Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
CCRVOC

Sad Day-Had to say Good Bye

We had to put down our beloved dog this morning. It was very tough to say “good bye”, even though we knew this day would come. She, like most Sheppard’s, (Polly was our third) had hip dysplasia that got progressively worse, to the point where she could no longer get herself up.

Polly is a German Sheppard who we got 11 years ago when she was two. She was in training to be a bomb dog for the Army, when her trainer/handler decided he did not want to support the war effort any longer. So we took her home and we trained her to be a “pet”. She did not know how to play, only to obey commands and work. So it took us a while, but we molded her (maybe she molded us) into a fantastic pet, guard dog, horse for the grand children, and my shadow. She dutifully followed me everywhere I went, and I could always count on her being there, where ever I was. If I got in the truck and drove away, and I did not have the gate closed in the yard, she would follow my truck down the road. She had the run of the house and yard, using her doggie door as a turn style at times ….She was a low maintenance type of dog, she would not lick you, or bark (unless she was in protect mode), but nuzzle her nose next to your leg to say, “pet me”. When sitting in the living room, she would walk by me and stop to nudge my arm to pet her. At 630 sharp every evening, she would nuzzle my DW’s leg (never me) to say, “Okay, CHOW TIME, feed me” and act like a puppy as she followed my DW all the way to her bowl to get fed.

She made a mark on our family and in our hearts, but she is in a better place and without pain.
We will miss her.
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #2

That was one of the hardest things i have ever had to do, My dog Hudson a cocker/schnauzer mix made it 2 weeks shy of 19 years, i still have trouble talking about him even after 4 years, I am very sorry for your loss and i know how you feel, I hate to hear this about any ones pet .
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #3

Sorry for your loss. We all can relate.

Her energy is forever. Your post is proof.

Take care
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #4

Our condolences on the loss of Polly. I've been through the pain 3 times and it never gets easier. Reading your post it's obvious you put alot of time and effort into retraining her and making her part of your family. Sounds like she returned your love with her own. Rest in peace Polly.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Soooooooo sorry for your loss.
I put toby my beloved lab down Christmas this past year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412700246265.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	64275

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Over the Rainbow Bridge to pet heaven where they wait for us.....
So sorry for your loss....
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

So sorry for your loss. We had to put our golden lab mix Sadie down 5 years ago, and not a day goes by we don't miss her. We have since received a labradoodle named Bailey who we love unconditionally. We were told the last nice thing you do for a beloved pet is to make sure they no longer have to suffer. God Bless
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #8

I'm so sorry to hear that, We also have been through that. It's tough just hang in there. Sounded like a great companion.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #9

We also have had this sad experience way too many times over the past 30 years....

Most recent two years ago - our beloved yellow lab Buddy lost to Cushing's Disease - swore we would never have another dog in the family since it hurts so badly to say goodbye.... Fast forward 33 days - welcomed our chocolate lab Jackson to the house 💕💕

Your pet has been welcomed at the Rainbow Bridge by the best of the best 🌈

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

They give so much.
We had a shep we rescued from an acquaintance when the pooch we 13. Luckily she did not get dysplasia. She would shy from me since she had been beaten by her last male owner.
After about a month of being around our black lab, she came out of her shell and became a 90 pound puppy, incredibly silly, happy and just a fantastic friend and "lap dog".
I still miss her today as I do all the others. It's never good bye - just so long for now.

I feel very sad for your loss. Rescue another once you can.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Sorry to hear about Polly. Losing a pet is never easy and but the love they provided is forever.

Take care.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #12

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's amazing how much they give and although they ask little in return, before you know it, they end up taking your heart.
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:55 PM   #13

Sorry to hear, we just had to put our 12.5yr old German Shepherd down for the same reason due to her hips. We had her since she was a puppy and she lived with us before we got married, after we got married, and through the birth of two kids. She welcomed the kids into the family and was a wonderful dog too.

We put her down in August and I still find myself walking into the room where she used to lay down looking for her some mornings.

Her brain was still all there, it was just physically she couldn't get up. I think that's why it was so hard on us too.

We just took comfort as do you in knowing she's no longer in any pain.

Sorry again for your loss.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #14

So sorry for your loss.
TeamPlumlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #15
CCRVOC

Thank you for everyone's kind words of sympathy and encouragement. It is very much appreciated.

