Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2014, 06:10 PM   #1

Dirty sales practice-beware

Well, we would like to be FR owners, but the local dealers (RV World Inc Lakeland/Nokomis FL) that carry the model line we want are...special. From perusing this great forum I am seeing more and more examples of a sales practice aimed at elderly people (us).
First, there are great sales people out there. My Dad was a professional salesman most of his life. But many of the new generation are crooked, unethical and predatory. This new "sales technique" relies on the trusting nature of a different time, a time when almost no one would look you straight in the eye and lie to you for gain. It works like this; before price negotiations begin the sales person tells you he needs a "deposit" before he can present your offer(s) to his manager. He will tell you this is to show you are "serious." He will tell you this is the way it is done now. He is a d#@n liar. Deposits, if needed at all, happen after you approve the final sales agreement. Good people, please do not fall for this scam. If you give them your money you will be held hostage. If you do not accept THEIR terms, they will keep your money. Get up, say nothing more (unless you are like me and tell them what they can do with their deposit requirement), and go find a more ethical dealer.
pjnlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnlorrie View Post
Well, we would like to be FR owners, but the local dealers (RV World Inc Lakeland/Nokomis FL) that carry the model line we want are...special. From perusing this great forum I am seeing more and more examples of a sales practice aimed at elderly people (us).
First, there are great sales people out there. My Dad was a professional salesman most of his life. But many of the new generation are crooked, unethical and predatory. This new "sales technique" relies on the trusting nature of a different time, a time when almost no one would look you straight in the eye and lie to you for gain. It works like this; before price negotiations begin the sales person tells you he needs a "deposit" before he can present your offer(s) to his manager. He will tell you this is to show you are "serious." He will tell you this is the way it is done now. He is a d#@n liar. Deposits, if needed at all, happen after you approve the final sales agreement. Good people, please do not fall for this scam. If you give them your money you will be held hostage. If you do not accept THEIR terms, they will keep your money. Get up, say nothing more (unless you are like me and tell them what they can do with their deposit requirement), and go find a more ethical dealer.
What model are you looking for?

TURBS.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #3

deposit

Hi, i ordered my Forester from Alliance Coach in Wildwood, Fl and no deposit until we had an agreement and a contract in writing. They're not far from you and they deal in Forest River Products and from what I've heard they have a good reputation.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #4

Hello TURBS,

We are looking for a Vibe 6501.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #5

I would not deal with an outfit like that. Maybe us older folks aren't as dumb as they look.
pacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:00 PM   #6

They'd try that once and I'd lay my badge on the table and tell them they might want to reconsider that because they are on step away from going to jail. When I got my trailer wasn't expecting to buy that day was just looking, salesman said no problem process went on that day and I mailed it to them the next day and a week later we had our trailer.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
Paradise has arrived!

When I went to take the plunge I went to 3 dealers. I told them first thing I was not buying today. More importantly I told them not to call me. If I had questions I would call them. Well, two of them didn't follow orders and they called me. Guess which one of the 3 got the sale! I know they have to make a living but they need to respect my way of doing business if they are going to have me as a customer.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #8

This goes for cars trucks and boats. When they start asking for deposits I am done. If we can't deal in good faith then I move on. Unfortunately rv dealers are not as close as car dealers.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:01 PM   #9

Many like minds here. I refuse to play the psychological games. I will not sit and be abused in "the box," I will not haggle, I will not be pressured. I research, decide on a fair price and make an offer, usually by e-mail. They need the permission of 4 people to make the deal anyway.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #10

I haven't had that experience buying a RV but have had it happen buying a car. I've bought many cars over the years. One salesman said he needed a check to present my offer to the manager for a new car. He came back and said my offer was too low, my wife said "GIVE ME THAT CHECK" and ripped it out of his hand. His jaw dropped and we left. We went back about a week later and they had a completely different attitude. One other time I put my arm around the shoulder of the salesman and took him to the front window and said "tell me if you can see a turnip truck out there". I used to like to haggle but don't play those games any more, just get to the bottom line, no BS, or I walk.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Many like minds here. I refuse to play the psychological games. I will not sit and be abused in "the box," I will not haggle, I will not be pressured. I research, decide on a fair price and make an offer, usually by e-mail. They need the permission of 4 people to make the deal anyway.

Aaah, you know about the box. Although this following article pertains to car dealers, it's a long and extremely informative article on the way many dealers work the customer:

Here is the original 11 page article that does explain the box and such:

Confessions of a Car Salesman

and the update:

What's Changed Since Edmunds Published "Confessions of a Car Salesman"? on Edmunds.com

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #12

When we purchased our unit. we laid down a $500 deposit upon signing a contract in October 2011. I included several conditions to the contract, which was not an issue for the dealer.

Upon delivery of the unit to the dealer in January 2012, we provided another $1,000 deposit. Although mid winter, we inspected the unit to confirm colours and options were all correct.

We paid the balance upon pick up in April 2012.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 08:18 AM   #13

Every new car salesman I have dealt with in the last 25 years has asked for the "just to show my manager your serious" money. In my younger, more naļve days, I complied. Now that I am getting older and a little more crusty, I just tell them I have better things to do than play games. As far as sales people in the good 'ole days being more honest, it always comes down to the individual and not the generation. I have dealt with plenty of slimy salespeople in all types of business during my 57 years that would look you in the eye and shake your hand while picking your pocket.
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:44 PM   #14

Update-
We have been contacted by senior management at the referenced establishment and a satisfactory resolution to our issues were reached.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Update-
We have been contacted by senior management at the referenced establishment and a satisfactory resolution to our issues were reached.
Excellent. Glad it all worked out. Many thanks for posting the final outcome, as people seem to forget to do this once their immediate problem is solved. It will greatly help others in the future who are doing a search on the same subject matter.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote