Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYCamper View Post
Our 20 lb Bostons ride in the back seat area. We usually flip the seats up and they sit on a blanket we spread on the floor. Other times they ride on the seats. Their harnesses are each hooked to special straps that attach to the back seatbelt clips. This allows them movement, but restricts how far they will move in event of a panic stop or crash.
Totally agree with this post. Our dog is in harness, attached to seat. Keeps her in place and if doors open, she stays put. Crate can go in the bed of truck to be used in the camper when you are gone if need be.
TreeLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
Frankly, I'd rather keep the Durango but due to a continuing series of nagging maintenance problems I conclude that it's time for a new(er) tow vehicle.

I'm not a zealot about being within capacity but the Durango is at the margin for RAWR and, by extension, tongue weight. Thinking that we might upgrade trailers by 1000-2000#, I concluded that a truck would be suitable. But there are compromises, as you point out.

Another respondent mentioned an Armada. I'll check it out but suspect the cost exceeds my budget and the RAWR won't meet my future needs.
You can also check out a 3/4 ton suburban.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #43

Quote:
Ours is a club cab with smaller split seats. I went out and gave them a good yank from the flipped up position and it takes some effort, but they can come forward into their standard position. I've had to do a few panic stops and they have never come forward. There is no latch. If they fell there would be the normal space underneath and the bottom of the seats is soft so I feel pretty good about it.
With respect to the potential for injury if the seat fell, my perspective is that of a Durango owner. Durango middle seats are hinged at the front. The seat back finds down onto the seat and the whole seat folds up against the front seat, providing egress to third seat passengers.

The seat is heavy and, to provide stability in an accident, the floor latch mechanism is big. If it fell on your toes it would hurt a lot; if it fell on your dog's toes it could amputate them.

That's why I asked. It sounds like the F150 design (and perhaps that of similar extended-cab trucks) is less risky.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:40 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
You can also check out a 3/4 ton suburban.
My brother wanted to order a new one. GM only supplies them to government contracts now. Only half tons available to the public. He bought an F250 and put a cap on it to pull his work trailer. Comparably equiped was nearly half the cost.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Back seat only. I would never put my dog ( boxer) in the bed of my truck. This is especially important in hot weather. Boxers, bulldogs and other dogs with short snouts do not handle hot humid weather as well as other dogs. Truck beds with caps are even worse.
I agree 100%. Dogs, in my professional experience as a law enforcement officer and also in my personal experience, belong in the back seat. Too much can go wrong in a mere instant with dogs in the front seat. And don't ever let your dogs ride in your lap or stick his or her head out the driver's window while you're driving. In many if not most states it is illegal anyway (as you may also find out if you do so while trying to enter a Department of Defense facility).

Dogs with "short snouts", as the poster said, have breathing difficulties, both in hot weather and while traveling in the cargo hold of airplanes (cats aren't any different).
Old 09-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #46

I don't have a photo but my girls, Maddie and Maxine ride in a laundry basket when we go anywhere. Only thing I had to put them in to travel home in when I adopted them. Zeus rides wherever he lays down at in the back seat. Had a harness seatbelt but he could and does slip out of his harness when he puts his mind to it.
Pinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
I flip the back seat up and the two girls hang out back there...plenty of room for them to sleep and not be in each others "space" so much (they are worse than human siblings sometimes, LOL!)

Nick the Navigator hangs out up front with me and his Mumma.....of course I am not sure he completely understands that Navigators shouldn't sleep while on duty!
Thats the way Jake likes to travel in the back flat floor of my F350 in the chevy he is in the back seat, he only stays home when I take the harley or corvette.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #48

Quote:
Our 20 lb Bostons ride in the back seat area. We usually flip the seats up and they sit on a blanket we spread on the floor. Other times they ride on the seats. Their harnesses are each hooked to special straps that attach to the back seatbelt clips. This allows them movement, but restricts how far they will move in event of a panic stop or crash.
Agree, harnesses that clip into the seatbelts are best.

Even inside a crate a dog will hit the front of that crate with the same force you would the steering wheel or dashboard if not buckled in

Mark
Mark29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 11:58 PM   #49
3boxerss

We dont have a back seat in our pickup and our Boxer just sits between us. He acts like our kid anyway and has his own doggie seat belt.
If its a real long trip I sit in the middle so he can have the window...If we had a backseat he would sit there and if a guest had a problem sitting back there I would just sit in the back with the dog . No biggie for me .
3boxerss is offline   Reply With Quote