Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2017, 01:50 PM   #21

De clawing a cat would be like haveing your fingernails cut out and then haveing to walk on your hands untill they heal up.It is cruel,inhumane, and should be illeagle.We traveled with cats for25 yrs,always either one or two at a time.They never scratched anything and one even had a litter of kittens under the air-ride drivers seat of the KW.We stayed a few extra days at that camp!
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Now lets be real... WE do not actually train our cats... They TRAIN US!!!

Our cat just allows me to live in her home... And feed her and pay the mortgage, but that is only because she does not have opposable thumbs and cannot reach the refrigerator door release..

I've always wanted a tiger. Can you imagine trying to get one out of your favorite chair?

Warning! Attack Cat, it goes right for the throat.......
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:09 PM   #23
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
De clawing a cat would be like haveing your fingernails cut out and then haveing to walk on your hands untill they heal up.It is cruel,inhumane, and should be illeagle.We traveled with cats for25 yrs,always either one or two at a time.They never scratched anything and one even had a litter of kittens under the air-ride drivers seat of the KW.We stayed a few extra days at that camp!
Your anology is way off. Their nails are on top of the bone so they do not walk on them.
I have 2 cats myself both with their nails intact. It's an option for some, that's it. It is legal in the states and the cat is fine afterwards. We don't need to turn this into an animal activist post. [emoji80]
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #24

My only comment is.. My DW of 32 years loves cats but they never go in the RV and that is a good thing.

Personally I despise cats but I like being happily married too.

A happy wife is a happy life.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #25

Quote:

Our cat just allows me to live in her home... And feed her and pay the mortgage, but that is only because she does not have opposable thumbs and cannot reach the refrigerator door release..
.......Sign in my vet's office; "Dogs Have Masters - Cats Have Staff" ......
Old 04-02-2017, 07:34 PM   #26

...and fighting like cats and dogs is a fairy tale. My DW has 6 in the house and I have 2 dogs and the cats think the dogs are cats or maybe it's the other way around, not sure, but everyone gets along just fine.

The cats curl up with the dogs and sleep together. When the dogs go out, the cats want out. Dogs come in, cats come in.

My wife and I are really doggy / cat door openers and feeders and scratchers. Neither the dogs nor the cats ever set a paw in the RV.

Just too compact a space for a 4 legged anything, but then we actually have a pet sitter that takes care of the clan when we go somewhere.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 PM   #27
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
...and fighting like cats and dogs is a fairy tale. My DW has 6 in the house and I have 2 dogs and the cats think the dogs are cats or maybe it's the other way around, not sure, but everyone gets along just fine.

The cats curl up with the dogs and sleep together. When the dogs go out, the cats want out. Dogs come in, cats come in.

My wife and I are really doggy / cat door openers and feeders and scratchers. Neither the dogs nor the cats ever set a paw in the RV.

Just too compact a space for a 4 legged anything, but then we actually have a pet sitter that takes care of the clan when we go somewhere.
Does that qualify the DW as a crazy cat lady?

Oh.. AND, for those animal people!

NUM NUM!

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by phln View Post
Attachment 133578
Get one of these
LOL
alexisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
We have 3 dogs we cover everything with blankets before we leave. On the front seats we use bungee cords to wrap around them so their claws don't get into the leather furniture. The back of the coach I shut the door so they can't get in the back not that there's anything back there that they can hurt. We had replaced two seats because I forgot to cover them and one of the dogs got excited and started jumping up and down and damaged the leather material. Buckley down in southern Texas it's fairly inexpensive to get stuff like that fixed. Manufacture sent me the proper material and proper color match cost me $35 to have the back of the seat called off the old covered take him off the bed panels replaced and it already assembled.
Tell me more about this bungee cord solution? Do you wrap them around the entire seat?
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:

Truth!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:42 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
I agree with you. I don't understand people who think this is an 'ok' solution. I could never.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:12 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
Your anology is way off. Their nails are on top of the bone so they do not walk on them.
I have 2 cats myself both with their nails intact. It's an option for some, that's it. It is legal in the states and the cat is fine afterwards. We don't need to turn this into an animal activist post. [emoji80]
The LAST thing I am is an "animal activist" I actually got that analogy from a vet many years ago.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #33

[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5443.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	133756  
Old 04-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #34

And for the record we have 2 dogs and 2 cats (with claws intact)
Old 04-03-2017, 01:53 PM   #35
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
And for the record we have 2 dogs and 2 cats (with claws intact)
Same here![emoji106]
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Eyourlife-C...at+claw+covers

These come in various sizes and colors.
I can see these possibly working for dogs who can't retract their claws but I can't imagine they would ever work well for a cat.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #37

I keep my cats nails trimmed nice and short so he isn't able to do much damage when he tries dig in. We also found a couple of objects that he really enjoys to dig into that we use a sacrificial objects. (An old wood ladder and a carpet covered scratching pad.) He doesn't bother the regular furniture when his favorite items are available.
'69 Chevy C-10, 396BB
alsdas88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #38

They can work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I can see these possibly working for dogs who can't retract their claws but I can't imagine they would ever work well for a cat.
They worked well for our cat. As I said previously in this thread, it requires a lot of patience, in addition to your cat simply allowing you to put these on without ripping you to shreds in the process.

It is tedious and time consuming to get even the two front paws done. And with each passing week, one or two will need replacing.

Of course this is still a better alternative to declawing. However as I said before, if your cat gets outside from time to time - the soft claws do hinder their ability to climb and appropriately defend themselves in certain situations.
richnanaimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #39

Well, all is going well so far as the cats get used to the MH. No scratches yet. I have purchased a new cat tree tower for them that will fit between the two front seats while we're parked. I've also covered my front seats with some crappy $30 seat covers (they'll do) and my dinette with old flat sheets and nice plush blankets. So far so good.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #40

I think declawing is cruel and dangerous..... especially if they get away while traveling.
Pleasantsurroundings is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, roo, roof