Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 08:30 AM   #1

Camping World Cedar Falls IA

I decided it was time to replace our camper. Searched the internet for units that were what our tv could handle and the best deals I could find price wise were at Camping World. I made an inquiry thru the website for the store in Cedar Falls Iowa. I was interested in two units the JAYCO Flight SLX 145RB and the Rockwood GeoPro 14FK.

Got a call from sales the next day. Nice sounding guy. Talked to him about the units, features etc. Told him I would get back to him. Then the calls started. Every other day. I'm not sure when we can stop by. Will call before we come. Still the calls come.

My wife and I decided that we ready to deal. Wanted to get our ducks in a row so once we physically look the units over we would be prepared to buy on the spot.

Did my due diligence and researched for all the reliable source info I could find as far as figuring out just exactly what my tv limitations were and how each of the trailers would fit them. I pretty much was certain that the JAYCO was out of the running but thought I would ask about it anyway.

Called the sales rep up. Tell him that I really like both units but the JAYCO listed dry weight (2350 lbs) is really close to the limits of what my Dodge Journey can pull and the GeoPro dry tongue weight is about 80 pounds over my tv limit. No problem he says. My Dodge Journey can pull 3500 pounds. No, I reply, it can't. The max towing is 2500. "Oh no...no..you are wrong" he says. "I have it right here it can tow 3500." No. YOU are wrong. My owners manual says 2500, the Dodge website says 2500. His response "Well, they must have just changed that." Well, actually, my Journey is a 2013 model and that spec was changed in the 2012 year from 3500 to 2500. "Well, we have sold lots of them to people with Journeys and they have had no problems." Wow.

OK. I can do the GeoPro as far as trailer weight goes (2022 lbs) but there seems to be no way to get around the tongue weight issue. Once I load some food and other supplies in it I can see the tongue weight shooting up to 50% or more above my tv rating. "Oh, that's an easy fix. We will just add a WDH to it. That will take all that extra tongue weight off your tv. We do that all the time" Huh? You can make weight disappear? So he puts me on hold for a few minutes. He comes back on the line. "Talked to my service manager. The WDH will increase the amount of tongue weight your tv can handle so it will be ok." Hmm..

Alright. Let's talk turkey. I flat out asked him "OK, I see your price listed is if I use your financing options. What would be my cash out the door price on them?" His response was that it would be the list price plus fees. REALLY?? I come in with thousands in cash, plop it on your desk top and you will give me no discount? No. That is our policy.

Assuming I agree to buy the Geo Pro, using your financing, what would by my total. List price was about $18,500 and their sale price $13,900. He starts throwing all sorts of numbers around. Doc fees, prep charges, shipping fees ($1100 for shipping since they had to get the unit I wanted from a location about 150 mile away.) Whoa! Pretty soon he has tacked on nearly $3000 in fees and such. Now we are back up to $17,000 for it. Plus the financing is for 120 months at 6.99%. I repeat the figures back to him. Yep, they are correct.

Our conversation circled back around to the tongue weight issue. Again he assured me that I would be safe towing it. In my mind I am seeing it increasing with every pound of cargo I put in the trailer. Our conversation came to an abrupt end when I asked him if they would be willing to put it in writing that in their opinion I could safely tow a vehicle that was over the specs for my tv and CW would assume responsibility for damages done to it or my person in doing so.

Guess he figured I was some sort of an ass but I see it as making sure my ass is covered!
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Well, typical dealer BS.

You're going to be very limited in trailer choices.
What's the Dodge's payload capacity?

With a 2500lb towing capacity, I don't see many options other than a popup or A-frame.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Not all dealers are like that, I like my dealer. Sounds like he was not wanting to earn your business at all. What you get now for sales service can follow you to repair and other service issues at a dealer. I get great service, cant say the same for some family and friends of ours who bought from other dealers then I just cause they didn't have the camper they wanted at the time they needed one. All I can say is try to find that same camper if you like it and shop around for both price and feel around for what kind of service you will get after the sale. Any dealer can sell you a camper, how will they take care of you after they made the $$$
scottnlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

Have found a camper and a dealer

We have lowered our expectations. Have purchased a Flagstaff 206LTD from a dealer here in town. We had a good laugh when I told them of my adventures with CW.

New dealer honest. Agreed with what I said about weights etc. Said they would not sell anything that was not right for the tv. Saw them turn a sale down when the potential customer took them out to show them the tv that was going to be used. Heard them explain in plain language the wherefores and whys he couldn't haul it.

Not saying our experience with them was all hearts and flowers but 99% of my issues were not faults with them or the way they do business but rather Forest Rivers. Will explain in a future review of them.

Anyway, countdown to the new camper is one week. I'm ready to hit the road and swat a bunch of mosquitoes!!!
Iowa Frogfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #5

Good original post. Welcome to CW World
True all dealers are not like that however many are
Just think of the buyers not as educated and prepared as you. Most dealers are interested in selling that’s it Many salesmen not RV knowledgeable but commission wise. Sounds negative but true. Had one who sold concrete now RVs. Interesting conversation
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #6

Camping World = Con World.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

That's why they call it camping world the prices they get are out of this world
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:03 PM   #8
NH Maple Maker

My daughter and son in law bought a TT at our local CW and what a mistake that was. The unit they purchased had more than a few problems and CW's service department really dropped the ball as far as getting it fixed. On the bright side my son in law didn't have to pay for storage over the winter because it sat in CW's lot waiting to be fixed all winter.

Their experience was so bad that I went to an independent dealer 45 miles further away when I bought my TT. My dealer made sure that my TV could tow the TT before they would even talk price. The TT had some minor issues that needed to be taken care of and they stepped to the plate and took care of everything in a reasonable amount of time. I would buy from my dealer again but I'm positive that my daughter and son in law won't buy from CW again.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #9

You should have watched this video before you called CW. It's been on other threads here, but I'll re-post it:

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #10

that was was kevin Frazier, of Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, Iowa in the video, about 150 miles from cedar falls
we have bought one of our units from them very nice to deal with

Stop worrying about the potholes in the road and enjoy the journey
muddyrode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping