Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

Traveling with Cat

We have decided that taking our cat with us camping is he only humane thing to do. Several times we have left him home where he seems to enjoy the peace and quiet.
Our pet came to us via a neighbor, just after he purchased a dog for his children. The cat and dog did not get along at all and soon came to live with us.
He shares his 24 hour days between living with us when we are home and living outside when we are not. Except when we go off for the weekend, we leave him shut up with the run of the house.
He does use his litter box and eats only cat food from a bag. Also likes to sleep with us at night and will stay a sleep as long as we do.
We have never had him in a cat carrier and just recently, we purchased a straight jacket for him to use with a leash...we have put the jacket on him two times, both times he did not move....that maybe a good thing...working on getting it on him again tomorrow along with a leash..
He loves the camper and has actually spent the night several times by himself by accident.
Anyone have any great ideas to getting him ready to go camping, would be appreciated..
kick
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
Always Learning

No ideas, but a "have you thought of..." - since he's an inside/outside cat, have you thought of his wanting to be outside when camping and making a break for it? Will be come back when called? What happens if it's leaving time and he jets? (You don't need to answer- just getting you thinking.)

How does he do traveling? My big cat used to be really good at it as a kitten. Now he's a horrendous meowing mess when he's in the car. But he's a good 15 years old now, too.

I've read of some vets suggesting a small dose of children's benodryl to calm them down some.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #3

We don't do anything special with our cat just put her in the truck and go. She is a little antsy at first but she calms down and acts like a dog looking out the windows. She loves camping. We put a harness on her and tie about 10 foot of rope to it but don't tie her up and just let her rome around and she thinks she tied up so it keeps her close.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #4

Run Off

We have purchased a harness for him when he goes outside...he has not completely accepted the harness as yet..with that said, that is the only way I would let him go outside...Since this is our first camping cat, we do not know what to expect from him and I'm sure he does not know what to expect from us..With that said....When we are home, he will not use his litter box and likes to go out...When we leave him home alone, he will use his litter box...Since we have never taken him outside on his leash, we don't know what to expect when we finally do.
We will start today working him into his harness...by weeks end, we should have him on the leash as well...
Our first outing with him will be on the 24th up to Pigeon Forge, TN..maybe we can tell from that whether or not he wants to be a fellow camper with us.
Appreciate your suggestions..second opinions are always welcome..
Take Care..The Kicklighters
Dallas, GA.
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #5

Once when we were camping the people next to us had 2 cats. They had this expandable mesh tube about 24"high and like 10' long it was round and they use to put the cats in that. They would run around in it and play all day long.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 AM   #6

Tube

Now that would be something I would love to see...not ever having see anything like that before..sure it would be very comfortable for either a cat or dog..might check into that...thanks
1985 S-10 One Owner:
Old 04-12-2013, 05:07 AM   #7

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ips-20946.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:46 PM   #8

Our cat, Misty, has travelled over 30K. Some of it is very good and some bad. The current trip through Canada, New York, PA OH and IN has been the best as she sleeps on DW's lap and her favorite blanket in the backseat. We use a small dog harness on her during the day, so that we can grab her should she get out of the truck and to attach a leash around the CG. We have a portable kennel which we used once after dark.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Sometime ours cats have been able to slip out their harness so it's a good idea to have a separate collar with idea tag. We also have ours microchipped just in case they get lost or stolen then ref-found. I believe all vets use the chip database. We also carry inoculation records.

Would not do the Benadryl, tried that and our cat had a terrible reaction. You can purchase a calming collar at most pet stores that seems robe very effective.

We are into our second week as first timers traveling with two cats. Both have gotten use to the harness. One will walk on the leash with no problem, the other doesn't like to get outside at all. He wants to stay in the truck, or in the camper, but not in between.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

If anyone see the cats in the mesh cages you have to take a video and post it. Note sure if I could stand to watch it, laughing enough just reading the post.
Old 07-31-2013, 04:58 PM   #11

Lehman:
Back in the '80s we were camping in Nova Scotia. Our kids were still sub-teens, and my daughter's cat Jennie was with us. For the most part, she stayed in a little spot she selected for herself and seemed very content. We were able to keep her inside, kept her little box in the shower stall. But when we pulled into a Provincial Park in NS late at night, I opened the door to start setting up, and Jennie was out in a flash. Daughter went into panic state, and we were out with flashlights at midnight looking for the cat.

We did find her with help of a couple of neighbor campers whom we had wakened!

Moral of the story! Take extreme care that your cat doesn't bolt unexpectedly - they are unpredictable! (I'll introduce her to my dog on our Alaska trip!!)
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #12
Granny Frog

Cooper, our 17 month old Burmese, has been traveling with us since we first brought him home. At the time we had a 21' Rockwood Mini-Lite. We would take off for month-long trips frequently & he seemed to enjoy it. Then we sold our home - DH quit his part-time job - ordered our 2014 Cedar Creek CKTS - moved into our 21' rolling home for 6 weeks to experience the good life full timing. Although we thought Cooper was happy, we noticed that he wasn't purring like he used to & he was always looking to go out. In fact, he almost escaped a few different times. He has always enjoyed going out on his leash with his harness on so we didn't think that much of it. When we moved into the new 39' fiver from the 21' bumper pull, he became his old self again. No more trying to escape. He is back to purring most the time. He is quite the happy camper and so are we.
2013 Sierra Denali 2500 4WD Crew Cab

Fulltimers since 6/5/13
ksjerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #13
Temporary Full-timer

Pet door

We are full-timers with a siamese kitty. I wanted her to be able to explore outside at her leisure. I figured out that the laundry hamper was directly over the pass-thru belly storage. I cut a hole in the wall panel between the bed room and hamper and fitted that with a small pet door. Then I cut a hole in the floor of the hamper. For part of the day, we leave the outside door open. She can come and go as she pleases during that time. She can easily jump up and down to/from the ground. She's really a home-body and has never ventured very far. She was chased by a neighbors rotweiller once, and she easily retreated to the inside. The dog was very confused though, wondering where she had gone.
bbaudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Resident Masshole

Ok, so I'm going to turn this into an "out yourself" thread.

I'll out myself by saying I can't wait for the day my 4 indoor/outdoor cats finally run away so I can get a dog.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaudoin View Post
We are full-timers with a siamese kitty. I wanted her to be able to explore outside at her leisure. I figured out that the laundry hamper was directly over the pass-thru belly storage. I cut a hole in the wall panel between the bed room and hamper and fitted that with a small pet door. Then I cut a hole in the floor of the hamper. For part of the day, we leave the outside door open. She can come and go as she pleases during that time. She can easily jump up and down to/from the ground. She's really a home-body and has never ventured very far. She was chased by a neighbors rotweiller once, and she easily retreated to the inside. The dog was very confused though, wondering where she had gone.
"The dog was very confused ..." I can only imagine how amusing that whole scene must have been.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #16
Temporary Full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Ok, so I'm going to turn this into an "out yourself" thread.

I'll out myself by saying I can't wait for the day my 4 indoor/outdoor cats finally run away so I can get a dog.
I hear ya! Cats are all about what you can do for them.

I'm just hoping a squirrel doesn't figure out how to use the kitty entrance.