Old 10-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #11

They will put it back together, sell it, and it would probably be as good if not better than a new unit. Probably better.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
They will put it back together, sell it, and it would probably be as good if not better than a new unit. Probably better.

We have thought about that. And it was kinda of nice seeing everything thing that was wrong with it upfront. I just hope they fix everything correctly the first time. However, I understand that it can be a process.

Jaimberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post

Unless we are talking Camping World, of course!

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean you should!
JohnD10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:49 AM   #14

The RV manufacturing model puts the dealer in the position to find and correct any defects, they're the last step in manufacturing. They're expected to replace things like appliances that don't work, etc.

Recall that the RV's "warranty" does not include things like the air conditioner, refrigerator, and in some cases not the frame (or engine if motorized). RVs are a collection of parts warranted by their manufacturer, not the assembler (factory) or dealer.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:07 AM   #15

If you don't want that particular unit, I'd still buy from that dealership. The fact that they'd sacrifice a potential sale on another because they wanted to get a customer's rig repaired quicker means a lot.

I do landscaping. I used to have a dealer many years ago that would do the same thing. If I had a warranty repair, they'd often pull that part off a new model and have me back in business within a day. Far better than waiting for the manufacturer to approve something and then ship the part.

Down time means me not mowing or you not camping. Think about it.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_S View Post
The RV manufacturing model puts the dealer in the position to find and correct any defects, they're the last step in manufacturing. They're expected to replace things like appliances that don't work, etc.

Recall that the RV's "warranty" does not include things like the air conditioner, refrigerator, and in some cases not the frame (or engine if motorized). RVs are a collection of parts warranted by their manufacturer, not the assembler (factory) or dealer.

-- Chuck
Happy Sunday Chuck,
I wasn't even thinking about it from that prospective. I thought our initial 1 year warranty covered everything (fridge, A/C, etc...) as long as it wasn't due to neglect. We did purchase the additional warranty plan, which so far hasn't really benefited us.
For a few items we just contacted the company directly for parts and they would state it's still under warranty and would send it for free. For example, the AC vent cover and fridge handle.
Jaimberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #17

Check the fine print!

Unless things have changed appliances are not warranted by Forest River in my experience but by who made them like Dometic. And since the warranty is by Dometic (for example) any RV dealer can handle the warranty work, not just a FR dealer.

IIRC there was a problem with Jayco lightweight trailer frames a few years ago (and maybe still?). Jayco said "sorry not covered by our warranty, take this compliant to BAL who furnished the frame" (or words to that effect).

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 PM   #18

I work for a large heavy equipment dealer and many times we have to rob parts off new equipment to take care of a customer, the parts are then ordered and reinstalled on the new equipment at dealership. It's never been an issue

Malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service