Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Great Outdoors RV Fulton NY

Just purchased a leftover 2015 Wildcat 317RL from this dealer. Anyone have any info good or bad about them.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
Laramie Longhorn w/rambox
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
weldon182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

We started working a deal with them on a brand new Keystone. Found them at the SY RV show. After a few weeks back and forth we ended up walking away because of our sales person's arrogance. She was completely unwilling to work with us on anything including the price. Several times she told us that their price is the best they will do and there is no negotiation. I attempted to explain that I have found that same unit at other NY dealers for much less however they were several more hours away...she didn't care. She also said good luck with our PT because they would never carry that brand...
Well so far we love our PT Crusader...
I write this with neutral feelings though...I hate to let one terrible person ruin my option on something...this was just my experience...I am sure people have had much better...

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon182 View Post
Just purchased a leftover 2015 Wildcat 317RL from this dealer. Anyone have any info good or bad about them.
Worst dealer ever.

Not that I have experience with every dealer there is (or even close). But I never pass up a chance to express my extreme unhappiness with the way they operate.

I had a series of issues with their service department on what was a fairly minor repair. When I wasn't happy with how things were going and I was getting nowhere with the service writer I asked to speak to the service manager (I was on the phone, as they are 70 miles away). He said no. So I hang up and call back and politely ask the person answering the phone to speak to the service manager. Of course - voice mail. Several messages, no return call. When I go to pick up the camper, I ask to speak to the General Manager - again, very politely. He's not in, but he'll call me. No call. All I really wanted was to tell them how unhappy I was with service department's work. They could have said "OK, we understand, but that's the best we could do." and I probably would have let it go. But now, after being completely ignored - and having to fix some of their work myself to avoid missing a big trip - I am still mad about it 5 years later.

And the best part, the whole mess was over a $500 job. I had another $1000 of work done on that camper at Oliver's in Norwich (who are great people) and then bought our current Rockwood Roo from Seven O's even though The Great Outdoors sells the twin Flagstaff Shamrock. And Seven O's has been a night and day difference to deal with. They are outstanding.

Congrats on the Wildcat - they are really nice. Hopefully you have a better experience with the dealer.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMP44 View Post
Worst dealer ever.

Not that I have experience with every dealer there is (or even close). But I never pass up a chance to express my extreme unhappiness with the way they operate.

I had a series of issues with their service department on what was a fairly minor repair. When I wasn't happy with how things were going and I was getting nowhere with the service writer I asked to speak to the service manager (I was on the phone, as they are 70 miles away). He said no. So I hang up and call back and politely ask the person answering the phone to speak to the service manager. Of course - voice mail. Several messages, no return call. When I go to pick up the camper, I ask to speak to the General Manager - again, very politely. He's not in, but he'll call me. No call. All I really wanted was to tell them how unhappy I was with service department's work. They could have said "OK, we understand, but that's the best we could do." and I probably would have let it go. But now, after being completely ignored - and having to fix some of their work myself to avoid missing a big trip - I am still mad about it 5 years later.

And the best part, the whole mess was over a $500 job. I had another $1000 of work done on that camper at Oliver's in Norwich (who are great people) and then bought our current Rockwood Roo from Seven O's even though The Great Outdoors sells the twin Flagstaff Shamrock. And Seven O's has been a night and day difference to deal with. They are outstanding.

Congrats on the Wildcat - they are really nice. Hopefully you have a better experience with the dealer.
I don't even own an RV yet (PDI on our Prism is tomorrow, tho) but I swear that everything I've seen or read thus far tells me we should all vote with our feet (and our wallets).

I'm pretty handy and with the help of this and other forums will tackle minor issues myself rather than letting a dealer make it worse while keeping it for 2+ weeks.

For stuff we can't do ourselves, has anyone looked into have home remodel contractors come out and do repairs?

I mean it's mostly wood, paint, flooring, electrical, plumbing that seem to be issues.

Aren't they better able to troubleshoot and repair than your average slackjaw at Honest Bubba's RV and Boat Repair? What am I missing here?
Byron in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

WoW starting to get a bad feeling

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 02-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #6

We bought ours at Seven O's in Cicero. So far we have nothing but good things to say about them....
chengdave2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:25 PM   #7

Man hope we don't regret this. This experience is supposed to be fun. I guess we will see how it plays out when we pick it up.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 02-26-2016, 02:27 PM   #8
Paradise has arrived!

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldon182 View Post
WoW starting to get a bad feeling

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Wow Fulton NY. So many memories...my parents met at Sealtest and my grandfather worked at Nestle (he always called it the chocolate factory.) I can still smell the chocolate when we played outside. Sorry I know this is way off topic but just wanted to thank you for bringing back some great memories!
Old 02-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #9

Robert,

I already responded to your earlier welcome to the forum thread in which I advised you I had a positive experience at Great Outdoors. This was a new Shamrock 183 in 2008.
PDI was complete. We noted scratches on fridge door - they were already aware and showed us their communication with FR. At the end of the first season I had a list of items (all minor) and all were fixed with no hassle. Lost touch until early 2015 when I had some delam. issues and service manager worked hard to hold the cost down.

I ended up trading at Wilkins RV in Bath, NY. 2 hours away, but is a nice trip through the wine country. Great Outdoors did not have the model I wanted and their most recent order to FR did not include any.

2 other posters had positive experiences at Seven-O's. Mine was just the opposite. When looking to trade the saleswoman told me my Shamrock was second tier to the Roo even though they are built by the same staff in the same building. She told me (with a straight face) that the FR staff brings their A game for Roos and sleepwalk through Shamrock builds. In effect she pegged me for a person who would believe anything. Got a much better deal at Wilkins so it all worked out.
You bought the RV. I'd go in with a positive attitude and hopefully everything will work out.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:33 PM   #10

I know cnycamper that you had answered my earlier post and it is appreciated. I was just hoping more than one had a positive experience there. I have had an uneasy feeling about there since after we made our purchase just can't put my finger on what it is. I am going in with an open mind I have already made the deal with them. Just hoping something will make my uneasiness go away. I know most happy people don't post things and I get that but there is some pretty awful things about this place on the Internet. Hopefully I will be as happy as you were.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 02-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #11

[QUOTE
You bought the RV. I'd go in with a positive attitude and hopefully everything will work out.[/QUOTE]

x2...Every person looks at things differently, meaning a person's attitude, mannerisms or a businesses motto or quality of work. What might be fine for you might not be fine for me. Stay positive be excited and I am sure everything will be just fine. This is a fun time in life. If people never bought from dealers that others had bad interactions with I'd doubt there would be any dealers left...

Good luck and enjoy......well once the nice weather arrives!!

Days Camped in last 3 years - 79
Planned Days in 2021 - 50
Days Camped in 2021 - 0
Justice12t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #12

Second the nice weather

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #13

Good to hear from another Forest River owner from Upstate. I understand your uneasy feeling about the dealer you purchased your new Wildcat from. What I have found is that whenever my dealer didn't meet my expectations Forest River stepped in and resolved my issues. IMHO you have purchased from an excellent manufacturer who will stand behind their product. Each year a Rally is held in Goshen, Indiana where Forest River sends hundreds of technicians to the Rally to address issues owners have. Enjoy your Wildcat and make some memories.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:46 AM   #14

Thanks silverado2500hd it does give us piece of mind to know FR stands behind their product so well. Could be an excuse to go on a trip to Indiana so that's not all bad. We will see how it all plays out hopefully it will all work out.

Robert
2012 RAM 3500 Cummins
2015 Wildcat 317RL
2015 Wildcat 317RL
Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 AM   #15

Seriously, you bought first them ask questions? Live and learn.
JP Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:27 PM   #16

Not so Great Outdoors RV Store

I purchased a 2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS from the Great outdoors. After a couple of years we decided to trade in for a 5er with a different floor plan so the wife and I went back there and talked to the same salesman that we purchased from. I explained to him all I wanted to know was how much they would give me for a trade in and what the new one was going to cost me. As usual they jerked me around for over an hour and never got a straight answer so the DW and I left. Low and be hold we get a letter in the mail a few weeks later and those SOB's ran a credit check on us without or authorization. I called the salesman and ripped him a new ASS%$le and told him I did not authorize a credit check and he told me it was company policy I then informed him that without my consent they do not have the right to do a credit check especially when I wasn't going to purchase anything. As much as I like some of the models they carry I would NEVER do business with them again. So far Jeff Couche's in Ohio has beaten everyone in my area by thousands but I just don't know if I want to travel the 600 + miles there.
No more shoveling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door