Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM   #1

Travel With Big Birds

My wife and I are new to RV with a Motor home - Just bought a Forester 3011DS.

We have a Blue Front Amazon and an African Grey - anyone ever travel with a flock?

How do you cage them?
mparus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:14 PM   #2

I've seen a few at CG's with the big cages outside and the birds, but couldn't tell you how they travel in the RV. People do it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:39 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How do you transport them to other places? (like the vet)
Do you fasten the cages?

My late Uncle had an African Grey. They strapped a cage to the back of the passenger seat with the cage sitting on the floor.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #4

I have a Blue & Gold Macaw. I would NEVER put my fellow campers through the noise Archie can make. Remember, a happy bird is a loud bird. You might find your fellow campers looking up recipes for Roasted African Grey.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

we unfortunately were assigned to a site once which had a next-door neighbor with 'birds'... no, I won't do that anymore. I asked to be assigned somewhere else in the park, a LONG way away.

just sayin'...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:43 PM   #6

We have a medal travel cage and our African Gray rode in the back seat of the truck. She loves traveling. When we stopped even for a night we would carry her cage and set her on a folding table. We of course would let her out inside and stretch her wings. As far as I know she did not make a lot of noise when we were away. I am sure we were a sight to see with a large dog, 2 cats and a parrot. One of us always stayed with the vehicle when we stopped for gas or pit stops.

Upon researching your model, if you don't have the entertainment center in the bunk area it would be a perfect place for a couple of cages. We were in a 23ft TT

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #7

This post has me thinking about taking my hens with us. Not sure how we'd do it, but it'd be fun offering farm fresh omelets to the neighbors!

2017 Forest River Surveyor 247BHDS...
...Tugged by a 2016 F250 XLT FX4 SuperCrew, Shortbed 6.2L, 4wd, 3.73...
...Joined with a Husky Centerline TS 800-1200lbs WDH
clarkbre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

We used to tent camp with 4 macaws and one yellow nape. You should check the rules of campgrounds most will NOT allow non domestic animals. We now only have a Goffins Cockatoo and she is NOT welcome because of passing of germs.
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #9
Chris and Cecil

Lol! Take the hens

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkbre View Post
This post has me thinking about taking my hens with us. Not sure how we'd do it, but it'd be fun offering farm fresh omelets to the neighbors!
Had to laugh. When our last dog died over Labor Day I gave away my older flock of 7 hens and 2 roosters. No more need for a house sitter when we camp! But I sure do miss the eggs. If you figure out how to do it let me know. May get some more barred rocks.
Alabama Potter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #10

As long as you can keep that parrot or McCaw quiet in the back seat with cage strapped in I'd have it riding with me. Other wise he is in a "dry" cage in back swinging and singing on a swivel hook with safety cable attached to the cage. Some folks don't go anywhere without their birds.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #11

Travel with Birds

We travel with our African Gray who is part of the family and would never be left at home. He travels in his traveling cage attached to the dinette table with bungee cords. He loves looking out the window. When we need the table his cage goes on top of the bunk over the cab. Of course, he gets let out inside the motor home only. He is not loud, but on occasion he has made a wolf whistle at a passerby.
See-Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #12

Full time with parrots

Have been fully time for 2 years with 4 parrots. Blue and gold, mccaw, Amazon, severe mccaw, conure. Travel in cages in rear set it crew can pickup. Have larger cages in towhauler with divided rear area. They are will behaved and love to be on the road. The sing and talk all the time. Very seldom do they make a lot of noise for no reason. They need a lot of attention to be happy, like any other pet. Love our birds and have had no issues at any campground around the country.
davechamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:47 PM   #13

Waiting for my 29 year old cockatiel (yes, really 29 yrs old) to pass (too much arthritis to travel) & then the African Grey will be joining us. Has a travel cage to come to work with me every now & then that will be put to use on the road. Getting the bird used to different cages & places each weekend just moving around the house (African greys are typically very concerned with new environments & sometimes have a hard time wanting to eat because they are on such high alert). Looking forward to saving the pet sitter money for us!

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:40 PM   #14

We travel fulltime with two dogs and an African Grey parrot. She rides in a soft carrier on the hump in my F350HD attached to a bungie stretched between headrests. If she is thirsty she asks for a drink. If she wants a treat she says she wants some. It has been a good thing for her. It's the best she has behaved in 17 years. There is something new all the time versus sitting in a cage in the living room waiting for us to return from work. You gotta prepare for worst case scenarios like COLD. What do you do if you lose power and its 30 degrees outside? Just takes a little thinking. Only time anyone knows about our bird is when she is outside and people ask, "Is that is a parrot? I usually say, "Yes it is." and then they come over and we chat.

Tags
travel