Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYSR View Post
I am going to purchase a rockwood 8325ss camper and am between two dealers. I will be be leaving for fl in jan 2016 from chicago, il with new camper and should i need warrenty work camping world is all over the place or would an independent dealer in fl be able to take care of any warrenty work?
Raymond kalinsky
Please take it from someone who knows. The buying experience at CW might be nice but the service at camping World is beyond terrible. Expect to wait 2 months to get a simple job done under Warranty. And then...expect it not to be right. Stay away from CW!

I may be old but I'm trying, very trying.
2015 RAM 1500 - EcoDiesel
Rockwood Ultra V 2715VS
OldBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #22

Never again, CW

We have had several terrible experiences with CW. Did you know that FR will pay for warranty work with just about any dealership or RV repair shop? You may have to pay up front and be reimbursed from FR, but they do pay.

The back of a pick up in a rain storm is better than CW.
Bullrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #23

X zillion on CW. Friend bought a non-FR unit from them. He got in ONE camping trip for two weeks and then PARKED it at CW for 5 months for warranty. They are in arbortration now.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Some camping worlds will not do warranty work from other camping worlds. We bought our first tt from a camping world in NC. Sales did fine. Service left a lot to be desired. They damaged our trailer, did repairs incorrectly, set up our wdh incorrectly with some parts installed backwards, every time it went in for service I could expect a minimum of 3-4 weeks before getting it back. And then I only got it done after hassling them. There are other types of Guangzhou can look for. Look for rv warranty forever dealerships or route 66 dealerships as these are both programs that local dealers have signed up.with to bring them together nationally with other dealers service departments. You can also call some dealerships where you are headed in FLanders ask if they will service a product they didn't sell. Most will service them but will put you at the back of a long line of customers who purchased from them. Some will get you in and out quick if they know you are travelling and need to get back on the road.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:53 PM   #25

Have had only one experience with repair work at cw. I had to prepay for the part they ordered overnight. Repaired the item the next day, was pleased with job they did. Have heard stories about cw dragging their feet on warranty work as in they do not like to fool with the manufacturer paper work. With FR unit, I have had warranty work at dealer I purchased my Flaggstaff from. Took several days to get parts in from FR, on one occasion a defective door was shipped that was worse than the one on the unit. Dealer took care of it prior to me towing tt 40 miles each way. Bottom line, dealer makes the differenance on warranty work. Local cw does match their internet prices without any issues, my understanding that cw and cw internet are two different companies or divisions, therefore they are in completion with each other!
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #26

We bought from a Dealer from Hell and CW did our warranty work and did a good job.
Took another camper not under(way to old) warranty. Did good job on it too. The problem was just getting the ok to do it. Have found if you did not buy from us we won't work on it a lot.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 03:31 AM   #27

One thing to keep in mine is all CW's are not created equal. Some stores are grass root CW's built as a new stores and others are CW acquisitions of exiting smaller dealerships. There are 3 here in Mich and they are all very different with equally different service reps.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:02 AM   #28

Camping World dealers vary. The one I bought my TT from in Charleston was a joke. The guy that did my PDI set up my hitch too low, gave me the wrong instructions on how to use the sway bar and I had to tell him the tires were low on air. The hitch and sway bar fiasco caused me a lot of white knuckle moments on the way back to Orlando. They also kept me waiting for hours as this jackass tried to setup my hitch and he also charged me for a sway bar bracket that was supposed to be included. The price was great as they wanted to move the unit but there is no excuse for that bozo.

Now the good- If you live near central Fl. the Camping World in Cocoa is great. They did all my warranty work and even did a couple things I didn't ask them to do that they spotted. They have kept me waiting a few extra days but it's understandable as their service dept. is always jam packed with work.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #29

Not sure why anyone would ever purchase a camper or camping supplies from CW. Their prices are awful and you can do better buying elsewhere.

I was in the market to purchase a used camper and looked at many campers that were "serviced/maintained" at camping world. Quite a few campers had the $1,200 roof reseal service done on them and in each instance, less than a full tube of Dicor was used to reseal the roof with many missed areas...a travesty. I resealed my roof 3 weeks ago and it took me about 7 hours on the roof to do it correctly. Each of the $1,200 roof reseal CW services look like it took 20 minutes if even that.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 12:32 PM   #30

Forest River dealer or not?

Since we want to buy a new Forester, I went in to CW in Coburg (Eugene) Oregon, to get info, since they are supposedly a Forester dealer. They had no units in stock to look at, no brochures, and the salesman tried to steer me to another brand. He would not directly answer whether they were even still a dealer. When we do buy, it won't be from CW even if they are a dealer. What's up with them anyway....anyone know?
Toad: 2014 Honda CR-V AWD
GO DUCKS !!
Jim & Diana (and 3 cats)
JimOneil43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:53 PM   #31

Makes me wonder why anyone fulltimes.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #32

A bit long.. but here you go.
So here is a positive on CW. A little back ground. We bought our first camper in fall of 2009. CW didn't have what we wanted, but met an awesome sales guy at the CW Chicago (Island Lake). Jon Murphy. Very low pressure kind of guy. We only had an SUV to pull, and knew we wanted to upgrade when we got a truck. CW didn't have what we wanted so we bought elsewhere. 2 years later it was time for upgrade. We went to all of the shows and did a lot of homework. It seemed CW prices were always very high. We ended up buying a new rig (which CW did sell) from a place in Indiana. FYI, CW did do our warranty work on this one. Then this summer we upgraded again to a VIBE 272. It was time for our 4 year old to have a bed and not sleep on the couch. So here we go. Here is where CW has been awesome. During the negotiations, they were originally very high on the price. I told them they were way out of line and I can get it for thousands less. I told him we were about to buy from a place in Detroit. We are campers, we like to travel. Make the drive to Detroit, and then make it a camping trip on the way home. He said bring me the offers you are getting. I gave him 5 offers I had. They matched the LOWEST one. We were going to order it without the outdoor kitchen, and I asked, since the other ones included the kitchen in the price, is that something we can work on. He said yes, and was about to check to see if they can get some more money off. I told him, wait. I was happy with the price, but I wanted them to swap out the fan in the in the bathroom with a fantastic fan, install a black tank flush, and then if I purchased the SeeLevel II tank monitor system, have them install that too since they have to drop the underbelly to do the tank flush. Without batting an eye, he said DONE. Shook on it and wrote those things up with the order form. FYI, I asked CW about cost to install the SeeLevel on my previous camper, and they quoted me $600. So that was a nice savings. Last piece was that my old camper had 30# propane tanks, the new one only had 20#. I said I wanted to keep my battery (brand new Trojan this spring) and my 30# tanks. He said no problem. They still even threw in a new battery. So now I have 2. Yay for me. .. The new rig was then ordered up. It keeps going. A few weeks later, I went to buy some stuff at the store. (I always price compare web prices, and Amazon. Sometimes Amazon is cheaper, and sometimes CW is cheaper. I only live about 15 minutes from CW) CW always will price match their own web deals. Never an issue. Anyways, I go in there. They just switched to fall hours, So I was in there about 5 min. before closing. I pick up the stuff I wanted. About $100 worth of stuff. When I go to check out, no one was there. Long story short, the counter girls all went home.. and the Sales manager came out, said it was not my fault they left.. and gave me everything in my cart for FREE because no one that was there knew how to operate the cash registers!! Now that is good customer service. Finally the camper comes in. It came with the outdoor kitchen that we didn’t order. He said you can keep it, no charge, or we can remove it. We opted to leave it in. I bet other dealers would have tried to get me to pay for it or ripped it out if I declined to pay for the option. He even said, I would keep it if I were you. Try it. If after using it, you don’t like, we can take it out, but it is yours now if you want it. FR did not do the best job putting this rig together. Long list of things to be fixed and some MAJOR items.. CW is working on these things now. The night before we were going to take it out on our first trip, I had it parked in my driveway. I went outside and the CO detector was going off.. I couldn't reset it, so I sent an email to the service manager who I was dealing with regarding the other issues it came with... I told him we were planning on leaving around noon the next day, and we can't camp with that thing going off. He replied back, that he contacted a tech to come in early the next day and asked if I could drop it off that night, so they could work on it first thing. Which I did. They fixed the issue that morning, and we were on our way on our first trip. Once again. Great Customer Service. I will now always give CW first shot at earning my business, and I will Always deal with Jon over there! The one thing you have to make sure of, is getting the right guy to fix your rig. The first go around on the PDI was one guy. Didn't install the SeeLevel right, butchered the underbelly, which is now being replaced because my sales guy, Jon, has my best interesting in mind and said that was not acceptable, and this guy didn't find a black tank leak that I discovered on my first trip. I now have Tyler working on it, and he is a master tech there. While it was being fixed, they re-did the SeeLevel, fixed the tank leak, and I said I wanted to visually see the completed repairs and no leaks before the underneath was sealed up. Oh during the PDI the Fresh tank fell out of the camper. So I wanted to make sure there were NO leaks in any tank. They had no Problems with that. I have visually inspected the tanks, filled beyond full, no leaks, inspected that the SeeLevel is working properly. Everything looked good. They filled the tanks beyond full to ensure there are no leaks anywhere in the system, and let them sit there for 3 hours before they called me to come look… They wanted to make sure it would perform properly and make sure I was happy with the progress. Customer Service will only be as good as the people providing it, and generally doesn't have anything to do with the company!! Once I had the right people aligned with me! It has been a great experience. Jon in Sales, Les with Sales management, Mark in Service, Ray the Service Manager and the Tech Tyler! With all of the issues that my rig came with from FR, they have seemed to generally care about me as not only a customer, but a person as well, and are doing everything in their powers to get my rig right and to make me 100% satisfied with our purchase! In my case. Well done Camping World - Chicago.
southpaw821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #33

Anyone buying from CW is asking for trouble. Will never go there again
jertourrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #34

I buy on price and not service. I have no illusions about there actually being a viable warranty on a new camper.

With that said, I would never buy at Camping World. They are overpriced and the one in Fountain, CO has the worst customer service (in the camper sales department) I have ever experienced.

I only shop at CW if I need an item for an upcoming camping trip and can't get it quick enough from an online Vendor.

I cringe when I see people buying new campers there. I can easily save 8-10k of a camper's price by buying online and picking it up myself.

Camping World: Wal-mart customer service at Macy's prices.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #35

Skyliner... that is what I always thought, until CW matched the lowest price I found online. I am in the Chicago area and was within hours of making a deal on a rig in Detroit and then CW shocked me with a lowest price match.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #36

Southpaw,
I"m glad to hear that they matched price. The one near where I live won't. Heck, you can't even get a salesman to talk to you. I typically don't buy any large ticket items in Colorado. Everything from Trucks, RVs, ATVs, UTVS, snowmobiles are overpriced here. I've bought 2 new trucks the past 2 years and each one was out state, one from OK and the last one from IA.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #37

Skyliner.. don't blame then. I live only.about 15 minutes from CW.. so I am in there a decent amount.. it is about 50/50 that CW or Amazon has the lower price on an item. They also have several free RV shows near me a year... so I have actually.
built a really good relationship with a particular salesman. I think that helped a lot . Now we just need spring to arrive..
Old 01-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #38

CW has been great to me. Sean, the internet mgr at Myrtle Beach, is no pressure and has become a friend during the 2 purchases he has helped me with. CW is a 1st class operation in Myrtle Beach. The GM at the Asheville NC location is a fantastic lady too. It is nice to know almost everywhere I go there is a CW near.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #39

I have been going to CW in Nashville for a year now. The staff are always very helpful. The service dept front guys are very knowledgeable. The service dept is always booked up. There are so many RV'S now that getting quick service anywhere is not going to happen. Just trying to get a good camp site is an adventure in planning and stealth. Keep a good attitude about all of it and enjoy your RV.
ccsvolsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper