Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodzcampers View Post
Thanks. I appreciate your support because I need it! She's home today post-op day one and I frantically called around when I got home from work this eve. She's so lethargic and it's 36 hours post-op. DH picked her up from hospital this am while I was at work.
She's on a potent Narcotic pain patch called Fentanyl. 25mcg Dose I would give an adult, and she's only 8 pounds. The ER/ICU vet said it was a dose for her size (dogs metabolize differently she said) and her lethargy 1st day home is normal. It feels like torturing her when it was all to make her better. Very distressing! I appreciate your support. This is much more complex for sure than a spay surgery. I'm such a worried camper! I'm going to get one of those slings too if she ever decides to move!
I feel your pain and hope she gets feeling better soon.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #682

Debbie--very sorry for your loss. Nothing ever prepares you for it. We lost our lab-pit mix to bone cancer in 2010, I still miss him terribly. I can't even imagine going through 2 TPLO surgeries (that's also what Zula had) and then lose her. Lousy break...

Bodz--your girl being zonked right now is the best thing for her! I know it seems very stressful when you bring them home, but she still has anesthesia in her system, and rest is good right now. Zula was liking lots of ice chips, it was a good way to keep her hydrated without having to make her stand at a bowl and drink, which she was too tired to do. Fentanyl is a strong med, but your vet is right--doggie metabolism is much faster than human (which is why they always feel so warm up against you.) Zula was on a dose of Tramadol (50mg) that would have put me to sleep for 2 days, and it barely kept her down. In fact, they told me to give it to her twice a day at first...then she was really zonked, too. Ortho surgery is always harder than spaying--its the mobility and weight bearing issues that keep you busy! Hang in there, it'll get better.

2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:23 AM   #683

When my lab/gsp mix, Elvis was 4 he tore his left rear cruciate and had surgery done. We kept him down for 12 weeks, then started building his strength up. 2 weeks later, on the day of the big blackout in south west Ontario, the other one gave out. The poor dog had to wait 3 days, till the power went on with a basically broken back leg and another that was barely functional. We got through it with a lot of crucial care and monitoring, and both times he was put on fentanyl patches. It's hard to watch, but needed medication for the surgery. Just a hint- I'm a pharmacy technician at Shopper's Drug Mart and, if your vet will do it, have him write any post-op prescriptions and take it to a drugstore. Tramandol and meloxicam as well as most meds are much cheaper there. Just to let you know that there's light at the end of that dark tunnel you're looking at- we had Elvis for almost 10 more years. Best time and money I've ever put into anything.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #684

This is Lucky, our six year old Beagle/Dachshund mix. We rescued him about a year ago and He and DW have become best friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-105859169.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	39552   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3644926671.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	39553  
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #685
Old Enough to Know Better

Here are our "Kids"

Maggie, Emma, Toby and Boz (Boswell) and the Big one is Libby
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Maggie,Emma,Toby, Boz.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	39559   Click image for larger version

Name:	Libby 2.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	39560  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
One of our rescues, Jody had torn her ligament in her back leg. Had to have TPLO surgery. She was to stay calm for 12 weeks. Took some doing, but with a crate and a play pen, it all worked out. She then injured her other back leg and we had to do a repeat of the surgery. She finally was "good to go" and she was diagnosed with cancer of her spleen. She only was with us a couple of days after that :-(. We miss her terribly, had her cremated and a marker done. We will bury her in the back yard eventually.
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's amazing how our four-legged friends make their way into our hearts and homes. They are family members and the pain of losing one is very real. My thoughts are with you.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 PM   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
One of our rescues, Jody had torn her ligament in her back leg. Had to have TPLO surgery. She was to stay calm for 12 weeks. Took some doing, but with a crate and a play pen, it all worked out. She then injured her other back leg and we had to do a repeat of the surgery. She finally was "good to go" and she was diagnosed with cancer of her spleen. She only was with us a couple of days after that :-(. We miss her terribly, had her cremated and a marker done. We will bury her in the back yard eventually.
Very sorry for your loss. We lost our 12 year old border collie to kidney disease and the next year our golden to cancer. We have them buried in the yard under their favorite shade tree.
We got our new golden, Keely, in 2011 and at 6 months old broke her toe , we had to keep her quiet for 8 weeks, not easy. We actually wheeled her around in a wagon for a week or so.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0784.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	39594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8223.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	39595  

2013 Rockwood 8289WS
2012 F350 crew cab 6.2 - 3.73
Reese 16K hitch
Days camping 2013 - 26
canterburyshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #688

Bailey, 7 y/o Yorkie enjoying the ride behind Neal and the slider. Her chosen "place" while rolling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	39596  
2013, 107 days; 2014, 190 days, 2015, 184
2016 134 so far
ADK-RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #689
MI Camperz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecar View Post
When my lab/gsp mix, Elvis was 4 he tore his left rear cruciate and had surgery done. We kept him down for 12 weeks, then started building his strength up. 2 weeks later, on the day of the big blackout in south west Ontario, the other one gave out. The poor dog had to wait 3 days, till the power went on with a basically broken back leg and another that was barely functional. We got through it with a lot of crucial care and monitoring, and both times he was put on fentanyl patches. It's hard to watch, but needed medication for the surgery. Just a hint- I'm a pharmacy technician at Shopper's Drug Mart and, if your vet will do it, have him write any post-op prescriptions and take it to a drugstore. Tramandol and meloxicam as well as most meds are much cheaper there. Just to let you know that there's light at the end of that dark tunnel you're looking at- we had Elvis for almost 10 more years. Best time and money I've ever put into anything.
Thanks! You're exerience that ended well is an inspiration. I want what is best for her long tdrm benefit. Your story gives me hope for her return to joy and playfullness
Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #690

Here's Daisy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100MEDIA36IMAG1762-1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	39599