Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Site Team

Camping World stepping up

Camping World of Bossier City (Shreveport, LA)

I had the occasion to spend 6.5 hours at this store April 5th. After installing brake system, light wiring and tow brackets on my Jeep earlier this week, they needed to linc it up with my class c Forester so I drove an hour to camping world to see the end result. They stayed on it 6.5 hours (minus lunch). Setting it up, tweeking a few things, running wires, etc. It's great now.
My review is this... These people have the right idea. I saw customers greeted with smiles and warm welcomes. I saw employees meet at 8:00 am and laugh and joke and encourage each other before any customers arrived. I was asked more than a dozen times if I needed anything. Was even offered lunch if I had to be there that long. I settled for the free hotdog and popcorn and a Coke. Jeff and Courtney, in parts, and Ronnie, the parts and service manager went above and beyond during the ordering and installation processes. High quality employees. The 2 men who did the last bit of hookup on the Jeep and Forester were very knowledgeable about the brakes, cables, wiring and showed me how it all worked together. I was very comfortable pulling away for the first time pulling a toad with an RV. I've never bought an RV from camping world, because we never found our ("perfect floorplan," per my wife) there. My brother, brother in law and nephew have bought 4 from this store. I've shopped camping world for parts and accessories all over the country, and I hold this one up as a standard for all others. So glad to know it's only an hour from me. Keep up the good work!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #2

We have a Camping World near us which used to be unfriendly and had the attitude that they were doing me a favor just by talking to me.

The last 2 visits there for maintenance and repairs were completely different. They'd hired more service advisors and they were helpful and friendly. The work was done on time and as advertised.

I don't know what changed. I know after Hurricane Harvey they hired a lot more people to repair damaged rvs and I suspect that a lot of the people they hired were from businesses that were flooded out by the storm.

Whatever the cause and effect, the Camping World near us has a great service department.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:09 AM   #3

Like any business, there are good and bad and it generally comes down to the employees and how they treat customers. I've had bad experiences at my local CW but glad to hear there are some that are still doing it the right way. I generally order my stuff off Amazon because they are cheaper than CW most of the time but have shopped at the local one for convenience sake a couple times when I was in the area and needed something.

Most of the bad reports I am aware of for CW revolve around surprize fees over and above the agreed upon price when buying a camper and some locations where the service department was very poorly managed. FOr the sake of everyone owning an RV, I hope they turn things around at the poor locations and run them as well as the locations you two mention.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:42 AM   #4
"On the road again"

Several years ago - before the really big decline in Camping World - they did window awnings for our Columbus at the time. TERRIBLE job. They had already mounted the railings (drilling holes, etc.) then realized they had ordered the wrong awnings. Two weeks later we were back and they couldn't get things to fit right.

Finally on the third trip - job completed, but due to the incorrect railings we had an extra six inches or so of railing exposed that shouldn't be. They said they didn't want to remove the wrong railings and put the right ones in because it would leave holes in the side of our camper.

We finally accepted the fact that they had no clue what they were doing...paid and left. We've never been back to a CW since and won't ever go back.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:43 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Its like buying Tysons chicken. You can buy it at Walmart and save money or pay a little more at the Piggly Wiggly for better service with a local owner. Comes down to choices you make. We have a Camping World equivalent up here in Canada. High pressure sign on the line and buy this and that types.I won't buy from them as they buy certain bling brands with maximum profit.
Now there service department is large, god people and store is best around. I do buy parts there. They are trying to shed the mega store image only mentioning the local outlet in ads.Time will tell.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

I bought a Forest River Forester from Camping World in Lafayette, Louisiana and was treated fair on the sale and was treated great by service when I brought back for repairs during warranty. They did a great job on keeping me informed on progress and made sure I was comfortable while waiting on the work to be completed.
claudew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
DW's 401(k) Plan

I'm hoping the renewed interest in customers is due to the takeover a year or more ago. Maybe someone has read the forums and heard the cries if unsatisfactory service, shoddy work, etc. and has decided to change things. Next time I'm close to one, I'll slide in and see if things have changed on our end. When I was there looking for ideas on tow bars for my toad 3 years ago, no one would give me the time of day. We'll see if it's changed.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #8

I've avoided Camping World because of the poor reviews, but am glad to begin seeing some positive comments. I like their concept, and will have to stop in and see if our local store has decent service. Thanks for posting this!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:46 PM   #9

I prefer having a mobile tech come to my 5er. If not possible CW in Myrtle Beach is my next choice. Sales and service warranty and not.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #10

There is a reason CW stock has dropped in two years from $48 to $14. I’m not sure why but that alone make me very cautious.
Burhym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #11
Campaholic

Up here in Canada we don’t have a Camping World (maybe someday). We bought our new 5er from our local FR dealer back in ‘16. On our first trip down south with it we got as far as Sioux City,Iowa,stopped at a rest area. While doing a walk around I noticed that the rubber on the roof had a large bubble. To make a long story short the fellow (can’t remember his name) went above and beyond to help us out. He was the only service tech around at 5pm on a Saturday,he wasn’t even supposed to be there that day. He climbed up on the roof and fixed it up so we could continue on our way. When we went to pay for the service he said NO CHARGE. WHAT? we where taken aback ,he was here on his day off and when we needed him he stepped up to the plate to look after us.
This has been our only dealings with Camping World and needless to say we can’t say anything negative about them.
Greg.miranda.travels
Fun finders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudew View Post
I bought a Forest River Forester from Camping World in Lafayette, Louisiana and was treated fair on the sale and was treated great by service when I brought back for repairs during warranty. They did a great job on keeping me informed on progress and made sure I was comfortable while waiting on the work to be completed.
Your camping world and the one in bossier we're both Southern RV before camping world bought them out. Perhaps they are still under same management and going through the same improvement plan.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 AM   #13
Site Team

It's easy for us to generalize about groups. ie. One bad doctor and they're all quacks. One bad cop and they're all crooks. One bad salesman and they're all rude.
Easy to do. I'm so guilty of this myself. That's why I was so impressed with my experience at CW. I'd heard so much about how bad they all were. Shame on me for generalizing.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Camping World of Bossier City (Shreveport, LA)

So glad to know it's only an hour from me. Keep up the good work!

I'm glad you had a good experience, much different from what happened to me. When my local Camping World (Akron, OH) installed the towing package in my toad, there were a number of problems. The braking system failed less than a mile from the dealer and their fix for the problem, while making it work, didn't fix the problem which then reappeared within a month. Worse than that, they installed the system's attachment to the brake pedal so that when I applied the brake with my foot, it would throw my foot off of the brake onto the gas pedal. I told CW to install the system using a 7-position cable but they used a 5-position and ran an extra wire for the sixth connection the system required.

I was able to fix the brake pedal attachment, a 15 minute job. When I finally went to Roadmaster's factory to have them figure out whey the brake system didn't work, they explained to me that CW had installed the actuator under the dashboard instead of under the driver's seat. CW's installation location required them to coil up the actuator cable, causing enough friction in the cable that the brake system wouldn't work. Roadmaster relocated the actuator to its correct location under the driver's seat which completely solved the problem.

There are a few scattered CWs that provide competent service. I consider it a gamble whenever using one for a repair.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:51 PM   #15
MCTroy

Our friends fell in live with a Vintage type TT of SOB. only dealership for this TT within 200 miles is Camping World in Columbus, Ohio. They were terrible when our friends called for delivery updates. One time they said the trailer was there until my friends drove 75 miles... then nope, they LOST the trailer. Being a Facebook junkie, I got online and found their page. I spelled out all the horrible service etc. SURPRISE! By 7:00 am the next day they had a call from corporate and they got things done. So maybe going up the ladder works!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping