Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #21

Congrats, and kudos to you for taking him in :-) Looks like a happy dog!

We've had our dog (German Shepherd) for 2 1/2 years now and have no regrets - the companionship with a dog is so rewarding. We take ours camping in our tent trailer - 2 adults, 2 kids (3 the last time), and the dog likes nothing better than sprawling on the couch, and then jumping onto the bed in the morning to wake us up.

2009 Flagstaff 425D
2005 Avalanche ZR71
Hutch65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo700 View Post
We were not even looking for a dog but a border collie caught my eye. He is 4 years old and the pound said he is a very good dog. I seen him on Saturday and I can't stop thinking about him. We have a cat and the lady at the pound said he is afraid of cats. But I am not to worried about that. What would you do. I have never had a dog before.
Border Collies are about the most intelligent and loving dogs you can find!

We have an Australian Kelpie and she travels with us. (I would love to take our cat along, but cats are cats... she has an auto-feeder in the barn and seems to make out all right, but loves to see us come home)

If you love dogs, and can give you dog enough exercise, then a Border Collie should work. They do need a good daily run!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:52 AM   #23

Nice....he looks happy to have a home.
pwrstroke2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Well here he is. His name is ripley and he is a full bread border collie. He was great all night. He does listen very well already and seems house broken but we got him a kennel just to be sure for a little while.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:18 AM   #25

Ripley is beautiful! We have two border collie/lab mix siblings and they are great. Actually worked for a doctor for years that had borders for his farm...he brought them to work everyday...they herded all the carts that moved! Funny! If he nips at your ankles, don't be alarmed its a herding instinct.
Enjoy Ripley and enjoy "your" training
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #26

Congratulations! Energetic dog, but smart!
Always remember, like kids, dogs will out-grow any issues you have initially. Make sure it has things to chew that are OK to chew.
Again, like kids, dog-proofing the house is important. I went through three laptop power packs with our American Eskimo. She actually was able to uplug them while I was working!
If you have health questions, Pet Health Care | Dog and Cat Behavior Information by Veterinarians is a pretty good site.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #27

A friend of mine owned a cattle feedlot. He feed about three to four hundred steers to fatten them up before market. Just himself and two border collies would work those cattle. He would use whistling and hand signals to tell those dogs what to do. Occasionally while changing the steers from pen to pen a group of them would bolt and run off, one dog would hold the others while the other dog would take off and get around the strayed steers and turn them around. I aways enjoyed watching those dogs work..By the way they lived for the chance to do it. Very smart dogs...
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #28

If he tolerated being in a kennel overnight, then that is a good sign. Good luck with him!
crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #29

Congrats on a new life long friend. Thx for the pic too. He looks .
Old 11-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #30

We got Brandi in 1996 and took her camping a week later. She adapted to the camper very quickly. It doesn't matter where the camper is...to her, it is just an extensine of home. She is much happier in the camper alone if we are out doing something than being boared.

And now that the kids are gone I can tell you that she's a lot less trouble than they ever were. She never gets bored, doesn't care if it's raining, never complains about the menu and doesn't leave her junk all over the camper.

The only problem we have now is, at 16yrs, she does not appreciate the 4 step climb into the new 5thWheel. Now she just waits for us to pick her up. But she still gets very excited when she sees us getting ready for a trip. (Some how she always knows)

...and one last comment...We are convinced that camping has kept her young. (and us too)
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #31

Go for it! Border Collies in my opinion are the BEST dogs! Upon coming to Clovis, NM I wanted a dog to keep me company. I was checking out online sites, craigs list and the local pound but i was staying in hotel (waiting to close on my house) that didn't allow pets. At the back of the hotel i saw a border collie laying underneath a hawking my every move. I didn't think much of it and went on about my business. About two days later, i saw him again. I sat down on the curb and he came trotting and sat down next to me. He was in some bad shape, his fur was matted and was quit skinny. I advertised him on social media sites, craigslist and at the local pet store...and i am so thankful that no one claimed him. My thought is go for it! Rescue dogs know that it's their second chance and they thank you for it!
Bakka323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #32

Thanks everyone for the support. He had a hard time getting used to his kennel and did keep me up for a good portion of the night but he did finally fall asleep and he was out cold on his back this morning when I got up. The cat is going ok just keeping a really close eye on him and he really doesn't want anything to do with her. I think it will just take some time but I think both will be ok.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:06 AM   #33

Aw...what a cutie. There is a fulltimer here at the park I'm in presently who is living in a small 5th wheel with 2 border collies. He seems to be doing well. Only problem is they are serious barkers. So, if you can work with your boy and keep him happy and quiet and exercised, you should be fine. Kongs are great to leave with him in his crate. Freeze sardines or peanut butter & they will last longer.
Crate/kennel also keeps them safe from eating stuff they shouldn't!
4 Trips 70 nights
SibeTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well here he is. His name is ripley and he is a full bread border collie. He was great all night. He does listen very well already and seems house broken but we got him a kennel just to be sure for a little while.
Absolutely awesome! There are so many dogs out there that are wonderful and deserve a loving home. Good for you!

P.S. Both of our Wirehair Fox Terriers came out of puppymills. They have taken a lot of work but it is so rewarding. Once they bond with you, you have the most loyal dog imaginable.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #35

We have two dogs that go every where with us as pictured. Their not only good company but are good burglar alarms.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #36
TeresaInCAL

Congrats on your new family member! He's adorable! Next time you're at Walmart, go to the sports section, and buy a CASE of tennis balls...trust me, you'll need the whole case. ;0)

We play "hide the ball" games all the time. We put them in drawers, pockets, in cabinets, under blankets, anywhere, and our girl finds them. Just amazing to watch.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote