Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #1

Info on Camping World Myrtle Beach SC

Looking at a RV at Camping World Dick Ponds Road in Myrtle Beach SC. I知 aware of the bad rep that Camping Worlds have. I知 not looking into the finance game with them nor will I get Good Sams from them.

Just checking to see if anyone has dealt with them at all, good or bad.

Thanks
Ed
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #2

I'm sure that on any given day, you can get either a good deal or a bad deal from them. But I am certain you will hear from the CW haters

If you just use them to buy your RV from, and then get any warranty work done at an independent, it doesn't matter where you buy it from. The deal you negotiate with them is all that matters.

We buy our RVs from the place with the best deal, then never see them again.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

We traded our first camper in to them for our current camper. The experience wasnt the greatest, but it is our only trade in experience and its also our only camping world experience, so I dont know if it was good, bad, normal, odd?

The issues that we were annoyed about were that on our trade in, they docked us $1,000 for a new awning. First, the awning was in perfect working condition, and there is absolutely no way they replaced it, just a loophole to pull more money out of us. The issue was a piece of awning tape (for leaks) that I had put on a few years prior. The "leak" was that when the awning was installed at the factory, a little trickle of water would occasionally come down by the door. So it had not been installed correctly. Put a piece of tape where half the tape was on the roof and the other half was on the awning, preventing water from finding its way through that little gap. Stopped the leak, couldnt be seen from the ground, no problem. Learned the lesson, dont put any tape up there.

Second issue we had, was the entire trade process. We had a scheduled appointment at 2. Got there at 2. Then waited 45 minutes for them to bring the trailer back for their inspection (where they found the awning issue). If we have a 2 appointment, I expect them to bring the trailer back and have techs ready for us at 2. So another 90 minutes for the inspection process. Finally they finish the inspection, we complete the documentation, they bring it back to the front, and set it side by side with the new trailer to transfer out gear. Thats when we noticed the slide out awning/slide topper was all torn up on the new trailer. So it took another 90 minutes for them to find the guy to fix it, and for him to actually get it replaced. So now its 6:00. We begin swapping out our gear (we wanted to start while he was fixing the awning, but since he was on the roof and everything, they didnt want us doing the swap and going in and out, as the trailer would rock side to side) and for the most part just putting the stuff anywhere and everywhere in the new camper, so we could attempt to get to the campground while it was still sort of daylight. That took longer than we thought. By the time we got the stuff transferred and the trailer hooked up, we were the only ones there, literally. Every one but the janitorial staff had left for the night. Good thing we didnt have any issue that needed to get taken care of. Of all things with that experience, that was the single weirdest part of the entire process. The entire group of people at the dealership cared so little that they just lef tus in the parking, in the dark, transferring gear. Especially since we wasted about 3 hours because they didnt seem to have been prepared for us, they didnt find the issue with the slide awning/topper, etc. I actually think they were hoping we'd just not see it. But anyways, that was my Camping World of Myrtle Beach experience. We were fine with everything right up until everyone went home for the night and left us in the parking lot alone, lol, that was just weird

Old 02-18-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Have not dealt with them other than some store purchases, but their local reputation is pretty good. There are lots of bad, and very bad, CW's. Myrtle Beach is not one of them.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #5

I have heard more good than bad about that camping world, we have not bought an RV from them. Have bought other things.

Did you look up the road in North Myrtle Beach - actually in Longs SC at 007 RV Outlet USA on Rt 9 ??? that is where we purchased our last camper.

https://www.rv007.com/

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

When we bought out trailer, we looked for the best price - not the closest dealer. Here's what we did.

I looked around via the internet to decide which brand/model we wanted. I then searched online and found the best price at rvdirect.com ( https://www.rvdirect.com/ ). To buy from them, I would have to pick it up at their Albany, NY facility. If I did this, I would be paying for the transportation from Elkhart, IN to NY so I looked for a dealer in the Elkhart, IN area. Called them, they beat rvdirect's price. The drive from our house in SC was @ the same to either dealer. Saved @ 20-25% on the price when all was said and done vs buying locally. After pick-up combined this with a 3 week trip back home.
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:49 PM   #7

Why bother with Camping World when there are so many local dealers that can give you the same or better deal without all the hoopla and hidden charges? Why deal with these people if you have to watch their every move? It makes no sense!
rbarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Nice salesperson we dealt with. We had emailed back and forth on a unit. Flew over for the day to take a look and decide. Then your initial salesmen sort of runs in and out and some new talent comes in to start the beat down. They towed trade in to inspect, (which was less than a year old, purchased in another state from other dealer). They gave us a trade in amount in the week before. We had put second battery in when we purchased.. Then when we show up and start the dealing to close, Ofcourse they had to inspect the trade. Anything they seem to give up, add in as a perk all evaporates when they start beating you up and down on your trade. Our owning wasn't original... we replaced the POS bag awning that popups come with and put on a very nicely installed Carefree Awning. I'd rather shove an RV over the cliff than have and use a bag awning!
Then they didn't like the tell tale screw holes that were smoothly patched and paint near match where the bag awning pole rest were removed. In each of the dinette and other storage spaces I installed the chrome gliding shelf that pulls out. This wasn't standard so that was a detractor. Every nit picking BS item they could come in with they did. My wife then got involved more and let them have it. She even told me to go pack it up and hook it back up to the truck! They started saying we will include this and this on your new unit. But we still got abused and felt violated. For all the discounts, deals, thrown in stuff... they make it all back on the upsells, beat down on trade allowance. I'm not putting CW up against any other dealer because they all run in the same race and from same play book. Like you I'm hoping to find the perfect dealer.
My walk through was very thorough and by a guy that had worked at the manf plant so he told be what was behind every wall. Video is the best way to remember what was said and what wasn't explained. I find you have to be willing to shop around, willing to travel to pick up or take trade and then pick up. The price difference, savings and services vary wildly. We have seen $50,000 difference the same exact model and options on a Fifth Wheel... just different parts of the adjoining states and regions. Ugh I hate shopping.
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

The short and sweet answer.....CAMPING WORLD SUCKS, RUN TO NOT LOOK BACK.
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanmcnabb View Post
The short and sweet answer.....CAMPING WORLD SUCKS, RUN TO NOT LOOK BACK.
Nice...
Old 02-18-2019, 03:26 PM   #11

That seems to be the same issue we are having, we are out of state. Don稚 want them to try and beat me down on the trade in which I know they will do knowing I won稚 drive 14hrs back home, or so they think. The local dealers do not have what I知 looking for unfortunately. I have been going back and forth with them for two months now so I知 not being impulsive to make them think they got me. I am truly up in the air.
Edmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #12

I had a bad experience buying a used RV from camping world, l did not know what to be looking for a they knew it, a lot of trailers traded in have problems some serious, especially ones that have leaked and have hidden damage. Buying new l could not say that Camping World is worse or better, but if you buy used they will not point out any problems with a unit, after your out the door it is an "as is" sale. Before you buy study up, talk to someone that owns an RV, find out what to look for, you can always negotiate as price no matter who you buy from.
cardwellmarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:32 PM   #13

Do not reward a horrible place by buying it from them but going elsewhere to get warranty done don't even buy from them maybe one day we'll stop them from their bad practices and their illegal activities and they're lying through their teeth
Susanmcnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanmcnabb View Post
Do not reward a horrible place by buying it from them but going elsewhere to get warranty done don't even buy from them maybe one day we'll stop them from their bad practices and their illegal activities and they're lying through their teeth
Sorry you evidently had a bad experience. That can happen at any dealer, but only if you let them.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbarmhome View Post
Why bother with Camping World when there are so many local dealers that can give you the same or better deal without all the hoopla and hidden charges? Why deal with these people if you have to watch their every move? It makes no sense!
Why bother with a local when price and service at the MB location is better?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmo View Post
Looking at a RV at Camping World Dick Ponds Road in Myrtle Beach SC. I知 aware of the bad rep that Camping Worlds have. I知 not looking into the finance game with them nor will I get Good Sams from them.

Just checking to see if anyone has dealt with them at all, good or bad.

Thanks
Ed
I have bought my last 3 campers from CW in MB. Sean Kwant is who I always dealt with. Susie Davis is also good. Sean has been really great!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #17

Camper World

They are the most convenient RV supply to me have used them for small parts, Forth Worth, TX store. The last few times I have gone in they have been out of what I was looking for or no longer carried simple replacement parts. When I needed a lever jack switch they sent me to a dealer 30 miles away for Lippert part. No offer to order, just "I do not know why we do not carry that anymore". It was on my way to work so I checked for a door gas shock, 3 times in a month. Shelf Tag was there, always empty Asked an employee, and was told they were cutting their inventory down. Last time I went in, was again told they did not have the simple replacement part, go to another supply store. I will never go back, worse customer service ever. I was a manager of a retail store that did $1.2 Mil a week, I can see why these guys are going under.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 08:55 AM   #18
Noob

I had a fantastic buying experience at Camping World. I had a fantastic service experience at a different camping world.

I really wish I could be cool and fit in, but I can't. [emoji2379]
Flywithlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 AM   #19

CW in Myrtle Beach is one of the very few CW痴 that has a good reputation. I think that the CW in Colfax, NC near Greensboro is another good one. I would not take my RV to any other CW.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #20

New to this forum
our 2014 rock wood 2608ws ultra light is TOTALY AUSOM BUT ...
it dose not have toppers on either slides wair might i find a out let to buy them .

Camping World Kingston ny they ant any better up here ...
Camping World Sold Us A 2014 2608ws Rock Wood Ultra Lite With No Key's to the door's or Compartments
Camping World never told us there was no key's
That is Camping World Of Kingston Ny
thant my 2 cent's
BOO-BOO-IS-IN-CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping