Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 01:12 PM   #1

Hood RV Decatur AL

Wanted to let folks in the Tri State area know that Hood RV is your go to dealership for repairs & towable sales!

Anne-Marie and I went to the dealership at the suggestion of Rob Walworth (FR Corporate Sales) as the closest dealership for ROckwood & Cardinal 5th Wheels.

WOW was that a good visit.. Rodney & Nick Johnston (Owner and General Manager) made us feel right at home and it seems that Hood RV had hired some of the fine folks that used to work at Dandy RV as well!

So if you are in the market for a FR Towable or are on I65 near exit 334 and need FR parts, service or RV accessories (they have a small but well stocked RV store with great prices.) I can personally vouch for Hood RV

3504 Deer Road, Decatur AL 35603
I-65 exit 334 Behind the Pilot Truck Center
256.350.9395 | www.hoodrv.com

Their web site is under development - Rodney just hired a new Internet manager last week.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

You got lucky with Hood Rv...we bought a class c from them in 09 ...after many trips back they never could fix a water valve problem ..
Dogpound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Many things can change over time. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #4

It was a very bad experience and it was not handled very well. We try ed to work with Hood for almost a year and they never able to make the repairs. ..we took it elsewhere and got the repairs done. I was told that warranty repairs didn't pay their shop rate so they worked on them as they had time. I felt that they did not want to do warranty work and they were doing me a favor because they sold me the coach
Old 08-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
You got lucky with Hood Rv...we bought a class c from them in 09 ...after many trips back they never could fix a water valve problem ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Many things can change over time. Later RJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpound View Post
It was a very bad experience and it was not handled very well. We try ed to work with Hood for almost a year and they never able to make the repairs. ..we took it elsewhere and got the repairs done. I was told that warranty repairs didn't pay their shop rate so they worked on them as they had time. I felt that they did not want to do warranty work and they were doing me a favor because they sold me the coach
This is a "That Was Then, This Is Now" situation

Hood RV is now under new ownership - they just decided to keep the dealership name "Hood RV - a Johnston company."

I can assure you that Rodney & Nick Johnston (Owner/General Manager) will do everything in their power to make sure you are a delighted customer. I urge you to give them a try again, I am positive you will not regret it!
Old 08-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #6

Sorry ...why take chance.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:02 PM   #7

We really need a factory dealership close by. If you build it you should know how to fix it. It very disappointing to buy from a dealer who can fix What needs fixed and tries to blame
Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #8
Citrus County, Fl.

Where is there a factory dealership?
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:27 PM   #9

Bought my TT from them last July. Their techs seemed to break three things for every one they fixed. They installed an electrical outlet upside down. They fouled up television wiring. Messed up our wall trim next to the fridge. Fouled up my speaker wiring. Incorrectly installed a winterization valve. Last straw was a water pump they replaced that they did not even mount-just left it hanging by the water hoses. I gladly paid 3x what they charged for my annual "RV Warranty Forever" inspection because I did not trust them to correctly inspect/repair anything. Glad your experience was good, Bob, but their service dept lost my confidence. I hate being a Gloomy-Gus and contradictory, but just wanted readers to understand that their experience, like mine, may differ drastically.
stallsmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Forest River has a lot of authorized dealers however they sell other brands...most of them don't want to do warranty work...FR is slow pay so they say. There is no factory service in the area. The closest would be Indiana. We have been using Bankston so far so good, they fixed the problems under warranty that others didn't in a timely manor
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM   #11
Citrus County, Fl.

I know BamaBob's word is as good as gold. Yoy should give them a try. As for factory dealerships, I wasn't aware any factory owned a dealership except maybe Nexus and Born Free. Factory authorized, that's another story.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #12

Bess his heart,,,they really messed up my coach and caused my wife and myself a lot of time and trouble. Like l said we worked with them for over a year. ...and they never did fix it.

As for a factory dealership. ..I said it would be nice to have one where they only work on coaches they manufacture. A independent dealer is what l call a jack of all trades master of none.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #13

No one doubts Bob's word...and I agree with your assessment--his character is beyond reproach. But different people have differing experiences. Remember, consistency and standardization went away when the second person arrived on earth.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:04 PM   #14

What has consistency and standardization have to do with training....then comes the experence...what happened to the apprentice program...I know for sure that an rvs systems are very different from a residential system a
Old 08-23-2015, 07:24 PM   #15

Dogpound, I was referring to consistency and standardization of experiences one has at a dealership. You may have a good one, I may have a bad one. That is inconsistent. And standardization is how one should be trained. All are trained to certain standards. Standardization training is an aviation term and I am an old aviator. So I used it in context to how techs are trained and expected to perform. BTW, I agree with you that Hood's has a bad service dept--check my previous posts.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #16

We do agree that Hood has a bad service dept. It was such a bad experience that we would never go there for service or repair
Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #17

Again All, this is a "That was then, This is now" situation. Rodney & Nick Johnston just acquired Hood RV (I believe) early this year.

They have made some pretty sweeping changes, hired the finance officer that used to work at Dandy RV (Camping world Acquired them last NOV) and completely revamped the service department. They now specialize in tow-behinds. The do not sell Class A, B or C MH, but I suspect if someone was in trouble they could service the RV part of the MH but not the drivetrain.

The dealership really is "Under New Management."

Tags
cat