Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
RAC

McGeorges Ashland, VA

Don't ask me why these guys are the #1 dealer in VA. I found them to be arrogant, condescending and purely interested in selling you ANYTHING, no matter what vehicle you were pulling with. 1st trip out there, we were specific and told them we were taking our time, and didn't want to be bothered or pressured. 2 Letters and 3 phone calls later I asked what they didn't understand about us not wanting to be bothered. I found them to be 2-6 K more expensive than anyone else. I know there are others on this board who probably feel exactly as I do about them. If you buy from them, you get what you deserve.
RAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 05:42 AM   #2

They walk around the Richmond RV show like the own the place. We quit even stopping by their area when we go there. They were at the DC show this year and had the same attitude. Eventually it will come back to haunt them. I'll stick with my little dealer here in Lynchburg. He's great.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #3

Sounds like a horror story waiting to happen.
Buyer beware?

Nina
Hitched up to a White 1999 F-150 Ext. Cab
Number of days camped in 2014-2
(4 more days reserved)
NINA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:58 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I bought a new trailer from them in l987, back when they were located on W. Broad Street in Richmond. Back then I was young, dumb and trusting. In a matter of days, after I had time to mentally process my dealings with them, I resolved to never again set foot on any lot associated with the McGeorge name. To this day I never have.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #5
RAC

Dim, would Mc George Toyota Scion be one of theirs? If so, I understand the car salesman attitudes now.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #6
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Wow...sounds like others know of this dealer. Doesn't sound good...

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
Wow...sounds like others know of this dealer. Doesn't sound good...
They periodically get bashed on RV.net. One of their salesmen will log on and start defending them to the point that he breaks the rules and the thread gets locked. That is by design.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I've often wondered how many "sleepers" are out there in the groups. I suspect there are, and that most are a bit more subtle about what they do than getting the thread locked.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I've often wondered how many "sleepers" are out there in the groups. I suspect there are, and that most are a bit more subtle about what they do than getting the thread locked.
The McGeorge people purposely get the threads locked so they will fall off the board without further commentary. They are pretty sharp. Wonder if they will ever find this forum?

Old 07-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #10
RAC

I could believe that. My "little friend" in my head was screaming at me while on their lot......"Run away!!!!!!"
Old 07-27-2007, 10:36 AM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Over at the OUTBACKERS site...we call RV.NET...."The Dark Side".
That place can be pretty tough sometimes.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #12

We got our Puma online from Michigan. A dealer at the Fredricksburg show was a very bad rep for Puma. He could not touch the price that we got our trailer or my sisters trailer. It was about 5 to 8K more than our price. He told us who is going to work on it? Not us. You didn't buy it here so good luck. I understand to a certain point. But, rude to say the least. He does not have to worry about our Puma's and he sure didn't have to worry about us sending any business his way... I thought if you buy a certain brand of camper, car or truck that you can take it to a different dealer and get it worked on.. But, I guess you can't... Oh well, they will lose alot of business. Forest River may need to look into this dealership and teach them customer service...
JanVanDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:19 PM   #13

Not all dealers are so dumb to pass up repair income. I bought in Mich. and my closest FR dealer is taking care of my wolfpack, even though he doesn't sell that particular unit. He just calls FR HQ for info when needed.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM   #14

I recently purchased my 2008 rockwood from DODD RV in Portsmouth, Va. I felt like I got a good price and it was a real freindly and courteous group of people. However I was told Televisions were digital.NOT. I drove home with 30psi in all tires, should be 50. I specifically asked about recalls and was told none were outstanding. Found out fri my refrig is recalled. Heater anode gone completely and a few other problems I will handle myself. Dealer did pay for 3 converters for tvs and price of an anode rod which I thought was generous. They are 125 miles from me but I would recommend them again. Nice group of people.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #15

I am sorry you got a bum rap from Mcgeorge in Ashland. We bought our Georgetown from them, but had to barter with two other dealers before they thought they were going to loose the sale. They finally came down to our price and we traded. And they gave me market value for my trade in. That was back in the summer of 2007. I know that both salesmen have retired that we delt with since then. I have had no problems with the service department. They have treated me OK. I hate pressure too and will walk away when someone does that to me.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I have had dealings with McGeorge's and found you just have to be firm with the sales people. After telling a salesman what I was looking for, he told me I could pull any trailer on the lot with my F150........so I use another salesman. I have had pretty good experiences with them at the Richmond RV Show. I don't care much for all of the hoopla they present at the show......but it is a great place to compare a bunch of units.

I ended up not buying from McGeorge's.......not because of the sales pressure.......I just deal with that and walk away if I want. They just didn't have a trailer to suit my needs.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #17

They have a new general manager, who is more friendly then the last one, I have 2 salesmen I have bought from and enjoy both of them, bought the 08 378ts from them and then the 10 tour, would go back if I buy another new one.
bad1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM   #18
Happy Camper

McGeorges Ashland, VA

My wife and I just purchased a 2015 Prime Time Lacrosse 324RST from them and have been pretty happy with our purchase. The salesman was new and was just learning about travel trailers. I hope they are there for us when we need service.

2015 Prime Time, Lacrosse 324RST Touring Edition, Travel Trailer
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Big Horn Laramie, 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
W3NS is offline   Reply With Quote