Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2016, 04:28 PM   #1

Kind of a long rant about Camping world and Forest River

We called Camping World of Calera to have some warranty work done to our Forest River Wildcat. When I called they told me they I could bring it down there in two weeks. I was fine with that and waited two weeks and brought it down that morning of July 30/2016. There were a couple people in front of me and I waited until it was my turn. I gave them a list of problems we had with our 5th wheel about 12 in all. Everything from broken hinges to fresh water not registering on the meter to the awning separating. The service advisor told me he would be on vacation the following week but assured me they would be working on my camper while he was gone. So I left it there for the first week and waited until the following Tuesday to call him and see how it was going. I was told everything was going well and that they were still looking at it. I said ok and waited again and called back that Friday to see if everything was getting done. I was told they ordered the parts and that 3 of the things they could not find anything wrong with. So I explained to them where they problem was and they said ok I will go out right now and take a look at it. Well another week goes by and I call to see if the parts have come in and they tell me no not yet. So I decide to call Forest River to find out that the delay is. Forest River informs me that no parts have been ordered for my camper. I call Camping world back and I’m told they will call me back. That was on a Tuesday. I never hear anything back so I call everyday that week and get the same response that someone will call me back. I can say with all the calls I have made they might have called me back twice. Well they finally order my parts three weeks after I bring it in. ( I find out later that they didn’t ever look at my camper until the Thursday. Why make an appointment for Saturday and keep it 5 days before even looking at it.) So I finally get the service manager at Camping World and its just a nightmare. Excuse after excuse not taking ownership for any of it. The parts are on order now he tells me. I said I was told that before and they straight out lied to me. So now I call Forest River and they tell me everything is in except the window and awning and that it will go out right away. Well I guess right away means when ever they get to it because I have been calling they now trying to find out when they will ship my parts. At first they said they had everything but then changed there mind and said they were waiting on a part. When I questioned them on it and said you told me it was in last week he checked and said oh yes it is in we will get this out today. Well today was 6 days ago. He said call me tomorrow and I’ll give you the tracking info on it. Well I have called everyday last week and got the same thing. Call me back tomorrow and I’ll have it for you. After talking to the Parts manager at Forest River I finally got informed that they are shipping everything except the awning and window today and gave me that tracking info. They have had my 5th wheel for over 6 weeks now and by the time they get the parts it will be Friday or Monday and then they have to install them I will be looking at 2 months that they have had my camper. My wife would like to know who is going to make the 2 months worth of payments because we have not had the camper. I’m at my wits ends not sure what way to turn on this hole thing. The sad part is even when we get it back next week I will still have to bring it back for the window and awning. What would you do????

Sorry for the rant just going crazy.

Lenny
Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #2
Site Team

Lenny
What you are experiencing is not unusual at some dealers today. With lower fuel prices and some improvement in the economy, the RV industry is cranking out units as fast as they can as opposed to having storage lots full of them a few years ago. This is resulting in more repair issues and busy service facilities. I am not endorsing this by any means just telling it like it is. Add to this the fact that warranty work pays less than non warranty repairs and you have dissatisfied customers. Keep the pressure (politely) on them and follow up if needed to keep them honest. If you have issues in the future have them check them out. and order parts but take the unit home and use it. Tell them you will make an appointment to bring it back when the parts are in. The front end ( prior to purchase) options I always consider are. Pay a little more from a dealer with known good service or get the best deal you can and use the savings to cover warranty repairs from a private service facility. Also remember that many of the components in an RV are warrantied by the manufacturer ( not FR). For those items, you can many times use a local service facility that is an authorized dealer for the component. Once you get everything working, you will enjoy your new toy.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:02 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I read about 1/2 of the first post and automatically knew the outcome. Typical CW dealer runaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

