Old 01-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #1

RV trap door to pet cage outside

I was writing about this on the Georgetown forum, but wasn't getting a lot of participation. Just found this forum that seems more appropriate. This idea is with cats in mind, though I think it could be adjusted for small dogs as well....

What is the feasibility of putting some kind of trap door in the wall somewhere in the RV (secure enough to keep out the hot air / cold air / bugs, etc.), giving your pet access to a cage beside the RV? You could keep a cat's litter box in the cage (no more smelly mess inside, ever), and give your pet a taste of life outside the RV, no supervision required.

Here's what I was thinking.... a cage like the one in the attached pic, sitting on the ground at the back of the RV. On the Georgetown 378, this is the back bedroom wall. Have a trap door in that wall just above the floor, with a tube or some kind of walkway long enough to reach the cage. The walkway is attached to the cage, with a hole cut in the cage for entry. Shelves are mounted in the cage for access to the ground and back up.

I think this is do-able. My question is, what's involved in cutting the hole in the wall of the RV? I have neither the tools nor the know-how to do it. Would a RV dealer do something like this? It doesn't seem like it would be much different from putting in a dryer vent, just a little bigger.

Comments? Suggestions? Thanks.

JJB

PS - the pic is from a cat cage website... not me in the pic. I'm a dude, y'all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cat cage.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	22631  

Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 AM   #2

Personally I would not want to haul that cage all over the place, it is HUGE. Plus you have to set it up and take it down when moving. Our to Cock-A-Poo dogs seem to LOVE being in the camper, of course they get outside for walks.
Now what I would consider doing is putting a pet access door going from inside the RV to one of the storage areas and put the litter box in there. A lot of the bus nuts I know have a door for their cats that goes down into a bay for that reason.
Jack.

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #3

I have seen smaller cat cages that adapt to an RV window, take out the screen and replace with their little door and it creates a self-service inside/outside space. Kat kabana is the name
Kitty Kat Kabana - a collapsible outdoor window cage for RVs

There are also some ideas in this thread
Cat condo 1 and Cat cond 2 with litter boxes! - iRV2 Forums
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #4

I constructed a small one that hangs on a window sill.

The corner braces are aluminum angle iron. The supports are adjustable paint roller poles. the whole thing is covered with window screening.

The two brown things (one on the other side) are to attach it to a platform mounted on the rear bumper.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	968
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	22636  
Attached Images

Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Horned Owl
I constructed a small one that hangs on a window sill.

The corner braces are aluminum angle iron. The supports are adjustable paint roller poles. the whole thing is covered with window screening.

The two brown things (one on the other side) are to attach it to a platform mounted on the rear bumper.

Joel
Good idea, surely less costly than the attachment above.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #6

On my 5th wheel, the cabinet below the TV is common with the storage area. I carefully cut an access door in the common wall. This allows access for our cat to the area where I have put a bed and litter box. The area is heated if required. I can either keep her out of the area by closing the cabinet door or keep her in the area. Works out great. I have also built a cage that takes the place of the storage door when the door is open. Cage is a dog cage that I have modified to attach to the door blank. Cage is removable and folds up for transport.

Rod
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	244.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	22662   Click image for larger version

Name:	247.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	22663  
Rod, Debbe 1 spoiled Chihuahua and Becky the cat
1Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

Thanks for all the discussion and ideas.

I'm not inclined to go with the window idea. My primary goal is to get the litter box outside the RV, and the window cage doesn't seem big enough for that, plus I wouldn't like the idea of the litter box being right there in the window. Otherwise, that's a pretty neat setup.

The setup in the storage bin is an interesting idea, and yours looks very well done, 1Texan. Nice job. I would consider something like that.

But I'm still leaning toward my original external cage idea at the back of the RV. I'll be full-timing, with extended stays at each stop. So the setup and break-down of the cage won't be a big issue. My cage will probably be half the width of the one in the pic, and it's pretty easy to break down and store for travel. It comes in 3' cube sections, so you can make the cage as big or small as you want in 3' increments. I'm thinking two 3' cubes stacked will be plenty big and tall enough to reach the trap door in the RV.

I'm still curious if anyone has experience or ideas about cutting through the RV wall. How do you know you won't be cutting through where there is wiring in the wall? Are there schematics available with that info? Definitely not something you want to find out after the cut.

JJB
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoBird View Post
Thanks for all the discussion and ideas.

I'm not inclined to go with the window idea. My primary goal is to get the litter box outside the RV, and the window cage doesn't seem big enough for that, plus I wouldn't like the idea of the litter box being right there in the window. Otherwise, that's a pretty neat setup.

The setup in the storage bin is an interesting idea, and yours looks very well done, 1Texan. Nice job. I would consider something like that.

But I'm still leaning toward my original external cage idea at the back of the RV. I'll be full-timing, with extended stays at each stop. So the setup and break-down of the cage won't be a big issue. My cage will probably be half the width of the one in the pic, and it's pretty easy to break down and store for travel. It comes in 3' cube sections, so you can make the cage as big or small as you want in 3' increments. I'm thinking two 3' cubes stacked will be plenty big and tall enough to reach the trap door in the RV.

I'm still curious if anyone has experience or ideas about cutting through the RV wall. How do you know you won't be cutting through where there is wiring in the wall? Are there schematics available with that info? Definitely not something you want to find out after the cut.

JJB
The wall is probably the easy part. You can tell from the window its only 2" thick or so at the window frame. You'd cut below that. Not sure what you could use for a penetration, maybe a pet door would work. Not alot of strength once you cut it so you would need a flange fitting inside and out and through bolts or machine screws. The wall consists of a luan very thin plywood like sheath inside, its bonded with a wall paper cover for color. Then you have almost 2" of styrofoam heat bolded to the inside and outside sheath. I believe the rear cap is a thin fibreglas in this area. A hole saw or boring tool could easily cut a neat nole though the wall in one piece. You or (they would have to locate and avoid the Aluminum I beams inside the bonded wall most likely one is located at centerline and then 12-16" either side of centerline. Believe they can easily locate them with a good quality stud finder. I've cut through both walls and floors in 3 separate RV's for different causes. They are all similar in construction. Do not cut right angle corners in the rear cap, it will likely fracture when under way due to stress loads, use round or radius corners when doing the final cut through the cap. Fibreglas exposed to moisture from a hairline crack even will swell and fail.

The biggest problem of the design is everywhere you camp will not be the same elevation front to rear. It will be a moving target trying to get the cage to match the opening. I've been in small mountain CG in Poconos mtns. in PA and NJ that has the rear end bumper 5' above grade compared to a pad where its 30". Anyway good luck with this part the answer to this might be like a slide with rectangular opening, rubber gasket against the M/H and adjustable shelf inside.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #9

I am very interested with this subject. I have figured out how to get a pet door into a compartment so I will not be cutting the exterior wall. However I need more ideas of how to build a light weigh, collapsible large cage to attach over the outside compartment door to allow access when the compartment door is opened. Some of the posts show a 3 ft cage wall of wire. I can not locate this so would love input. Thanks
Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further View Post
I am very interested with this subject. I have figured out how to get a pet door into a compartment so I will not be cutting the exterior wall. However I need more ideas of how to build a light weigh, collapsible large cage to attach over the outside compartment door to allow access when the compartment door is opened. Some of the posts show a 3 ft cage wall of wire. I can not locate this so would love input. Thanks
The pic I posted was from the website below. I haven't used one yet, but they look like just what I've wanted. Please post a review of whatever you go with. Thanks.

JoJo

http://www.mypetenclosures.com/