process he ripped a nail completely off in the slots in the stairs. Blood all over the trailer. Makeshift bandage from washclothes and electrical tape and beach towels on DW lap and an emergency visit to the vet for 3 staples in the foot.
Brought to mind when Cassie got sick before dieing on a trip. She was very lethargic and upon waking in the AM she was in the back of the TH and bleeding vaginally. Took her to our Vet and they said she needed surgery on her female parts but couldn't guarantee anything. They gave me an estimate of $2500 and my DW face nearly hit the floor when I told them to proceed. Told my DW I wouldn't be able to look myself in the face let alone everyone else if we didn't try.
Unfortunately she passed 3 days later but I got to see her a few hours before passing as the Vey let me in after hours.
We're also leaving in the AM to spend a week at one of her favorite campgrounds. Take a guess, it has a lake where we used to swim her.
Sorry if I was a little long winded but life has a way of overwhelming you sometimes but every now and then something occurs that brings buried memories to the surface.
Thanks for your patience and kind words.

Doug
2005 Road King
5 Grandkids
Brianna,Frankie,Tyler,Tori&Jocelyn
dougk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #14

Never be sorry for sharing. It is healthy to be able to talk about what has passed. To me it every loss would be like losing my son. Funny thing, he understands that.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #15

Umm, you are an animal person first and foremost! You don't have to be the person who lets the dog lick them in the mouth to be an animal person(ewww btw). You just got to open the door to your home for them. Being how your friend was a rescue, you opened your heart as well.

Get the carpeted runners for your steps, so no future accidents. I will post link in a few minutes.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:06 PM   #16

What a lovely story to share. And I don't think anyone would have thought you and your group of mourners were weird, crazy or anything else... not if they have ever loved and lost a 4-legged family member. I am not so much a dog person, but have been blessed to have had 3 beautiful, wonderful white cats who have enriched my life throughout the last 30 years. The cat I have now is not at all like my other 3 cats, but he tries. And he still enriches my life, including camping, running, hiking, which I am grateful for. Yay to pets and the Rainbow Bridge! I too, look forward to seeing my former pets one day. I have their remains with me at this very moment and will never forget them.
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:23 PM   #17

Quote:
Sorry if I was a little long winded but life has a way of overwhelming you sometimes but every now and then something occurs that brings buried memories to the surface.
Thanks for your patience and kind words.
No need to apologize. Dog people understand all too well.
She's where the rabbits run slow.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #18

My dogs would not go up the 4 steps to the 5er until I covered them with carpet. Had to hurry for a trip and just bought it at CW, installed in 30 seconds per step.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:42 AM   #19

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-42924-Wrap-Around-Step/
Install in seconds, and work really well.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #20

Dang it, who's cutting onions around here?!?
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply With Quote