Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #1

Camping World of Asheville (Hendersonville)

First of all- the sales experience was ok. I would say normal. when you want to buy, they do everything to get your money- regardless where you go. I'm from the car business, so I do not pay attention to it, except, someone steps out of his shoes to help you out.
the first hiccup we had- we was promised, we get the necessary equalizer hitch for associate discount price. I googled, found the hitch, but I also called the sales guy to get the price at camping world- he gave us a very good price and also promised us the associate rebate. we went there- and the parts guy literally laughed at us and told us, that we ain't getting it, the hitch the sales guy was asking him for, was the cheapest hitch they had and the equalizer hitch we need is not there (we talking about a 2 hour process!!!!!! just for this information). But they had the next higher rated hitch (1200# instead of 1000#). and because we had no choice, we had to buy it or leave the camper there and go back home. The best part- after we paid the outrages price (after google I found the same hitch $250 cheaper at amazon), they wanted to charge us another $100 to put it together. Well I did it by my self and a very nice tech. came out and helped me- I gave him $20 tip for that. yeah best part- after we had it together, we found that there was no hitch ball and they charged us another $25 for the ball (my wife went in and it took them another 45 minutes! to sell her a hitch ball). For me it was ridiculous that they even dared to charge us for the ball- for me, after we spent that much money, also had to buy the overpriced hitch...but ok... all we wanted was just leave, after we spent already 5 hours, just for picking up our camper. Btw- the guy who did the walk through with us, knew less about the camper than I did. but that's just one little side- topic.

But by now- If you want to know, how everything is going from "ok" to worst experience you ever can have- try camping world of Asheville in Hendersonville.
You will learn, how much you can get ignored- nobody will ever pick up a phone- after you're routed to the shop or parts department- they let it go straight to voice mail. when you made it there- that's it- even you leave 20 messages within 30 minutes- they don't even listen to it and less call you back. When you then think, you can just go there- oh- they don't like it at all. they enjoy you standing there unacknowledged as long as you don't say nothing. they sit there, eating at the desk and looking bored around, knowing you standing there and want service. when you are so brave to ask who is in charged for service- they let you know, how much of a disturbance you are and don't expect a "hello, I'm .....- how can I help you?". no- you will get a rude: you have an appointment? If you then say- if you would have picked up the phone at least once of the 20 times I called you, or would had listen to the 50 voice mails I left, you would know, why I'm here- oh- they don't like that at all!. When you then ask for service- they give you the full load of interest, they have in you as a customer. The guy sits there and ask you, what you want (not how can I help you or what is your problem). When you then stand there and tell him, what's wrong with your brand new, 2 weeks old unit, and after 1 minute explaining then just stop talking, there will be another minute go by until the guy figures out, that you ain't talking no more and look at you like a dump truck with the look of a train and say- you know what? I have a customer- and give you a wink with the hand like the emperor send their servants away and say- won't you just walk around- I'll find you when I'm done. When you then say- hey- I don't need nothing, I stay here at the desk till you're done- he will wait for another 2 minute and say: hey- I told you- walk around- I'll find you....- yeah- when you then think, you have to call for the manager, you will figure out, ain't much help either- he had to beg someone on the desk to go out with me. The person who has the very inconvenient duty to listen to your crap will let you know with every move and look they give you, how inconvenient and disturbing you are for them and write very unmotivated down, what your concern is. yeah- when you then lucky to be somewhat acknowledged leave the property with a "we'll call you", you know, you have a very strange feeling. Then for weeks...no months- your brand new, 1-time used camper sits there and every time you call for an update- if you're very very lucky and get someone on the phone, you will experience first class lying from the training book. starts from the manufacturer declines warranty (bs) to the manufacturer does not respond, the parts are backordered, the parts are not available. etc...- but what they don't know, you're already in contact with forest river and they tell you, that they don't even have a work order, all parts are available and ready to be shipped out over night, as soon as they are ordered. Forest River even gave me the number to give Camping World to call back for support. well- that didn't sit well with camping world- the answer: don't tell us how to do our job- if you don't like it, how we do business, you got to go somewhere else. uh....- after overall 8 weeks not knowing anything, if you then choose to drive the 70 miles to camping world and find your camper in the last corner in a mud hole, over and over full with bird poop and mud, of course untouched, between est. 25 other obviously untouched new campers from other customers, blow a gasket and complain about- they let you know that you're just a little black dirt under their fingernail. They even lecture you, like in principals office, how to communicate with them- well- I was 20 years in customer service and believe me- I had some very angry customers - but I got done with every single one of them and not one was unhappy and all of them stayed customer with us and even brought new business in. Of course- that's not what camping world is about. Camping world is about- rip the guys off and kick them out and if they dare to come back- let them know- we got their money already and don't need them anymore.
Well- I already had an appointment set up at another dealer and as I told the guy who told me, he is the manager, I'm not here to listen to more bs, I'm here to pick my camper up- he really kicked me out of the store- he had 3! guys guarding me to the counter to receive my key (he also told me not to say a word anymore- well- I asked very loud right in the show room- you don't want the people here not to listen, when I tell you. how sorry company you are?- yeah- he didn't liked that either). The driver who pulled my camper up also was very rude and dropped my camper about 2 feet off the jack on the ground. I just didn't wanted to spend the rest of the day in a police station- so I kept my mouth shut, hooked up and left.

Best part- I started to read reviews and yeah- there is a pattern- I was not the only one, who was treated this way at camping world and specifically at this location.

I absolutely have to point out- Great support from Forest River Vibe division. They tried to communicate with Camping world and they also understood after this communication, why we was so upset. They also hooked us up with a great and friendly local dealer. A absolutely special thanks to Forest River. That's why I love this brand.

Just let me say this: Camping world- when you read this: this is why you will never ever see another dime from me- your mail will go straight to the trash, I threw your good sam's card in the trash and burned all paperwork for your benefit crap. I'd rather pay more somewhere else and pay for my stuff than having anything more to do with you. Btw- My sister in law was in process to buy a $30K toy hauler from you- they canceled the order after they've seen what you did to us. they bought it at another local dealer. Oh- and they even got it cheaper than from you. This local dealer is now our very friendly and helpful service partner.
From my own experience: you don't know who you deal with, when you buy something- you know, how they deal with you, when there is a problem. And from this point of view- Camping World is the worst place to buy a camper.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #2

Camping World sucks for the most part. I brought a extended warranty from C/W big mistake. I'll never buy anything else from C/W. C/W sucks first time buyers in, some C/W locations are better than others

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf65 View Post
Just let me say this: Camping world- when you read this: this is why you will never ever see another dime from me- your mail will go straight to the trash, I threw your good sam's card in the trash and burned all paperwork for your benefit crap.
The probability that anyone from CW will read anything on this forum is between 0 and 1%. Sorry.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:30 PM   #4

Or care even less, once C/W gets your money it's over

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
The probability that anyone from CW will read anything on this forum is between 0 and 1%. Sorry.
Very true. I was in the Asheville CW 2 years ago and met the general manager. She was very nice and even carried one of the chairs we bought out to the truck. Along with venting here ~~ every purchaser at CW receives an email address of the CEO. It should be sent there as well.

My last 2 5ers were purchased at CW in Myrtle Beach. Service including warranty work has been great. I expect my next one will be as well. Every CW location is different.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #6
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well you found out what they really are. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:43 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
x2!

Hope you didn't expect your long post would be read by any CW employee.

If that's what you were expecting, you should've posted this on RV.net, which is owned by CW's parent company.
There a "Ask Marcus Lemonis"(CW's CEO) section there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:32 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
x2!

Hope you didn't expect your long post would be read by any CW employee.

If that's what you were expecting, you should've posted this on RV.net, which is owned by CW's parent company.
There a "Ask Marcus Lemonis"(CW's CEO) section there.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forest River Forums mobile app
X3 You would be better off as stated above and / or writing a google review of the cw dealer you purchased from. Nobody likes a google black eye.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #9
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
I wouldn't even give them that high of odds.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #10

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I mailed lemons and of course, no response. I also put reviews on every site, I found, including fb. The problem- there are hundreds of similar Posts and my conclusion is, they don't care. They are so big, that everyone looking for a tt or rv will eventually end up there, as they buy out every dealer, they can, until you have no choice anymore. And if you see, how often people buy a new rv, they can afford the practice. They don't need loyal customers to survive. They don't make money with service either, but just to say- we have service, making people more comfortable to buy, thinking they are cared of, if needed.
My intention is, to reach as much potential customers to prevent them from having the same experience. Other dealers are out there and they actually have the same selection and prices, they just don't have the same model 50 times on the lot.
Camping world is a big scam. That's just about it.
chrisf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:08 AM   #11

I've been to CW in Hendersonville and the OP is correct the sux
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

Well I can now honestly say that my hunch was correct two years ago I went to look at campers ( not new to this ) I did research on them and found plenty of mixed reviews since we live in Hendersonville I shop local to start and go from their. When at camping world looking at different models I must have looked at over 30 units when I was finally confronted by a so called sales man who after asking me what I was looking for referred me to a so called senior sales associate who's only question was what was my budget and payment range when I told him I wasn't sure yet he told me when I knew get back to him and handed me a card and walked away so I walked around for another 15 minutes looking at all different types of units and was walking back to my truck which was only one of three in the parking lot at the time since it was Wednesday around 11 o'clock the senior salesman came walking out and asked me have I made up mymind on the price range that I was willing to pay, immediately looked at him grab his card ripped it in half and told him yeah but it will not be from this dealership. Sometimes closeness doesn't equal convenience and I'm just extremely happy that we did not buy from them instead we wound up buying ours from Bob Ledford's just an hour from us and have been extremely satisfied with the way they deal with people even after the sale. Always research and take the time to compare. Although not a guarantee on a perfect experience even after the fact it just might stop a nightmare of a sale. Safe travels

Clancy vibe272bhs
timothy clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #13

A) This is why "You should buy Local" is way too general of a comment.

B) This sentiment is about 95% for CW. Yet they are huge. Have a football stadium naming rights. Have locations everywhere. Apparently word of mouth is meaningless. Serious question......how are they NOT found out?? Why are they successful and big??

C) FWIW, when visiting my daughter last winter, we went to a CW site in Marion, NC.......NOT to buy, but to put 'hands on' the unit without having to drive to Ohio (where we were going to buy). Positive, they had several. We finally got to walk in and out and compare. They were all open and available. No one bothered us. Negative, no one bothered us. LOL. We even called the office via cell and twice got folks who acted as if they had no clue how to sell one, or show us anything. They had a huge inventory, and someone is fronting that $$, but I have no clue how they stay in busines.

D) Every once in a blue moon, I find something on sale at CW online that is same model of something, but cheaper than elsewhere. Other than that, I can't imagine going in the store.

E) For new folks............the above OP is way too common of a theme, but it is not 100%. I guess I'm the luckiest buyer here........I bought in Ohio and saved $23,000 but have a local dealer that honors warranty and does good work. He's just too expensive. In fact, my unit is there right now getting a new A/C unit and a new roof, courtesy of Dometic......all because this dealer saw the 'black streaks' when it was in for other work and worked with Dometic to get a new unit and a brand new roof.

So it can be done.........there are great dealers, and there are cheap dealers, and there are even a few great AND cheap dealers. But "buy local" depends entirely on what kind of local dealer you have.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #14

We have purchased locally twice, two different FR dealers. Very happy both times. Price is always an issue, but post sale service more important to me. Current unit was purchased at Bill Plemmons RV in Raleigh. There is a good reason they have been in business since 1951. I get all my service performed there and would purchase from them again.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #15
Maron

Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
Good experience w CW

I bought our 8329 SS through Camping World in northern Illinois. While that experience was good, I had 2 other experiences that were well worth doing business with CW.
We travel between northern Illinois and Phoenix every Spring and Fall as we spend the summers as camp hosts at the Chain O Lakes State Park and winters near family in Phoenix.
First experience happened on our inaugural trip out to Arizona in 2014. The bottom of our trailer peeled back about 12' while we were on I40 just east of Albuquerque. A Good Samaritan helped with a temporary tie down so we could get back on the road. We made it to Albuquerque and stopped at the Camping World first thing the next morning. They saw our Camping World sticker on the side of the TT and put us at the front of the pack. We were back on the road in an hour with a great fix that settled the problem for good.
Second experience happened in April 2016. We were returning to Illinois across northern Arizona and blew a left rear tire on the TT that shredded and took out our electricity and propane line leaving no stove, no heat and no fridge. After a couple of days of Camping at Mesa Verde in southern Colorado, we shivered into Colorado Springs and arrived at another Camping World at 8 AM.
Again the head of maintenance saw our sticker and made room for us on his busy schedule immediately. 7 hours later with everything fixed we were back on the road to Illinois.
I look at those 2 experiences as well worth the additional costs I may have spent in buying my new unit at Camping World. Who knows how many days I would have been delayed, and additional dollar costs I would have spent waiting those days at a campground or hotel... had I not had that sticker.
The photo attached is of the head of maintenance at CW Colorado Springs. Thanks!
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:36 PM   #16

Dale

AmI the only person concerned that Camping World is buying up all the local dealers they can. Their supplies and parts are higher than Amazon, or try PPl rv supplies and look something up and compare you will be s
hocked!!!!
djreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #17

Won't use CW for anything. When Amazon came along they were done in my book. 25% to 30% higher on most everything even with their "Club" prices. If you want to pay more than anywhere else go to CW.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #18

Does it really matter that CW won't be reading OP's post? The thing is he was able to vent and let everyone know that CW is piece of crap. We are first time owners and we almost went to CW to purchase a TT. We would of been driving 132 mile to get there. We decided to check out the local dealers and that is where we bought. I have been pretty happy with their sales and service.

2015 23 BD Gray Wolf
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 TX Edition 2015 - 7 nights, 2 trips, 2016 - 2 trip, 24 nights, 2017 1 trip, 3 nights 2018 1 trip, 93 nights

mdstudey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #19

No fan of Amazon... but use PPL. CW sale prices often cannot be beat.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Go post this on the good Sam blogs. I've seem Marcus himself reply and offer help. I think it is the RV Net blog.

Tags
camping