Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Campers Inn; Kingston, NH

My wife and I recently purchased an XLR 24HFS toy hauler from Campers Inn in Kingston, NH. We dealt with a salesman by the name of Rick. We have nothing but great things to say about both the dealership and Rick. I'll try to break out all of the great things so this doesn't become a long winded paragraph.

We drove 4 hours from Albany, NY to view a 2014 XLR 24HFS. We had originally found it online, gave Rick a call to verify it was still there, and went up there on a Saturday afternoon / evening. Rick was very laid back and not your typical pushy salesman. He originally started going through pretty much all of the aspects of the trailer but soon learned that I was already very knowledgeable on the features thanks to hours upon hours of research on that model and that particular trailer. So once he caught on, he basically just stood back while we looked at everything and had honest answers to any questions we had.

Rick showed a true genuine concern over our towing capabilities and genuinely wanted to make sure that we weren't purchasing a trailer that would end up being more than we could safely tow. My wife and I own a 2013 VW Touareg which to anyone who doesn't know the capabilities of the vehicle, would definitely be questioning the setup. Rick went over all of the different weight capacities, capabilities, etc. with us to make sure that we would be safe while towing.

Once we were happy with everything, we went inside to talk numbers... which I typically hate because I am not a great negotiator... especially when it's something I want... . I brought some comparable offers from other dealers (mainly RV wholesalers) which gave us a starting point. We ended up settling at around 30% off of retail and they agreed to throw in the weight distribution hitch with sway control... which was a necessity to ensure safe towing mainly due to the short wheelbase of the VW. We already had our own financing so we put a deposit down to hold the TT and Rick gave us everything we would need for the bank and we were on our way home. By the time we were done, we were approximately 1 hour past their closing time but Rick had no problem staying late to help us and never once rushed us in any way.

We originally planned to pick it up that following Saturday. However, we received a call on Thursday that during the initial prep and inspection, a small crack was found on the top of the gray water tank and that a new tank was ordered, but would not be there in time to pick it up on Saturday. I was perfectly OK with this because a) it showed that they were truly doing a thorough prep / inspection and b) they didn't just slap some epoxy on it (which likely would have lasted quite a few years and I probably never would have ever found out about the crack). I was perfectly happy waiting.

On the following Wednesday we received a call from Rick that there was a delay with the tank and it would not be ready by that coming Saturday (last weekend). Before I could even say anything, he said that they had received a 2015 24HFS in that week and that if we needed the trailer, they would be willing to take the gray tank out of the 2015 and put it into our 2014. We had already booked a campsite local to the dealer for the 'shakedown run' so we preferred to maintain the Saturday pick-up. Rick was perfectly OK with it and said they would go ahead with the swap. Then on Friday we received a voicemail from Rick stating that they had to talk to me regarding the 2015. Me being the 'negative Nancy', I immediately started thinking it was going to be a bait and switch, and that we were going to be trying to up-sell me to the 2015 which would end up causing a delay (due to financing) and that I once again wouldn't be picking it up that Saturday. However, to my pleasant surprise, Rick said that after reviewing the costs associated with switching the tanks, it was financially smarter for them to just give me the 2015 at the price negotiated for the 2014. He said that there would be no extra cost on my end. He also said that I could just bring the same check (made out for the 2014) and that they would take care of everything with the bank after we picked it up. All I had to do was to change the VIN with my insurance to make sure we would be covered for the trip home.

We made the 4 hour trip on Saturday and upon arriving were immediately brought out to the trailer for the final inspection and the WDH installation. While one service guy installed the main components of the hitch, another walked through the entire trailer with us step by step; making sure that we knew everything about the trailer. We found a couple minor things (a couple screws still loose, etc), but other than that it was perfect. Once the WDH was installed, both service guys thoroughly went over how to properly set up the WDH for each trip. I already had a basic understanding, but they made it extremely easy for me. Once the final paperwork was done, we were on our way. We spent the night at a campground local to the dealership (just outside Hampton Beach) and everything went great. We even had 3 amazing 'neighbors' that helped me back it in (a 24' TT is a lot different than your typical 16' flat bed trailer), get it set up, and pretty much helped me with any pointers they could give me. It was plain awesome.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give those guys all the credit they deserved. I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say about Campers Inn in Kingston, NH. A huge thank you to Rick, Kris, and the 2 service guys that helped us out (can't remember their names).
klarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:08 PM   #2

Sounds like they did right by you. Congratulations on the RV, Happy Camping and

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:55 AM   #3

Campers Inn; Kingston, NH

I just went to camper inn in kingston,NH yesterday and was dealing with Rick also he is the nicest guy to deal with no pressure salesman and really knows his stuff. I just ordered a roo 23ss can't wait to get it!
Jopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #4

Glad it worked out for you. I considered them also but I found that they are not a dealer that handles a lot of pop ups. They did not have any units to view so I just figured I would order it from a place in Albany, NY.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #5

the service department I've been dealing with - must think people are down right stupid . . just picked up my """NEW"""" coach last Thursday for the 3rd time . . purchase the Sierra 360PDEK in mid April - been trying to get them to complete the punch list is like dealing with teenage that knows it all . . *shaking head*~ . . now the livingroom A/C is not running
tried tell me that the power awning don't close flush that they are made that way . . .tried to tell me that the livingroom/dinette table area slide was suppose to stick out from the rest of the slide -
- now here I am 3 days away from a camping trip -
- I am hoping to find another FR dealer in the area that will check the A/C -- I can deal with tie strapping the awning closed and the other little nit-picking things that wasn't done again this last time around - until after the trip --
but - good gracious it is getting ridiculous - especially since we've only been out 1 time with the new RV .. the service department at the dealership where we purchased the 5th wheel - I'm sure they are tired of seeing me . . sure hope they ''don't'' send me a survey for service after the sale . . cuz' it ain't good *ugh*~
2Camprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Camprs View Post
the service department I've been dealing with - must think people are down right stupid . . just picked up my """NEW"""" coach last Thursday for the 3rd time . . purchase the Sierra 360PDEK in mid April - been trying to get them to complete the punch list is like dealing with teenage that knows it all . . *shaking head*~ . . now the livingroom A/C is not running
tried tell me that the power awning don't close flush that they are made that way . . .tried to tell me that the livingroom/dinette table area slide was suppose to stick out from the rest of the slide -
- now here I am 3 days away from a camping trip -
- I am hoping to find another FR dealer in the area that will check the A/C -- I can deal with tie strapping the awning closed and the other little nit-picking things that wasn't done again this last time around - until after the trip --
but - good gracious it is getting ridiculous - especially since we've only been out 1 time with the new RV .. the service department at the dealership where we purchased the 5th wheel - I'm sure they are tired of seeing me . . sure hope they ''don't'' send me a survey for service after the sale . . cuz' it ain't good *ugh*~
You had these issues with the Campers Inn in Kingston, NH? The only interaction I had with the service department was during the walk through and installation of the weight distribution hitch. The 2 service guys I talked to while they did the work had great personalities. They answered all of my questions... even the noob questions that would make an experienced RV'er annoyed to answer... lol. I have a few minor items that I have to get checked out (nothing dealer related, all Forester River mishaps / misses) so we'll see how that goes... if they even have me bring it there; they may just have me bring it to a local FR dealer so I don't have to bring it 3 hours for a few quick items.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #7

no no. . dealing with Campers Inn - Jax'ville Florida dealer/service department -- I no longer feel excited having a new RV -- I don't know if Campers Inn kept the same service people when they purchased Rivers RV earlier this year . . . good gosh - if they were anymore layed back about getting things done they would fall out of their chairs -
2Camprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #8

I'm glad someone had a good experience at the Kingston store. I looked at a Rockwood Fifth wheel there, model 8265ws. They were unwilling to negotiate with me. They didn't want to give me a fair trade on my Roo23ss. Went to Flagg Rv who doesent even carry Rockwood Fifth wheels and he gave an awesome deal, and we ordered it with them. They went out of there way to make the deal. Campers inn lost a potential customer.
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #9

Glad you were able to find a rig at Flagg RV. They did not have many pop ups when I went to visit. I did look at a roo 23 ikss they had there.

Enjoy your new unit.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #10

BTW. Did you inquire at Albany RV for units? They are comparable to rvwholesalers and they are a local dealer for you in case you needed repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarowe View Post
My wife and I recently purchased an XLR 24HFS toy hauler from Campers Inn in Kingston, NH. We dealt with a salesman by the name of Rick. We have nothing but great things to say about both the dealership and Rick. I'll try to break out all of the great things so this doesn't become a long winded paragraph.

We drove 4 hours from Albany, NY to view a 2014 XLR 24HFS. We had originally found it online, gave Rick a call to verify it was still there, and went up there on a Saturday afternoon / evening. Rick was very laid back and not your typical pushy salesman. He originally started going through pretty much all of the aspects of the trailer but soon learned that I was already very knowledgeable on the features thanks to hours upon hours of research on that model and that particular trailer. So once he caught on, he basically just stood back while we looked at everything and had honest answers to any questions we had.

Rick showed a true genuine concern over our towing capabilities and genuinely wanted to make sure that we weren't purchasing a trailer that would end up being more than we could safely tow. My wife and I own a 2013 VW Touareg which to anyone who doesn't know the capabilities of the vehicle, would definitely be questioning the setup. Rick went over all of the different weight capacities, capabilities, etc. with us to make sure that we would be safe while towing.

Once we were happy with everything, we went inside to talk numbers... which I typically hate because I am not a great negotiator... especially when it's something I want... . I brought some comparable offers from other dealers (mainly RV wholesalers) which gave us a starting point. We ended up settling at around 30% off of retail and they agreed to throw in the weight distribution hitch with sway control... which was a necessity to ensure safe towing mainly due to the short wheelbase of the VW. We already had our own financing so we put a deposit down to hold the TT and Rick gave us everything we would need for the bank and we were on our way home. By the time we were done, we were approximately 1 hour past their closing time but Rick had no problem staying late to help us and never once rushed us in any way.

We originally planned to pick it up that following Saturday. However, we received a call on Thursday that during the initial prep and inspection, a small crack was found on the top of the gray water tank and that a new tank was ordered, but would not be there in time to pick it up on Saturday. I was perfectly OK with this because a) it showed that they were truly doing a thorough prep / inspection and b) they didn't just slap some epoxy on it (which likely would have lasted quite a few years and I probably never would have ever found out about the crack). I was perfectly happy waiting.

On the following Wednesday we received a call from Rick that there was a delay with the tank and it would not be ready by that coming Saturday (last weekend). Before I could even say anything, he said that they had received a 2015 24HFS in that week and that if we needed the trailer, they would be willing to take the gray tank out of the 2015 and put it into our 2014. We had already booked a campsite local to the dealer for the 'shakedown run' so we preferred to maintain the Saturday pick-up. Rick was perfectly OK with it and said they would go ahead with the swap. Then on Friday we received a voicemail from Rick stating that they had to talk to me regarding the 2015. Me being the 'negative Nancy', I immediately started thinking it was going to be a bait and switch, and that we were going to be trying to up-sell me to the 2015 which would end up causing a delay (due to financing) and that I once again wouldn't be picking it up that Saturday. However, to my pleasant surprise, Rick said that after reviewing the costs associated with switching the tanks, it was financially smarter for them to just give me the 2015 at the price negotiated for the 2014. He said that there would be no extra cost on my end. He also said that I could just bring the same check (made out for the 2014) and that they would take care of everything with the bank after we picked it up. All I had to do was to change the VIN with my insurance to make sure we would be covered for the trip home.

We made the 4 hour trip on Saturday and upon arriving were immediately brought out to the trailer for the final inspection and the WDH installation. While one service guy installed the main components of the hitch, another walked through the entire trailer with us step by step; making sure that we knew everything about the trailer. We found a couple minor things (a couple screws still loose, etc), but other than that it was perfect. Once the WDH was installed, both service guys thoroughly went over how to properly set up the WDH for each trip. I already had a basic understanding, but they made it extremely easy for me. Once the final paperwork was done, we were on our way. We spent the night at a campground local to the dealership (just outside Hampton Beach) and everything went great. We even had 3 amazing 'neighbors' that helped me back it in (a 24' TT is a lot different than your typical 16' flat bed trailer), get it set up, and pretty much helped me with any pointers they could give me. It was plain awesome.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give those guys all the credit they deserved. I honestly don't have a single bad thing to say about Campers Inn in Kingston, NH. A huge thank you to Rick, Kris, and the 2 service guys that helped us out (can't remember their names).

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmaker View Post
Glad you were able to find a rig at Flagg RV. They did not have many pop ups when I went to visit. I did look at a roo 23 ikss they had there.

Enjoy your new unit.

Vin.

The 23ikss is a nice trailer. I was tempted to get that versus the small 5th wheel but we were looking at less set up time.

Had a lot of fun with my Roo 23ss, seven years with no problems. Good luck with your search.
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

We tried Albany RV and were very displeased with their sales. I went there to look at a couple different ones and they had no small toy hauler tow behinds on the lot. As I was about to walk out, they just so happened to have one that was 'set aside' for one of their 3 dealerships. They refused to bring it to the store for me to look at unless I put a deposit down which was fine. I put the deposit down and left. Then all of a sudden they had to run my credit to make sure I would be approved. After waiting a week or so with no word, we finally heard that I was only approved for a 5 year loan at something like 18% interest. I told them I would get direct approval from my bank and to keep the trailer on the way. Apparently it was never sent and they refused to bring it to where I could look at it without signing the papers first. I told them no way and to just refund my deposit and I would go elsewhere. Then they insisted on calling me multiple times a day after I told them I was no longer interested. It then took almost a month to get my deposit back. The 4 hour drive was well worth the help we received.

There are a few minor warranty items I need taken care of now that the season is almost over. I called them and they said that I was more than welcome to bring the trailer there for the service or they highly recommended Alpin Haus which is a lot closer. I called Alpin Haus and so far they seem to be extremely helpful. I will be dropping it off in the next week or so (using it one last time this weekend then calling to schedule when they want me to drop it off). Alpin Haus was so helpful even without me purchasing it that I am going to pay them to winterize it even though I know it's something I could easily handle myself. But I don't mind throwing some business their way for helping me out.

Tags
camper