Old 10-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
Sad Day-Had to say Good Bye

We had to put down our beloved dog this morning. It was very tough to say “good bye”, even though we knew this day would come. She, like most Sheppard’s, (Polly was our third) had hip dysplasia that got progressively worse, to the point where she could no longer get herself up.

Polly is a German Sheppard who we got 11 years ago when she was two. She was in training to be a bomb dog for the Army, when her trainer/handler decided he did not want to support the war effort any longer. So we took her home and we trained her to be a “pet”. She did not know how to play, only to obey commands and work. So it took us a while, but we molded her (maybe she molded us) into a fantastic pet, guard dog, horse for the grand children, and my shadow. She dutifully followed me everywhere I went, and I could always count on her being there, where ever I was. If I got in the truck and drove away, and I did not have the gate closed in the yard, she would follow my truck down the road. She had the run of the house and yard, using her doggie door as a turn style at times ….She was a low maintenance type of dog, she would not lick you, or bark (unless she was in protect mode), but nuzzle her nose next to your leg to say, “pet me”. When sitting in the living room, she would walk by me and stop to nudge my arm to pet her. At 630 sharp every evening, she would nuzzle my DW’s leg (never me) to say, “Okay, CHOW TIME, feed me” and act like a puppy as she followed my DW all the way to her bowl to get fed.

She made a mark on our family and in our hearts, but she is in a better place and without pain.
We will miss her.

2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 640w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #2
That was one of the hardest things i have ever had to do, My dog Hudson a cocker/schnauzer mix made it 2 weeks shy of 19 years, i still have trouble talking about him even after 4 years, I am very sorry for your loss and i know how you feel, I hate to hear this about any ones pet .

Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
Sorry for your loss. We all can relate.

Her energy is forever. Your post is proof.

Take care
DocsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
Our condolences on the loss of Polly. I've been through the pain 3 times and it never gets easier. Reading your post it's obvious you put alot of time and effort into retraining her and making her part of your family. Sounds like she returned your love with her own. Rest in peace Polly.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Soooooooo sorry for your loss.
I put toby my beloved lab down Christmas this past year.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1412700246265.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	64275

TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Over the Rainbow Bridge to pet heaven where they wait for us.....
So sorry for your loss....
Dan, Carolyn & The Bandit (1999-2015 RIP...)
MCPO (Retired)
United States Navy ('65 - '87)
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
So sorry for your loss. We had to put our golden lab mix Sadie down 5 years ago, and not a day goes by we don't miss her. We have since received a labradoodle named Bailey who we love unconditionally. We were told the last nice thing you do for a beloved pet is to make sure they no longer have to suffer. God Bless
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
I'm so sorry to hear that, We also have been through that. It's tough just hang in there. Sounded like a great companion.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
We also have had this sad experience way too many times over the past 30 years....

Most recent two years ago - our beloved yellow lab Buddy lost to Cushing's Disease - swore we would never have another dog in the family since it hurts so badly to say goodbye.... Fast forward 33 days - welcomed our chocolate lab Jackson to the house 💕💕

Your pet has been welcomed at the Rainbow Bridge by the best of the best 🌈

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #10
They give so much.
We had a shep we rescued from an acquaintance when the pooch we 13. Luckily she did not get dysplasia. She would shy from me since she had been beaten by her last male owner.
After about a month of being around our black lab, she came out of her shell and became a 90 pound puppy, incredibly silly, happy and just a fantastic friend and "lap dog".
I still miss her today as I do all the others. It's never good bye - just so long for now.

I feel very sad for your loss. Rescue another once you can.

2011 PrimeTime Tracer 2600rls
2001 GMC Yukon XL 2500, 6.0L 4.10:1 axle ratio
Nights camping 2014 - 17
2013 - 15
Arefbee is offline   Reply With Quote