Your experience seems to be all too common. The sad part is, why don't dealers just tell the truth. We are busy and this is the expected time frame....I'm in the fleet business and I am straight up with my customers when the shop is backed up.
When I brought my unit back to CW for about 10 items I told them be straight we me and I will be a easy customer to work with. I'm familiar how the warranty game goes.
I dropped if off, told them if it will roll I'll pick it up while we wait on parts or FR approval. About a week later they called, had to order a bunch of parts. No problem I'll come get it out of your yard and get another trip in.
Three weeks later took it in and got most of the issues resolved. (One part came in damaged). Still waiting on that one but it's not going to stop me from going camping.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post
I read about 1/2 of the first post and automatically knew the outcome. Typical CW dealer runaround.

never dealt with cw but have had same issue with local dealer
packrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

Nothing to be upset about,thats just how it is once they complete the sale.Not just CW but 90% of the dealers.Ive decided your better off to buy a 2 yr old from a private owner.If we ever buy another one (big IF) thats probably what I'd do.Campers are like everything else,if it works good for the first 2 years,its good for a long time.Let someone else sort it out.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:15 PM   #7

Long story, Never buy anything from Camping World except parts you can't get off Amazon for a quick fix.
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:23 PM   #8

lennyd96, I feel your Camping World pain. Check out my vent at Frustration with dealer warranty work

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I experienced similar when I had my old crossroads tt. We purchased it from a local camping world. It would frequently sit on their lot for 3 weeks before they ever looked at it. They would try to blame delays on manufacturer when in reality the issue was CW not crossroads. cAn even went so far as to damage my tt and try to pretend they had no knowledge of the damage. I have no intention of ever buying from CW again.

Fast forward to my fiver, I have had it in and out of the shop could.bless times and back to the factory twice plus took it to the factory rally for repairs all in the 2 years we have owned it. The difference is my current dealership (not CW) has been great to work with. They try hard to get me right in and are honest when there is going to be a wait. They all me with regular updates and return my calls. I have dealt directly with FR as well with good response and success.

Believe me when I say I completely understand your frustration. My dh used to ask about payments, fuel reimbursement for the multiple dealer trips, etc You will be hard pressed to get any of that. My suggestion is to document, document, document. Remember, the minute you mention any legal action, all communication from a dealer and or forest river will stop. As hard as it is, try to stay positive, stay thankful for any help, stay pleasant but stay active in your communication. You will catch way more flies with honey here. Good luck.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:32 AM   #10

I dealt with the call back issue from my dealer, Fun Town RV. It was very difficult to get a call back. I was told multiple times my unit was ready and the service adviser just needed to look it over and call me back. No call ever came and then I would find out it was not ready. The sad issue is, I would have not worried much about it at all if someone would have just said we need four more weeks, six more weeks, or whatever. Rather than that, I was told a specific date t he camper would be ready and then nearly two months after that I was still dealing with the service adviser every week. I will never understand why I could not have had real expectations set in the beginning, or if a problem came up, all I wanted was new reasonable expectations set.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #11

just a slightly different experience with camping world. I bought a progressive industries ems system but then looked at what was involved to install it (all the contortions to get inside the compartment) and decided against doing it myself. so went to the local camping world and asked if they could do it. got an estimate and made an appointment to have them install it. if I had the trailer to them by 9:00 in the morning they would have it done that day. i had it there on time and i came back that afternoon and it was done. they told me they had put power on it and it was working properly. so i was satisfied. took the trailer out a couple of days later and absolutely no shore power on one 50 amp leg! they missed connecting one of the output legs from the ems!
Old 09-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
I dealt with the call back issue from my dealer, Fun Town RV. It was very difficult to get a call back. I was told multiple times my unit was ready and the service adviser just needed to look it over and call me back. No call ever came and then I would find out it was not ready. The sad issue is, I would have not worried much about it at all if someone would have just said we need four more weeks, six more weeks, or whatever. Rather than that, I was told a specific date t he camper would be ready and then nearly two months after that I was still dealing with the service adviser every week. I will never understand why I could not have had real expectations set in the beginning, or if a problem came up, all I wanted was new reasonable expectations set.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Just tell me the truth. If they had said hey its going to be 2 months I would have said ok lets set something up for the winter when I will not be using. That way if it takes 4 months we are all still good. But it starts with the truth on both Camping world and Forest River.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #13

Truth seems like a hard concept for some businesses to understand. Sometimes, businesses are pushed into not being as transparent as they should be by a few unreasonable customers. The business finds it easy to state what the customer wants to hear and make the happy for the short run and then deal with the problems later. For me, I want to know upfront and then I will be happier long term. I still feel like long term customer happiness is better than just getting someone happy for the short term.
Asrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #14

I don't know how far you want to take your camper for work, but I highly recommend B&R Campers here in Mobile. I've been told they a regional service center for Forest River. I've seen FR brands they don't sell in their shop several times. They only had my Wildwood for 5 days to replace the infamous 15k Dometic A/C, and when the new unit was leaking they fixed it while I waited on it.
Yes, I bought my Wildwood from them, and I'll buy my next one there as well.
MarkyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaMan View Post

The Minute I read "Camping World" I automatically knew the outcome

X2 Tim
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennyd96 View Post
We called Camping World of Calera
What would you do????

Sorry for the rant just going crazy.
Lenny,

I just read your post, and here is what I suggest you do in the future (or if CW reneges again after Friday)

Give Johnson RV a Call they are close to where you are at (Assuming you are in the Birmingham area)

Johnston RV Center | Decatur, AL | Alabama RV Dealer | New & Used Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes For Sale | Parts, Service, Repair |*Blue Ridge, Cherokee, Cruiser, Freedom Express, Grey Wolf, Work and Play, Wildcat, Wilderness

Another dealer to call is Bankston Motorhomes - they are a bit farther away from Birmingham, but are a equally better alternative to CW

New and Used RVs For Sale in Alabama and Tennessee | Bankston Motor Homes

Hope things work out for you!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 12:28 PM   #17

Lenny, I don't think I saw in your original post, did you purchase your trailer at this Camping World?

Matt
Old 09-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #18

We had the same run around with the hybrid we purchased from c w. First on warranty work, when they kept it out of prime camping season for over a month. Then for hail damage repair where they, essentially, screwed me out of insurance money for the work that I did so we could get still enjoy the remaining week of our vacation, and get it home. It was in their care for 2months of prime camping time while nothing was being done.
Needless to say, we didn't purchase our new tt from c w. I still purchase small items from them for the good Sam discount, and L P on Tuesday/Wednesday discount. But I studiously avoid giving them any other business. Any business with Such bad service simply doesn't deserve to stay in business. And, for sure, they don't deserve mine.
BTW, we continue to read this same crap about c w across the country, so I must presume that this is their standard operating procedure, and not just a local issue!
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:04 PM   #19

well thank god we didn't buy from CW. we got ours from an small dealer in Knoxville Tn. thankfully we have only had a couple minor issues. missing a bumper plug, and the propane regulator valve died, we live about 100 miles from them. i called them and they ask it i was comfortable changing it out, so i wouldn't have to drive 2 hours, said i was and they Fedx over night no questions ask. this is not our first TT or the first dealer we have dealt with, having said that if you live in e.Tennessee i highly recommend Northgate RV. i have learned that it is really helpful to be a DIY'er if you own a TT
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
Sunstar35F

New RV - New Parts from the Manufacturers harder to get

It has been my experience (4th RV) that when you buy a brand new RV, the parts used are often brand new and there is not an inventory supply of them available at the RV manufacturer which contributes to the delay in getting the parts from the parts manufacturer. After a year or two of using the same part in their RVs they do a better job of stocking the parts especially if they have a history of them having initial failures. I'm a proponent of buying an RV that is a year or two old so the first owner has worked out all the initial kinks.....
mjpallone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, forest river