Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #1

Thunder Shirt

Would like to see some comments if you have used the Thunder Shirt to calm your pets, good or bad. I hate to spend the $40 if more people say that they didn't work for them. Thanks
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
Now a "Top Member"

I've never even heard of it. Google, here I come!
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #3

In combination with these, the Thunder Shirt works well for our dog when a storm rolls in.... he's a black lab, hound mix...
BlueOX SwayPro (used when hauling cart too)
TomStacey616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #4

I've bought two, one for the little dog (20 lbs) and one for the big dog (150 lbs). They work great. Little dog would try and sleep on my head during thunder storms, mow he will still get nervous, but no where near as bad as it was. The big dog would try and get up in bed with at night during a storm and now he just lays on the floor. IMHO they are worth the money.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
gmccarth1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
NELA

Our Fred used to get horribly afraid when it thundered. We discussed a thunder shirt for him, since he'd calm down somewhat if I just took him to bed and wrapped the covers tightly around him.

Our vet says they work, and a couple of her customers told me they work (one brought her dog in wearing one..he's afraid of car travel).

Fred seems to have mostly grown out of his fear...I guess he's learned that thunder doesn't mean he'll soon be up to his chin in nasty mud and water anymore. He was abandoned in a dog pen with three other very large dogs...that pen was very low, and became a shallow pond when it rained....warm or cold weather. There were two doghouses...the big dogs took them over, climbing up on top, leaving him in the muck.

He now has his own nice doghouse...three bedroom, two bath, with air and heat. Actually he has two of 'em, one is brand new, on wheels!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM   #6

I think the thunder shirt worked on our yorkie to tame her high anxiety some, however , all the good it done was undone when we had to take it off with that ripping Velcro sound. She dreaded that.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7

We've go one for Cooper. His a nervous little dog and hates thunder. nice part is that we always know when its coming tho. we bought a TS and haven't honestly noticed an improvement. But that's more of a dig on my pooch than the fine product. tell ya what.. i'll give you a TS...comes with a nervous dog tho... hahahaha
Spence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
We've go one for Cooper. His a nervous little dog and hates thunder. nice part is that we always know when its coming tho. we bought a TS and haven't honestly noticed an improvement. But that's more of a dig on my pooch than the fine product. tell ya what.. i'll give you a TS...comes with a nervous dog tho... hahahaha
I just love you 'sense of humor'.....would love for you to give me the Thunder Shirt, but is it big enough to put 2 nervous dogs in it!!!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccarth1150 View Post
I've bought two, one for the little dog (20 lbs) and one for the big dog (150 lbs). They work great. Little dog would try and sleep on my head during thunder storms, mow he will still get nervous, but no where near as bad as it was. The big dog would try and get up in bed with at night during a storm and now he just lays on the floor. IMHO they are worth the money.
Glad to hear your positive response.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing75 View Post
Glad to hear your positive response.
Missing75: How is your new little dog doing now? Could you update us?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #11

We tried the thunder shirt on our dog and it did very little to his anxiety in the car. We have found that a DAP collar (Pheromone) works wonders. Put it on him an hour before we leave and we do not hear a peep out of him. It basically mellows them out and it very natural as well.

Amazon.com: Adaptil, D.A.P (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Collar for Medium to Large Dogs - 27.6": Pet Supplies
rkuffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

Cinnamon update

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Missing75: How is your new little dog doing now? Could you update us?
Cinnamon is coming along slowly, but surely. Our last campout was 3 weeks ago, so we have had plenty of 'home' training. She still gets quite agitated when I put her in her crate----have tried all the treat coaxing tips---haven't found the 'secret'.

My trailer is parked in my driveway, so several times a day, we would go out there, and just spend some time, watching TV....and then I would put her in her crate and either stay there with her, or would walk out, wait awhile and then walk back in. Still gets agitated.

We have a campout this weekend, so I will be sure to warn my neighbors that I have a 'dog-in-training' and that she likes to cry alot, when she is in her crate.

It's only been 5 weeks since we joined company, it will just take time.

Pic is right after I brought her home from being spayed, definitely an attitude adjustment....3 quiet days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (27).jpg
Views:	126
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	37697  
Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuffler View Post
We tried the thunder shirt on our dog and it did very little to his anxiety in the car. We have found that a DAP collar (Pheromone) works wonders. Put it on him an hour before we leave and we do not hear a peep out of him. It basically mellows them out and it very natural as well.

Amazon.com: Adaptil, D.A.P (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) Collar for Medium to Large Dogs - 27.6": Pet Supplies
Dap is on my list of things to try. I am only trying one new 'trick' at a time, that way I will be able to tell what works, and what doesn't. Thanks for your feedback.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #14

By reading everyone's response on the Thunder Shirt to help with 'storms' and 'riding in the car', it looks like it's about even---yeas and nays.

I guess that I should have stated that I wanted to know if anyone used the TS for 'separation anxiety when being put in a crate'. OOOPS
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing75 View Post
Cinnamon is coming along slowly, but surely. Our last campout was 3 weeks ago, so we have had plenty of 'home' training. She still gets quite agitated when I put her in her crate----have tried all the treat coaxing tips---haven't found the 'secret'.

My trailer is parked in my driveway, so several times a day, we would go out there, and just spend some time, watching TV....and then I would put her in her crate and either stay there with her, or would walk out, wait awhile and then walk back in. Still gets agitated.

We have a campout this weekend, so I will be sure to warn my neighbors that I have a 'dog-in-training' and that she likes to cry alot, when she is in her crate.

It's only been 5 weeks since we joined company, it will just take time.

Pic is right after I brought her home from being spayed, definitely an attitude adjustment....3 quiet days.
Thanks for the update. Sounds like slow but sure progress. I knew it would work out. She's lucky to have an owner who's willing to go the extra mile.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote