Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Warning to pet owners

Baby sitting our daughters 15 yr. Border Collie & camping for the week. She has difficult making it up & down the steps to our TT. We place a beach towel under the tummy and so far it helps. HOWEVER....this morning going down the steps I noticed she was limping when she was on the ground, than I noticed blood on our mat. I went up the steps to notify my husband when I noticed a whole toe nail laying on one of the steps. Her toe nail got pulled out completely by one of those small holes in the steps. Please don't let this happen to your dog, lesson learned a little too late for Bella, but we now have wrapped bath towels on each step & secured them with grey tape. We did not have carpet on the steps, had a strip of sand tape with a rubbery yellow strip on edge for ourselfs to see the steps better when stepping down. Just never heard this on any forums, so please be aware. She will be just fine, we soaked the foot & cleaned it, than placed peroxide & triple antibiotic on it. We will watch for infection. We feel like such horrible grandparents.

Sharon.72064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
We have carpet step covers. Two of our three use the steps...the 14 year old boy needs to be lifted up and in. We have a garden bench with floral design cut outs in our backyard and my rescued Schnauzer likes to sit there with me...well last week he jumped up and promptly got his paw snagged in a cut out...screamed like a very hungry infant. I held him and my wife was able to dislodge his paw. He was a bit sore but ok. Doubt he sits with me there again. I'll miss that!

martinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
We just carpeted our steps for our last trip. Our border collie refused to step up into the camper. Sorry to hear about your pooch, hope that it heals quickly.
2015 puma 295bhss
2009 ram 3500 6.7l ctd
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #4
Now a "Top Member"
Wow...I never heard of that. I will have to look. Thanks for the heads up...and hope your pup gets better.
Ed and Sharon
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS
2011 Ford F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
Flour stops the blood and will help .
Many of my dogs have had broken nails .Always keep flour around. .
2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
hrlyguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:01 PM   #6
Wow we will have to look at some carpeted pads for the steps to prevent this happening to our lab.
Orval and Yvonne
2016 Flagstaff 27RLWS Emerald Package
2011 F150 SCrew XTR 5.0L 4x4
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:31 PM   #7
A 15 yo dog does have some anti-inflammatories that she is already taking right? If not she really needs a quick vet visit for pain & antibiotics - most topicals won't help at the nail bed & can lead to bone infection .....
Camping since May 2013 .... FL & GA only so far .... loving it!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #8
Smile Thought about small set of stairs?

We have 2 small breed dogs and they just can't climb the tt stairs so I built them some cedar stairs into the trailer and they fit nicely in one of our ward boxes. Actually my wife and I kind of like them too!!!!!!
Unclebuck1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
These things happen. Don't beat yourself up. I got carpet covers at Walmart pretty cheap.
wrottdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
I will be purchasing carpet covers for our steps. We have 3 small dogs and one has always been hesitant about the stairs. Thanks for he heads up. ��

maddiesmom06 is offline   Reply With Quote