Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM   #11
Site Team
We haven't tried it with our dog. The one time we did try any kind of shock collar she just shrugged it off.

But I did see a couple of little yappy things get shocked at one campground. They were on a seasonal site so I assume they've got the kind with a buried wire.

Kaadk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Originally Posted by fields View Post
I tried to use my wireless petsafe fence at our campsite once. It wouldn't work with the receiver inside the camper. I moved the receiver outside the camper and the dog would get shocked if he went inside the camper. You have to plug the receiver outside and take the dog's collar off when he wants to go in. The metal on the camper interferes with the signal.

Thanks for all the responses.
This is exactly what I was wondering.
The little thing HATES when we take her collar off. I swear she thinks of it as jewelry or something. If we take it off, she just keeps nudging at us till we put it back on her.

Thanks again

Mark B
2015 32 Foot Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2013 Chevy 3/4 Ton TV
markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #13
We have 2 dogs with an in ground system at home on all the way around the house. One of our dogs, Zoey will follow someone all the way around a big sweeping corner. Since we have 2 dogs, we needed 2 collars, buying an extra collar was just as expensive as buying a second fence system. We put the spare one in the camper, I run the wire around the camp site, put up a few white flags and rugs over the most walked area's to prevent tripping. Works great! I use a drill to spool it back on to the wire holder at the end camping trip.
Bill & Kay
Green Bay, WI
2016 FR Berkshire 38A
bb920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #14
Should work fine :)

I haven't tried it in a trailer yet, but I think it should work fine...I think the main thing to worry about isn't about whether the device will work, but whether your pup will respond to the electric shock. Most do. But you'd be surprised how resilient others are.

Houston, TX
Baggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #15
Site Team - Lou
I bought one for the camper and never used it. (Now sold)

One issue is with "issue." As most (if not all) campgrounds require a leash at all times when the pet is outside and also require cleanup immediately; letting the dog loose in the wireless enclosure will result in "loads" you can't find and leave for others to discover.

It is also unfair to the dog who will be confused about where his territory is since you can not set up the flags at every campground. A dog charging the perimeter will not know where the warning occurs and stop. This results in unnecessary shocks and can cause severe anxiety behavior.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
Actually... The wire type do not need to be buried. We had dalmatians - one could clear a 6 foot privacy fence!!! We bought the 'buried invisible fence, draped it along the top of the fence and a couple shocks and we had her trained!!! Also, if the wire had been buried at the base of the fence, she would have been 6 ft over it when she jumped!!! The good thing was that she could retrieve - or catch varmints right to the edge of the fence!!! Now we use the radio zone type fence. When the collar looses the signal - it vibrates and buzzes. The current two dogs immediately back up and go a different way... They walk the perimeter of the 'vibrate / buzz - and know where they need to stay!

BuckeyeJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote