Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM   #21

Put the dog only where humans would ride safely not in a tag along or 5er. My girl is a chocolate lab she rides between the seats now,use to be in back floor board. Ford F-150 has huge floor board that could accomadate people with dog in floor board.

Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #22
Originally Posted by oldsmasma View Post
When we had a pick up it was a 4 door and the dogs wore harnesses that tethered into the seat belts. If guests didn't want to ride with the dogs they wouldn't be guests.

Our dog(s) have always been part of the family and family always comes before guests. They are most often less bother than a guest as well. Usually, they behave better as well.

2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2016 F350 diesel
Edgewater 205 EX 150 Yamaha
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:37 PM   #23
Do NOT even think about putting the dog in an open truck bed. Illegal in many states.
Curlydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #24
we have a 30lb puggle and he sits in the back seat of our crew cab with a harness attached to the baby seat clip in the rear of the seats Most of the time between our 2 kids . He has traveled 25,000km with us over the past 4 years and has gotten very proficient at doing his business while I fill the gas tank.. the 5 of us can be watered, have new food and snacks and the truck gassed up in 12 to 15 minutes.
Jeff from Burlington Ont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:11 PM   #25
We camp in our 5th wheeler with our Scotty and our Boxer. We went with a large truck and we keep the dogs in the back seat using sort of a hammock for the kids.

One of us stays with the dogs almost all the time and, so far, it's worked out well.
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL
2008 Dodge 3500 6.7L Diesel, Quad Cab, 4x4, dually, long bed.
Steve & Pat, "Diesel" the Boxer, and "Molly" the Scotty
Bought camper 7/14/16
9 Nights camping before I broke my leg!
swbouton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #26
Our dachshund rides in a crate in the trailer. We try to travel early in the morning before it gets hot. The temperature in the RV seems to stay cool enough for him. Our 2 cats are in the truck cab with us.
2017 Wildcat Maxx 26BHS
2016 Rockwood MiniLite 2503S (2015-2016)
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #27
We have a 16 panel collapsible kennel enclosure that we take along camping for her and it goes into the bed of the truck when traveling. When we go visting family / friends we have a foldable dog kennel she hangs out in, when needed. Our pooch is spoiled so she gets the entire back seat of the Sierra to herself.
Rick & Brian
1 Happy Camper Pup ( Mya )
2016 Salem Cruise Lite 171RBXL
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD LT 4x4 6.0 / 4:10

The best plans can be of those that happen in the spur of the moment!
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #28
Our Ford 150 has the ability to fold up the seats individually in the back. I would either opt to harness the dog in the back seat or put their crate on the floor, if worried that the back seat would fall on the dog laying on the floor. The crate would protect them from a falling seat. We live near Gainesville too and I would never put a dog in a crate in the bed of the truck. I also would not leave them in the vehicle on a warm or hot day.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 PM   #29
Site Team
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
That was my conclusion, hence the question. But, if traveling with guests who don't want a dog in their lap, what to do? We love our dog (usually) but people are more important than pets.

Most of the time we won't have guests. Most of the time we have guests they'll be our kids, who regard the dog as family. Perhaps by the time we have non-family guests the dog will be smaller.

To answer your question, it sounds like you simply have to sacrifice something. It just depends on what is more important to you. Either don't bring the dog with, don't bring guests with or don't get a p/u.

How big a need is getting a p/u? Can you get by with getting another SUV instead? How often do you travel with guests? When you figure those things out, you'll have your answer.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 04:00 PM   #30
Seats secure?

Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
A Boston is probably our replacement of choice, when the time comes. They seem to behave like miniature Boxers. (Very friendly, minimal barking.)

With seats flipped up, are the seats secure? I know the seats in the Durango are heavy. If it fell in a crash, it could amputate a foot.
Well, Chris, you gave me something to look at. Ours is a club cab with smaller split seats. I went out and gave them a good yank from the flipped up position and it takes some effort, but they can come forward into their standard position. I've had to do a few panic stops and they have never come forward. There is no latch. If they fell there would be the normal space underneath and the bottom of the seats is soft so I feel pretty good about it.

Our mailman would disagree about the minimal barking. They sit on the bay window sill and the 2 of them get each other going and basically go nuts when he walks up to the porch. Very friendly, but their owners have spoiled them rotten.

2015 Shamrock 231KSS, Oyster shell
2016 Chev Silverado LT Z71 Ext. Cab, 4x4, 5.3L V/8
Reese Straight Line WDH, 2000W Honda Gen.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
55 nights camping in 2015, 45 in 2016
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote