Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #1

Dealerships, Warranties, and Service

My wife and I recently test drove a Berkshire at a dealership that we have a good relationship with. However, we were surprised to find out that the unit appeared to be used by the dealership for parts. For example, the unit didn't have any functioning A/C units, the water heater wasn't working, of few of the plumbing connections weren't connected and/or present. They stated that they used parts of the unit to get other customers on the road quicker. Is this allowed? If so can they technically still sell it brand new when they put it back together? How does that affect factory warranty? Does this happen in the auto industry at car dealerships?

Jaimberlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:58 AM   #2

How old is the unit? It's apparently been sitting around unsold for quite some time serving as a parts source. I've seen 3-year old RVs sold as new. New meaning never titled. 2019 models have been out since last May or June.

-- Chuck

Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimberlyn View Post
My wife and I recently test drove a Berkshire at a dealership that we have a good relationship with. However, we were surprised to find out that the unit appeared to be used by the dealership for parts. For example, the unit didn't have any functioning A/C units, the water heater wasn't working, of few of the plumbing connections weren't connected and/or present. They stated that they used parts of the unit to get other customers on the road quicker. Is this allowed? If so can they technically still sell it brand new when they put it back together? How does that affect factory warranty? Does this happen in the auto industry at car dealerships?
Happens quite often. Yes, it can still be sold as new.
Doesn't affect factory warranty.
Yes, it happens in the auto industry but not as often.
Warning! Don't make the mistake of comparing the RV Industry with the Auto Industry.
They have nothing in common, other than making things with wheels and sell them at dealerships.
Other than they that, they couldn't be more different.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #4

It was a 2018 34QS. We were surprised.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:43 AM   #5

Thank you for the reply and definitely true that you can't compare the two. Thank you for making me a better RVer and taking the time to educate!!!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:52 PM   #6

shame on the dealership letting a less than 100% RV to be used on a test drive...
right away I would think either the salesman or the sales manager or BOTH have no idea what they are doing...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

I guess there are two ways of looking at that. One they are being very transparent. Or two they don't care. We have developed a good relationship with them and they stated during the test drive they probably wouldn't do this with anyone else. So I just don't know.
Moreover, my concern was can they still actually sell this as brand new since there are several things that need repaired.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #8

My fridge in my TT went out on me a few days before a long trip and a new one would not make it before I had to leave so LazyDay's RV in Aurora CO pulled a fridge from a new unit on the lot and put it in mine and ordered a new one for replacement of the other rig. It worked out great on my end and I don't think the new owners of the other rig will ever know this took place. I was just happy they were able to help in such a short time and save our trip.
Airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimberlyn View Post
I guess there are two ways of looking at that. One they are being very transparent. Or two they don't care. We have developed a good relationship with them and they stated during the test drive they probably wouldn't do this with anyone else. So I just don't know.
Moreover, my concern was can they still actually sell this as brand new since there are several things that need repaired.
If it has not been titled then it is "NEW" AND YES it happens in the auto industry as well.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:12 PM   #10

No way i'd buy it. After reading about the many problems people have with complete units it's hard to imagine what problems you would face with this unit.

chapelt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, service