Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #1

Camping world Pittsburgh (Apollo)

My wife and I found a travel trailer we liked on the camping world website. Last Thursday (May 30th), we brought up all our income documents to apply for loan to get the trailer. Today it's june 5th, and not one person has called us to let us know if we got approved or denied. I tried talking with the manager (Steve) over the phone. He got rude, ignorant, and hung up on me. I even tried calling corporate and all they did was point me to the manager Steve. They won't even take complaints about a store at corporate.
Alucke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #2

You won't get any sympathy on here regarding CW. They are (almost) universally hated.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #3

Take this as a sign and look elsewhere, there are plenty of other dealers that want your business. What are you looking at as some might be able to recommend another dealer.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
Site Team

If they act like that before they have your money just imagine how it will be after they have it... Sounds like the manager, and the corporate office, accidentally did you a favor and saved you from ongoing dealer problems...
Old 06-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #5

RUN !!!!!!!!
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #6

I am not going back or even calling them.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

You can usually find comparable floorplans throughout the Forest River family of companies. Look around and find one you like and find another dealer.

If Camping Worlds were the last RV dealers available, I'd go back to hoteling. Really.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #8

x2 on what Ben31 said.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #9

Today I received an ad from Lakeshore RV Center in Ohio I believe saying she heir prices were lowest. Got a much better deal at CW in Myrtle Beach. I have priced around and bought my last 4 there. No complaints on service there either. Sean Kwant or Susie Davis have been great.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #10

In the past few years I have lost a lot of faith in Camping World. Although they appear to give you a discount for being a Good Sam member if you price shop their discount in some instances is a ruse. Also every time I have gone in for a purchase they try to sell you a membership renewal. Mine is good until 2022 and they told me ony last and probably final visit that I had to renew for my discount. After my prorest with the instore manager I got my discount without having to renew. Like really?? This was the Tucson store.
It's too bad about their poor customer service because they do have a nice variety of RV specific goods in their stores.
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #11

We got a good deal from CW in Myrtle Beach but they beat us up on trade price. Gave us a trade in price, then at the end said they needed to have another guy inspect it. Beat down the trade price saying that the crap bag awning we took off and had an extendable awning put on wasn't stock, even though professional install.
Now we shop for other full service dealers that CW or their Gander unit hasn't bought out.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #12

Amazing how some people run their business. I am not going to put all CW under the same umbrella, we have dealt with good and bad. And at the bad ones there are surely good people, and Id guess at the good ones there are bad people. But a lot of that is subjective, and a lot of that is based on what exactly you need from them. Sales is different from service is different from supply store.

But with that said, I guess it shows that there is a lot of demand for these vehicles. If no one was buying, they certainly wouldnt run off a potential customer... But it isnt just CW with questionable sales tactics, if you call it that. We went to a dealer (not CW) to look at a particular trailer that they had, there were other dealers with the same trailer, literally, exactly the same. But we wanted to look at it. It was about 15 minutes before closing. Apparently it was too close to close of business for them to show us the unit. This was a Sat afternoon, and we were about 90 minutes from home when we decided to take a look since we were in the area, last minute decision. We couldnt get back there prior to close any day during the work week, and we expressed that. But still, no dice on seeing the vehicle. They'd be happy to show us on Monday though. Or Tuesday. Or Wednesday. Even though we couldnt, lol. We werent going to twist their arm, they could show us or not, but we decided right then we wouldnt be back. We ended up buying the trailer from a different dealer. That trailer would have been sold to us if they took the 5 minutes to show us. We didnt need a demo, we just wanted to see the color in person. That was it. It was the same trailer we had, only difference was model year. Would have been the easiest sale of the salesman's career. But 5 minutes, at the end of the day, was just a little too much effort for them. For 5 minutes on a Sat they would have had a sale, instead it sat in their inventory for another 14 months...

Had a similar CW experience at Myrtle Beach with regard to trade. Our trade in had a leak where the awning meets the trailer. Personally I think they make them too tight, which stretches the seam, which lets water through. But the point is, it dribbled water through there from day 1. So I put a piece of awning repair tape along the seam. So they had to knock $1k off the trade value "because now we need to put a new awning on it". Get out of here with that. They didnt put a new awning on it, that would be absolutely absurd... But that seems to be a tactic there, that anything awning related is going to wipe you out on trade, cuz they know every awning that comes in is going to have a "problem"

Old 06-05-2019, 02:51 PM   #13

Customer Service begins to slack off and suck when sales go through the roof. Face it they don't because they don't have to. So many buyers of new, used and trade ups they don't need to serve you or spend anything extra on you .
Many RV dealerships make you have an appointment just to look if they require you be paired with a representative. Delivery are always on "their schedule".
Sales is backed up, they can't keep literature in stock, service is always backed up.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:21 PM   #14

I haven’t financed in a while. But when I did they usually had an approval or denial in the matter of ten minutes. Something smells at CW. One of my local dealerships just converted to CW. I won’t be shopping there. There’s plenty of dealers out there who will appreciate your patronage, before and after the sale
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #15
Citrus County, Fl.

Be careful. Many of the dealers that CW is buying out, they are keeping the same name. Wolf in sheeps clothing.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #16
jkoenig24

You WILL be approved for one of their TWENTY YEAR loans for an RV that probably won't last 10 years.

There ARE better dealers; keep looking. If you have not yet taken an RV Boot Camp DO SO! Whatever you buy will set you back thousands of dollars (and possibly MUCH more). RVBC graduates are smarter RV buyers and safer RVers. The Escapees RV Club run an EXCELLENT RVBC, usually over a weekend. Drive or fly in for the weekend and stay in a local motel / camping cabin. Other RV groups (RVSEF, FMCA, RV~Dreams etc) offer their versions of RVBC. You'll thank me later!
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #17

Hit your hand with a hammer to feel the fun.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #18

We had a good purchasing experience at Harrisburg CW and were tentatively excited when CW bought out Coopers. Went to the grand opening, made an appointment for a state inspection. Had to cancel the day before due to work. When I spoke to Service, they said 'oh, I'm glad you called. We ran out of stickers and couldn't do the inspection anyway'.

I don't live that far away but these jerks were going to have me drive all the way there only to turn around without an inspection! A phone call would have been nice!

They said they would call me when the stickers came in and they would put me in the front of the line........ That was a year ago and still no phone call.

Like an earlier post says, thank you for saving me the headache! I will not go back to that store for toilet paper, let alone service!
snub13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:06 AM   #19

Got a call from the Apollo cw general manager, yesterday afternoon, told him what's going on, while we on the phone, he checked with finance, they told him, that they never put our finance application into the banks, even though they had the application and copies of our income documents.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucke View Post
Got a call from the Apollo cw general manager, yesterday afternoon, told him what's going on, while we on the phone, he checked with finance, they told him, that they never put our finance application into the banks, even though they had the application and copies of our income documents.
Well then..............

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping