Old 07-31-2013, 05:58 PM   #11

Lehman:
Back in the '80s we were camping in Nova Scotia. Our kids were still sub-teens, and my daughter's cat Jennie was with us. For the most part, she stayed in a little spot she selected for herself and seemed very content. We were able to keep her inside, kept her little box in the shower stall. But when we pulled into a Provincial Park in NS late at night, I opened the door to start setting up, and Jennie was out in a flash. Daughter went into panic state, and we were out with flashlights at midnight looking for the cat.

We did find her with help of a couple of neighbor campers whom we had wakened!

Moral of the story! Take extreme care that your cat doesn't bolt unexpectedly - they are unpredictable! (I'll introduce her to my dog on our Alaska trip!!)

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Granny Frog

Cooper, our 17 month old Burmese, has been traveling with us since we first brought him home. At the time we had a 21' Rockwood Mini-Lite. We would take off for month-long trips frequently & he seemed to enjoy it. Then we sold our home - DH quit his part-time job - ordered our 2014 Cedar Creek CKTS - moved into our 21' rolling home for 6 weeks to experience the good life full timing. Although we thought Cooper was happy, we noticed that he wasn't purring like he used to & he was always looking to go out. In fact, he almost escaped a few different times. He has always enjoyed going out on his leash with his harness on so we didn't think that much of it. When we moved into the new 39' fiver from the 21' bumper pull, he became his old self again. No more trying to escape. He is back to purring most the time. He is quite the happy camper and so are we.

2013 Sierra Denali 2500 4WD Crew Cab

Fulltimers since 6/5/13
ksjerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #13
Temporary Full-timer

Pet door

We are full-timers with a siamese kitty. I wanted her to be able to explore outside at her leisure. I figured out that the laundry hamper was directly over the pass-thru belly storage. I cut a hole in the wall panel between the bed room and hamper and fitted that with a small pet door. Then I cut a hole in the floor of the hamper. For part of the day, we leave the outside door open. She can come and go as she pleases during that time. She can easily jump up and down to/from the ground. She's really a home-body and has never ventured very far. She was chased by a neighbors rotweiller once, and she easily retreated to the inside. The dog was very confused though, wondering where she had gone.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Resident Masshole

Ok, so I'm going to turn this into an "out yourself" thread.

I'll out myself by saying I can't wait for the day my 4 indoor/outdoor cats finally run away so I can get a dog.
Nights camped in 2014: 8
Nights camped in 2013: 30
force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #15
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaudoin View Post
We are full-timers with a siamese kitty. I wanted her to be able to explore outside at her leisure. I figured out that the laundry hamper was directly over the pass-thru belly storage. I cut a hole in the wall panel between the bed room and hamper and fitted that with a small pet door. Then I cut a hole in the floor of the hamper. For part of the day, we leave the outside door open. She can come and go as she pleases during that time. She can easily jump up and down to/from the ground. She's really a home-body and has never ventured very far. She was chased by a neighbors rotweiller once, and she easily retreated to the inside. The dog was very confused though, wondering where she had gone.
"The dog was very confused ..." I can only imagine how amusing that whole scene must have been.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Temporary Full-timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by force View Post
Ok, so I'm going to turn this into an "out yourself" thread.

I'll out myself by saying I can't wait for the day my 4 indoor/outdoor cats finally run away so I can get a dog.
I hear ya! Cats are all about what you can do for them.

I'm just hoping a squirrel doesn't figure out how to use the kitty entrance.