Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
Hob

Winter camping with a dog

We are in a very dark RV campground. When we let out dog out for the last time at night, she sometimes has a bowel movement and doesn't tell us when she comes in. Terribly inconsiderate of her. The fact is, we wait until daylight to go on "poop patrol."

This morning, my significant other came in and announced, "frozen dog poop is pretty easy to clean up." I found that extremely amusing and thought I would pass it along as a benefit to winter camping.

Bill & Linda
Hob
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hob View Post
We are in a very dark RV campground. When we let out dog out for the last time at night, she sometimes has a bowel movement and doesn't tell us when she comes in.
Bill & Linda
Hob
Huh? Your dog doesn't go out on a leash with one of you attached to the other end?

Every campground we've stayed in has a leash rule. Where is the one you're in that doesn't? There are enough in the CGs with the rule that think their dog is special enough to be loose so I for sure want to avoid those where there are no rules.

My 2 are NEVER off their cables or their leashes. Even if it's 11pm and dark and raining... I'm on the other end of the leash making sure they don't take off after a wild critter or another loose dog, aren't run over by late arrivals and don't bother anyone else at their campsite.

But.. I suppose frozen can be easier to deal with.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Hob

She is on a 15 foot cable with a ground stake out just far enough for her to get in the door. We are in ID where they do a lot of hunting etc. We plan on being here for the entire winter and the campground is almost empty. Managers are very nice about not having to be outside with the pet as long as they are kept on a cable. We hunt for campgrounds that offer such amenities and ask before we go to the campground. We tend to be outdoor people and KOAs aren't our style.
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

ahhh!! Now I understand! So glad she's not running loose and really glad the poo is frozen for easy pickup.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

Only draw back is that it doesn't keep your hands warm on those cold nights! EEWWWW!!
baldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #6
Lottery Non-Winner

Those are called "poopsicles".

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

lol we have a jack russel and we got the 20 feet of rope hooked to a leash for him. he goes out and does his business and comes back up the steps and if we are not looking he lets out a little bark. he seems to be somewhat considerate of the neighbours lol!