Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
CampingQueen

Should they stay or go?

We are long time dog lovers and owners and had to say goodbye to our house dog 'Petey' a few months ago due to cancer. I had been idlly thinking about getting another puppy, but had planned on waiting until after our big summer trip.

However, we came across an opportunity to welcome a new puppy into the home (long story) and when we went to see the puppies, we ended up coming home with two. (Hubby and I couldn't agree on which one we wanted, so I guess we have 'his' and 'hers' now.) Unfortunately, the pups turned out to be only 4 weeks old. Really, REALLY too young to be away from their mom, and barely eating solids, but as the lady was going to get rid of them that day, it was either go home with us and we finish raising them up, or go to a potentially worse situation.

Thankfully they are doing great a week later - we've got them on the right food for weaning and they are going to be great dogs. They are very healthy and smart, already responding well when called and haven't done #2 in the house since we got them on food they can actually digest. #1 training will take a while since they are still so young, but I think once they are are physically capable of holding their bladders, they will train really quickly. They are already going on the wee-wee pads exclusively in their X-pen, and know that outside is potty time.

Now, the camping question...

We are leaving first week in June for a 5 week trip. We COULD leave the pups at home since there will be someone at home while we are gone. However, they will just be at the age when consistent potty training is crucial (about 12 weeks when we leave). I'm hesitant to leave that to be someone else's responsibilty, and I think with their personalities, they will do pretty well adapting to changing locations and the travel. Plus the person at home is elderly and I'm concerned that two boisterous puppies run the risk of tripping her up and/or being too much for her to handle.

So, obviously I'm considering taking them with us. Just a few questions as we have never travelled with a dog before, not to mention ones that are still babies.

1) Anyone out there travelled with a pup this young? Any advice or suggestions?

2) They will be too young for Rabies vaccine until about the time we are almost home. I would think a vet's travel certification and proof of other vaccination would be sufficient given their age, but any thoughts?

3) Anyone have experience with the kennel at the Grand Canyon S. Rim? We are doing an overnight mule trail ride while there, and that is the only time we would not be able to take them more or less to the places we are seeing, or be leaving them alone for reasonable time in the camper.

Just trying to get a feel if I'm crazy even to think about taking them, or if those who have been there/done that can reassure me that we will be OK.

And, I hope I added the pictures OK. these pups are just too cute! From what we were told, the mom is an austrailian Shepherd and the dad a Corgie. Oh, and the question is about the canines - the human kids are coming either way as THEY are all up to date on shots and potty trained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130425_131330.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	29164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130421_091937.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	29165  
2011: 17 nights 2012: 26 nights 2013: 46 2014: 20 2015: 16
arlee453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

My animal expert DW says take them. Bonding is important at this stage. She suggests taking a kennel to keep them safe while driving and to manage potty stops. You probabky need to allow extra rime for frequent stops. You have better control in the MH because of the limitted space.
coupevillefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I would take them but contact the kennel that you plan to overnight with in advance to see if they take pups that young and what vaccines and documentation they need. when we travel we always kep a copy of the dogs shot record and vet phone # with us. you might want to research the areas you will be in to get the phone number and address of emergency vets there ahead of time. also when they are old enough, get them microchipped in case they escape the trailer. when leaving them in the trailer double back to see if they are barking and annoying neighbors. leave your number with neighbors and tell them to call you if any issues or if the dogs are barking HD annoying them. Come back and address the issue if the dogs are barking. try keeping windows/curtains closed and AC on to decrease stimuli for dogs. also give them something to kep them occupied while you are gone. If you ar crate training then crate them while away from trailer so they don't destroy it on you. remember that you have to train them to be good camping dogs.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #4

No Expert here but I would take them but be sure to have vet papers / information.....you may not be able to board them along the way w/o rabies vaccination...... Have they or will they have all their puppy vaccinations before the trip??? Get your vets opinion as well......

Expect accidents & as the other poster bring a crate they will feel more secure (& be secured).......start them out with local travel in the car to make sure they will travel well.....play with them in the RV to get them used to it as well....

We did one of the craziest thing by adopting a one year old dog while camping but it has worked out fine..... She is a great dog & our older dog took to her right away....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

By all means take them, if something happened if you left them, you would never forgive yourself. Just do like the others posted and take all the papers.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6

Most kennels in my experience require dogs to show evidence of Bordatello (kennel cough) vaccine, plus the other standard vaccines. I would not think rabies vaccine would be required at this point due to their age.

Really cute pups - would love to be taking one off our hands!!!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
MI Camperz

They are so beautiful! They look like tri-color Cavaliers. I just lost a blenheim Cavalier in November.
I would take them, crate them for safety and potty training.
Good thing you got them both actually from a litter standpoint. Losing mother so early interrupts learning certain doggy social behaviors such as bite inhibition. Having a litter mate will help that since they also learn from the litter before 8 weeks what is acceptable play roughness and what is not.
Good luck and Bless you and your new baby dogs. Waaaay tooooooooooo Cuuuuuuuuute!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
CampingQueen

Thanks everyone! We are definately crate training - I'm a big fan of using the crates to help with housebreaking and keep from "breaking-house" and getting into trouble when left loose to run before they are trustworthy in the house. Right now, due to their age they are in a wire X-pen when we are not with them, but I'll transition to a crate at night once they hit 10 weeks or so and are physically able to hold their bladders more than 20 minutes at a time.

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Good thing you got them both actually from a litter standpoint. Losing mother so early interrupts learning certain doggy social behaviors such as bite inhibition. Having a litter mate will help that since they also learn from the litter before 8 weeks what is acceptable play roughness and what is not.!
@ Bodzcampers - I thought the same thing about getting the two. When we first went to see them, we assumed they were about 7-8 weeks. Somewhere between leaving her house and getting home it hit me how immature they seemed to be. I got clarifcation later on their exact birthday and realized they were only 4 wks and 4 days when we got them. The lady had them eating the 'gaines burger' type of soft food and had weaned them on milk and bread. Poor things were pooping up a storm as that stuff was just going straight through them. Anyway, I'm glad in retrospect that we did decide to take two so they at least have a litter mate.

Thanks all - going to call the kennel at the Grand Canyon today and see what I can find out.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

I think you've gotten great advice here, and with the kids going along I'm sure the puppies will get all the attention they deserve.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #10

Oh my heavens, how cute are they? I would not be able to leave them home.

Find out as much info as you can, get all your paperwork in order, and have vet numbers during your trip handy.

I want to snuggle them!

They are going to be camping pros!!! We took our pup on a kayak when he was just four months old. He is now a kayaking pro. He loves it.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
CampingQueen

Update: Called the South Rim Kennel at the Grand Canyon. Super nice folks! Made reservations and we are good to go! They are fine with no rabies as long as the puppy is too young. Rates are $20 per pup per night, so pretty reasonable.

Looks like we will be taking them along!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

To Arlee453
How did the trip go? I'm sure the pups learned to "camp" quickly. Pics, please!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #13
MI Camperz

x2...How did those adorable babies do?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #14

They are so incredibly cute and lucky to have found a good home! Please post some more pics as they grow and let us know how they did camping.