George and Ann Marie
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:31 PM   #16

Sorry for your loss. We lost "Princess", our dalmation, 5 years ago but then"Olivia" came along and everything is right in the world again!!
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #17

Sorry to hear about your loss. We had to put our dog down several years ago after 17 wonderful years. They become a part of the family and is a real heartbreaker to have to make the decision to put them down. Our heart goes out to you.

"Camping is not just a past time it is my relaxing way of life"
buskirk21921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Very sad day. They ask for so little and give so much to our lives. Prayers..
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #19
Anacortesians

We've always had Labradors (with one exception). We got our first one when DW was pregnant with our first daughter (who'll be 50 next year!). We had to leave her with my folks and my brother at the time we emigrated from England in 1968. She proved to be a great dog for them and made it to 14.

Right now we've got #s 5 & 6. We did get a pound mutt when she was 2 (a mix of Shepherd, Golden retriever and a bunch of other breeds) who made it to 16, despite going blind at 12. We went back to Labs after she passed.

The one we miss the most was Lab #4, a chocolate female, whom we rescued when she was only 6 months old. We found out, at 8 months old, that she had Addison's disease. She needed a shot every 25 days, so we became very well known at our local vet's. We were a steady source of revenue too, as the shots started out at around $40 a time and had escalated to almost $120 by the time she passed away at 14 years old!.

At 73 (me) and close to that (DW), we're thinking our present two (11 and 10) will probably be our last pair. It's tough for a 4' 11" person to control an 80-pound dog that wants to attack and kill a passing motorcycle. It's Angus's only quirk.

My condolences on your loss - it's a very difficult thing to handle, and it's no easier when its the fourth or fifth time than it was the first.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:14 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for loving Polly enough to give her the gift of peace. She will be guarding the rainbow bridge waiting for you. My Maddie will be there with her (she was a shepherd lab mix). This was sent to me when I had to make the same difficult choice for Maddie. You will cry when you read it and that is ok. Eventually, you will understand and embrace it.

THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF AN EXTREMELY DISTINGUISHED DOG

I, Chelsea, because of the burden of my illness and realizing the end of my life is near, do hereby bury my Last Will and Testament in the mind of my Master. She will not know it is there until after I am dead. Then, remembering me in her loneliness, she will suddenly know of this testament, and I ask her to inscribe it as a memorial to me.

I have little in the way of material things to leave. Dogs are wiser than men. They do not set great store upon things. They do not waste their days hoarding property. They do not ruin their sleep worrying about how to keep the objects they have not. There is nothing of value I have to bequeath except my love and my faith. These I leave to all those who have loved me, to my Master, Vicky, who I know will mourn me the most, to my companion, Will, but if I should list all those who have loved me, it would force my Master to write a book. Perhaps it is vain of me to boast when I am so near death, which returns all beasts and vanities to dust, but I have always been an extremely exceptional dog.

I ask my Master to remember me always but not to grieve for me too long. In my life I have tried to be a comfort to her in time of sorrow and a reason for added joy in her happiness. It is painful for me to think that even in death I should cause her pain. Let her remember that, while no dog ever had a happier life, I have now grown ill and pained. I should not want my pride to sink to a bewildered humiliation. It is time for me to say "good-bye". It will sorrow me to leave her but not sorrow me to die. Dogs do not fear death as men do. We accept it as part of life, not as something alien and terrible which destroys life. What will come to me after death? I will be in a place where one is always young; where I will someday be joined by companions I have known in life; where I will romp in lovely fields with those that have gone before me; where every hour is mealtime; where in long evenings there are fireplaces with logs forever burning, and one curls oneself up and remembers the old brave days on earth and the love of one's Master.

This is much to expect but peace, at least, is certain, and a long rest for these weakened limbs. And eternal sleep is perhaps, after all, the best.

One last request I earnestly make. I ask her, for love of me to have another. It would be a poor tribute to my memory never to have another Lab. What I would like to feel is that, having once had me, she cannot live without one! I have never had a narrow spirit. I have always held that most dogs are good. Some dogs are better than others--like me--and so I suggest a Black Lab as my successor. She can hardly be as well bred or as mannered or as distinguished and beautiful as I, but my Master must not ask the impossible. She will do her best, I am sure, and even her inevitable defects will help keep my memory green. To her I bequeath my collar and leash. I leave her my place in the car which I loved so much and wish for her long rides with open windows.

One last word of farewell, dear Master. Whenever you think of me, say to yourself with regret but also with happiness in your heart at the remembrance of my happy life with you, "She is the one who loved us and whom we loved." No matter how deep my sleep, I shall hear you, and not all the power of death can keep my spirit from wagging a grateful tail.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote